“Taste treats with a local flavour”
Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Potomac
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Montrose Road West
Transit: Take the Metro Red Line to the Rockville or Bethesda station • Take the Montgomery County Ride On 47 bus to the corner of Seven Locks Rd. and Montrose Rd. • Walk north along Seven Locks Road 0.1 mile to Cadbury Ave. • Turn right, walk 0.2 mile to 12505 Park Potomac Ave.
Description: MoCo's Founding Farmers is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU. serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on scratch-cooking. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain. However, it does mean that we are working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I visited Founding Farmers with family. It was very busy, but courteous staff took the pain out of waiting. The Farmer's Grill was recommended; it samples several grilled treats. All of them were delicious and perfectly prepared and presented. An accompanying glass of lager was the ideal complement. FF has a great menu, friendly staff and some delightful, quirky features, like the Gents restroom, which is signed with the silhouette of a longhorn head. Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Founding Farmers

Reviewed November 25, 2013

After being recommended, I decided to give it a try for a work day lunch. First, I love the look and feel of the place. Very inviting. Service was outstanding. I. Loved the variety of the menu. I ordered the shrimp and grits, and the deviled eggs. Deviled eggs were just ok. Shrimp and grits were different than I've had, a little more soupy. Taste was good. I'll give them another try, as there is so much variety.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Had high hopes for this restaurant, being in Montgomery County and close to many great farms and local food artisans - but besides the homemade ice cream and bacon - the food was just average. We went as a family, for Sunday brunch and agreed that the bacon - offered with 4 different glazes (we had the black pepper/maple syrup) - was worth the trip alone. It was smoky, meaty with just enough crispy fat around the edges, and incredibly flavorful - thumbs up from everyone. Had high hopes for the Pastrami Hash, which the server noted was a favorite - which turned out actually to be a green pepper hash with a few bits of pastrami and sadly lacking in seasoning. The eggs were poached well, but the tangy creole mustard screamed for more hash to balance the plate. We also ordered the fried chicken and waffles, the chicken was tasty, crispy and moist, waffles were crispy but had some strange unplaceable taste - wasn't bad, just different, maybe unexpected. We all agreed again, that the bakery/pastry items were very good - Buck's beignets were eggy, hot and tasty, closer to popover consistency than traditional beignets (and I've had a lot of beignets in NOLA) - but still a great start, and accompanied by caramel, chocolate and raspberry sauce. Apple pie too, was very good, with a nice flaky pastry, and delicious homemade vanilla ice cream. Contrary to some of the other reviews the service was good, we were seated immediately on Sunday morning at 10 AM, even with a long line in front of us. Our server was attentive, offered suggestions readily, and even added a birthday candle to my son's dessert (unremarkable chocolate mousse cake with a very tasty homemade raspberry ice cream) without being asked. Atmosphere was noisy, and crowded but that's our style and with kids made things easy. We liked looking at the décor - open warehouse style, with big jars of every pickled vegetable imaginable kept our interest. Sides and drinks really raised the prices up ($6 for 3 slices of bacon, $4 for every drink - and made up more than half of our bill). Overall, a good concept that fails a bit in execution.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I think this restaurant, which seems to have its following, is very crowded and noisy, and that their food and service are not outstanding. I was overbilled on my credit card, more than the actual amount on my receipt, but received no response when I phoned the manager nor when I e-mailed their contact address. I don't expect a refund for this small amount, but am disappointed to receive no reply. They appear to be quite indifferent to customer relations. There are so many other really fine restaurants nearby in this area that I would more recommend.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Good food and well priced however service was spotty. Booked a reservation via open table and discovered there was a long line with people who also had a reservation. Very disorganized and took a while to be seated despite a reservation.