“Late lunch, small salad was perfect.”

Sugo Osteria & Pizzeria
Reserve with OpenTable
Sugo Osteria & Pizzeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 57 Restaurants in Potomac
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sugo is brought to you by Chef Dimitri Moshovitis and the Cava Mezze group. Hand made pastas, artisan pizzas, hand crafted cocktails and much more in this fun Italian Pizzeria.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

A friend and I stopped for a late lunch. The waiter was very attentive without being intrusive, which I very much appreciate. We both had salads which were a decent size but not too large for lunch. I liked that we didn't waste any food. Mine had very tasty shrimp on it. So many times now days you are given a huge salad of mostly greens and I end up leaving half of it. Perhaps it would not have been enough for a large man but then again, he probably wouldn't be ordering just a salad.

We did have to get the host's attention, as a waiter was talking to him and he didn't hear us come in but I felt the waiter should have stopped talking when customers walks in.

The atmosphere would be very nice for dinner and I intend to go back in the evening sometime.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I don't think local Cava fans who try out this place will be disappointed. We enjoyed the food, ambiance and service, and definitely plan to return. The "small plates" approach gives nice options in that you can eat as little or as much as you like (and thereby control the cost too). The two of us ordered 5 plates plus 1 dessert, which made for a pretty big meal, we also took some home. The menu is quite traditional - Italian/American - and well executed. I particularly liked the risotto, had the mushroom which was excellent, so I would go back just for the purpose of trying the asparagus risotto next time! The steak special was also very gooed, and my husband loved the scallops. We felt the dessert was a little more controversial, we split the cheesecake - it was a quality cheesecake but the balsamic sauce was very strong. Very pleasant waiter and nicely paced service. I see others found it loud but I did not, especially compared to Founding Farmers nearby, and, the room is very spacious compared to the original Cava.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I stopped in here after deciding not to wait an hour for dinner at another near-by restaurant. Boy are we glad we did!! The food was delicious - and the service wonderful. It's a neat concept that we didn't 'get' when the waiter described it - but definitely understood as we proceeded through our meal. You can share everything (if you want) - and that's just what we did - Caesar salad, mushroom risotto, seared scallops, sausage and peppers in brioche - and for dessert tastings of three different gelato cones and house made doughnuts stuffed with banana and chocolate!! In addition they serve house made bread and killer butter. It was really a neat place - noisy for sure - but fun. Saw a family who had three kids - at the end of their meal the kids were brought cotton candy - and boy were they thrilled! Next time we may have to bring along the grandkids! We would highly recommend this place -

Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

This is an interesting restaurant just off the 275. The service is really quite good and the wait staff have good knowledge of the menu items (as they should).

The salad I had here was quite bitter, and it wasn't because of the dressing. Also, for an Italian restaurant, the pizza was very average, and the mozzarella very, very oily.

Good vibe and it's a good place for lunch, but I wouldn't expect extraordinary food.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Went here for the first time with another couple. Didn't notice much about the ambiance. Our waiter was new for the restaurant but was great! Friendly and available. Ask for Dave! Very dim lighting - you need your flashlight app to see the menu. It was noisy and hard to have a normal conversation. Drinks were strong. We started with tomato salad - surprisingly the tomatoes (in December!) were fresh tasting, and the combination with red onion and vinaigrette hit the spot. Eggplant caponata was absolutely delicious. Liked the fresh mozzarella but not the smokey and spicey tomato sauce under it. My favorite dishes were vegetables - the cauliflower and brussels sprouts (2 different dishes) were cooked perfectly and tasted really wonderful. Thought the veal meatballs were good; lasagna was ok; short ribs were good and the portion was easier to share. Our friends wanted to order the scallops because they had ordered it previously and remembered it as delicious. I would definitely recommend this dish! The pasta w/ bolognese sauce had a larger portion as well. (I find it annoying when you order a tapas dish and it has 3 pieces - like the scallops and the meatballs - usually there will be 2 or 4 people sharing.) So the pasta dishes were good for the table. I would recommend 6 or 7 dishes for 4 people. That would be plenty of food. Everyone at the table was dying over the fried banana and chocolate dessert. But I was loving the pumpkin cheesecake. Too bad it's seasonal. It was perfect for a crisp fall night. I am looking forward to coming here again.