“A Unique Accommodation and a Beautiful Setting”
Review of Bolger Center

Bolger Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Potomac
Emerald Isle, North Carolina
“A Unique Accommodation and a Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Bolger Conference Center located in scenic Potomic, Maryland provides an unusual hotel experience. Situated on a large campus with hiking and jogging trails, a postal museum, and several buildings, it really doesn't feel like a typical hotel at all. It is mainly used as a corporate training and conference center, but is also a great place to stay when just traveling for business or pleasure. The staff is gracious and helpful, food is very good, and being able to walk all over its park like grounds is very enjoyable. Room rates are quite reasonable for the DC area. Different buildings are different ages, so some rooms are more modern in furnishing and decor than others. There is ample parking and two restaurants on site, although they are not always open. It is close to shopping areas and easily reached from major highways. The facility has a fascinating history, having been a private estate, convent, school and US Postal training facility. There is a pool and fitness room. We were there for a multi day, weekend social event and very much enjoyed our entire stay.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite!! Spacious, comfortable, not too expensive and includes a large living area, two...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
VKhokhar, General Manager at Bolger Center, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments and also for giving us an opportunity to serve you. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your experience with us. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

VKhokhar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I spent a week here for a corporate training class. Overall, very good experience except for the room. The campus is beautiful, with lots of grass, trees, trails in a residential area. It is about 25-30 minutes from Reagan airport. The meeting rooms we used were very good as well.

Highs and lows:

Highs: Overall experience and the food. Being in a class, we ate all meals on site. (there is nothing close by either). They provide nutrition hubs for drinks and snacks at breaks. Everything provided was really good. There were healthy choices like fruit, berries, granola bars, dried fruit. Lunch and dinner were way beyond expectations. The food was served in a cafeteria kind of setting. The food was varied, had lots of choices for vegetarians to meat lovers, and it was all well prepared, not over cooked or anything. There was always a good salad bar, 2 soups, and several main courses plus good desserts. Soft drinks and coffee provided, wine and beer available for extra.

Lows: My room. I was in a "single" and it was ridiculously small. There was a bed with about a foot of clearance on the sides and foot of the bed. That was the whole room except for the entry way. The bathroom was super small and hard to even get to the toilet. There was not even space for my roller bag. I had to step over it all week in my entry. Definitely upgrade to a standard I believe it is called, which is larger. I have stayed in lots of European hotels that are small, but this room was worse.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a single room, but get a bigger room like a standard. Some of my colleagues did this...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MadridClydo
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I first discovered the Bolger Center during an online search in June 2011. I stumbled across the web page and immediately was attracted by the grounds. I reserved a room for July and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I decided to come again this January as a mini-vacation to unwind and relax. Again, I was very pleased with the service and room. I especially want to recognize the lifeguard who was very helpful to my boyfriend and I. He was very friendly and polite while we were at the pool, offering activities and answering our questions about the fitness center. I plan on making the Bolger Center my personal getaway as I am never disappointed when I come.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Sapphireangeljb
VKhokhar, General Manager at Bolger Center, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for choosing us as your preferred getaway.

Oak Ridge
Reviewed January 22, 2012

The Bolger Center is an excellent conference center and hotel. The staff is very friendly, the conference rooms are large and well supported, and the buffet restaurant, when open, is superb. Yes, the rooms are small. Yes, the restaurant is not open on weekends for dinner. Yes, it is like being on a cruise ship. Yes, the pool was being used by a swim team when I was there. Yet I was there for a training session, I was only in my room to sleep, and when I went to the pool to swim, they gladly opened up a lane for me. What could be more fun than doing laps when a swim team of ten year olds is in the building. They didn't bother me and thought it was cool that an old guy was still swimming. The Pony Express lounge is a great place to hang out after the meeting and has pool tables, darts and a table shuffleboard. Prices are a little rich for a business budget, yet the service was always helpful and friendly. I have to reinforce the support of the conference service staff -- the break area was always well stocked with healthy and some not-so healthy goodies, and again, the staff was very helpful. We are looking for an offsite location for our longer training programs in DC and Bolger has moved to the top of our list.

Room Tip: I think the Osgood Building has the best rooms. the numbered buildings are dormitories. If you sta...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words and constructive feedback as it helps us grow on regular basis. We will continue to focus on adding value to your experience through enhancement of our service standards and look forward to hosting your future meetings.

New York City
Reviewed January 16, 2012

If I can help someone else not to have to endure this terrible and depressing place, maybe my miserable stay would be worthwhile. This is not a hotel, more of a motel. At best, it feels like a public school building that is run-down. It used to be used for postal employees as a training center and it has not been redone and it is being advertised as if it has. It is not the same level as an Embassy Suites or standard Holiday Inn and it provides very few hotel services. It is a cinderblock, jail like complex that feels most like a cheap dorm sort of living or like living on the grounds of a very old hospital. The grounds are beautiful, but the rooms are the smallest, oldest and sub-par rooms I have ever stayed in. If you expect a dorm sort of living, maybe this might be okay, but our room was called a suite. Tiny, tiny rooms, cheap, very low ceilings and depressing cinder block halls... do not make this mistake. It is a shame that the whole place isn't knocked down so the property can be properly utilized.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Laura J
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I regret to hear that your experience and observations did not live up to your expectations. The Bolger Center offers a campus style setting that is ideal for many business and leisure travelers. The property is built on 83 acres of beautiful landscape (recognized with “The Beautification Award" by the Montgomery county), and hosts not only several group meetings, but also many weddings and social events throughout the year. We constantly strive to enhance our product to meet the ever-changing trends and needs of our guests. The property has gone through numerous renovation projects since its opening. We are pleased to announce the recently added feature to our website which allows guests to take a virtual tour of our property. We will continue to add more value to our products and services based on your valuable feedback.
Mid-Atlantic
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Very gracious check-in staff on our two recent visits. Guests should allow time to enjoy the grounds, walking trail, etc.---a peaceful oasis. The Osgood Center rooms, though on the small side, are efficiently-outfitted and well-kept.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed here in March 2011. Our room was clean and ample enough for 2 adults and 2 kids (12 &13 yrs). The pool is a little inconvenient to get to but it is nice and big. The layout of the building can be confusing and the stairwells a little dated but not enough to keep us from coming back. We had lunch in their restaurants - both times we received awesome food. The staff was always nice. The location is close to a subway station and is nice and quiet at the end of the day. This was our first trip to this area and we would definitely go again (and already booked for this year)!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potomac
Bethesda Marriott Suites
Doubletree Hotel Bethesda
Bethesda Court Hotel
Bethesda Court Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bethesda

Been to Bolger Center? Share your experiences!