“beautiful tasting room”

$87.00*
and up
Heritage Region Wine Tour
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We visited Running Hare for a tasting in December. Their setting is beautiful. The winery is set on top of a hill with a european looking building. The inside of the tasting room (more correctly, tasting building), is large and has plenty of seating if you brought a picnic lunch, which we did. They do weddings here and I imagine the beautiful tasting room is thanks to it being used for wedding receptions. There are beautiful views from the tasting room as well. They have a small offering of wines, I think they had about 7 we tasted that day. I enjoyed their reds, and they offer a red dessert wine from Chamborcin, which I enjoyed. I also thought it was unique, because I had not seen a dessert Chamborcin before. The woman who poured our tasting was friendly and informative. I think this would be a very nice place to visit in the summer and have a picnic outside.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Running Hare has a great ambience, a rarity in our beautiful country area of Southern Maryland. Some friends asked me to join them for the New Year's celebration. I was looking for something to do with dancing, good food and classier than everyday.

Overall, it was a great evening mostly because of the company I was with. The food was good. I enjoyed the band.

Cons: The price was $125. per person which did not include alcohol. The entrance from the street was not well marked or lit and very difficult to find at night as I had to arrive 1/2 hour after the party began. Where to park was confusing and not well marked (and scary). I drove down some back dirt road following the "Event Parking" sign to a narrow dead end. I could barely turn around. Finally I parked in the employee parking area. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out where to park.

The Staff removed all the food very early in the evening. Also, when I would go to dance, the wait staff had taken my food and drinks even though I was not finished. I am not sure if the wait staff wanted to get home early or what the reason for doing this but it was annoying. They served deserts on tiny napkins rather than plates. The salad bowl was depleted for a while before the staff refilled it.

Ok, I felt that they didn't always have the best interest of the customer in mind and that they really cut corners.

That said, I would consider going again because the location and friendships. Do I hope they make some improvements for the $125. fee. YES!!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My group of friends and I recently visited Running Hare Vineyard in Prince Frederick, Maryland. It's a pleasant 1 hour drive from Washington, DC and the beautiful fall leaves made it a more scenic adventure. The vineyard offers $5 tasting that allows you to try 7 different wines from Running Hare's winery. Many of the grapes are imported from California, Washington State and South America. After the tasting, we had a picnic on the grounds and a self guided tour of the vineyard. There are plenty of tables, chairs and picnic umbrellas with live music at 1pm. Keep in mind that there's no food onsite so plan to bring a picnic to enjoy your wine. The combination of the wonderful wine, hospitality and nice weather made for a very memorable experience. We will definitely come back.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Friendly, staff, good wine, good music, good time! pack a picnic and stay a while. Wouldn't mind tying the knot here either:) Great views and great place for an outdoor wedding ceremony!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

What a lovely Italian setting to enjoy wine in the Southern Maryland countryside! You can sit amongst the grapevines under a Tuscan style villa with your own picnic. We picked a delicious wine to enjoy after a wine tasting and then listened to the live music provided. The atmosphere is so relaxing and you feel transported to an Italian winery. The staff are wonderful. There were many small groups that were meeting there to enjoy the day together, sharing their appetizers and wine. You have to give it a try!

1  Thank krofly