“Freshness...”
Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Potomac
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Montrose Road West
Transit: Take the Metro Red Line to the Rockville or Bethesda station • Take the Montgomery County Ride On 47 bus to the corner of Seven Locks Rd. and Montrose Rd. • Walk north along Seven Locks Road 0.1 mile to Cadbury Ave. • Turn right, walk 0.2 mile to 12505 Park Potomac Ave.
Description: MoCo's Founding Farmers is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU. serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on scratch-cooking. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain. However, it does mean that we are working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The thing I love most about Founding Farmers is that you can taste the freshness in their food. Their food is simple, no fluffs, and delicious. Their sodas are made by themselves, definitely worth a try. The only downside to the restaurant is how loud it is. It's hard to carry on a conversation sometimes, especially if you sit at the tables near the bar.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I heard lots about the restaurant and decided to go there with a friend to try it out.
It is easy to get to from Virginia, there is lots of parking in the evening. I booked my table online and would strongly recommend advance booking, especially for the one in DC.
Food choices are good, pretty varied and staff is not bad at explaining them to you. We both selected the super oven chicken, baked at 800 degrees. It is definitely a great choice and a very unique dish. Meat is succulent and outside is crispy. The only but I had were the beans a bit underdone. I wish we had tried some of the salads or starters but we did not want to overeat. Drinks are also great, and worth trying.
Our server was not the most attentive one I have seen there, but was OK, hence only 4 stars. I would expect service to be better than what we got.
The place is busy but not overwhelmingly loud, you can still conduct a sensible discussion with you friends.
Overall, it I would definitely recommend the this restaurant to anyone searching for a good place to eat at a reasonable price.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have eaten here 2-3 times in the past year. The food is interesting and plentiful. Some dishes are WOW, and some are a little weird. The outdoor patio area is right on an ugly concrete parking lot, with lots of highway noise from I-270, so its not very pleasant. But the indoors area is interesting, albeit a bit noisy.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visited Founding Farmers on Christmas day as we wanted to go out to eat but options were limited in terms of establishments that were open. We had no difficulty getting a reservation, even though the restaurant was clearly doing a brisk business. We were seated promptly, and our waiter provided acceptable service. Decor is clever and interesting, and the ambiance and atmosphere were "busy" without being too loud or annoying. One person who had on a sport coat and tie said he felt overdressed.

Unfortunately, it took FOREVER for the food to arrive, and FOREVER for the dessert to arrive as well (this is in stark contrast to the nearby "big draw" Clyde's Tower Oaks Lodge, where lightning-fast food delivery is a hallmark, just as it seems to be at all Clyde's locations). I had beef and my dining companions each had different versions of salmon; my entree was good but not great, but both people who had salmon said it was excellent. The mashed potatoes were quite tasty, although the green beans I had were clearly very fresh although crunchy to the point of being borderline-undercooked. The salmon entrees each came with amazingly unequal portions of side dishes (one had nearly twice the number of mashed potatoes as the other). We split a piece of vanilla bean cheesecake and a slice of red velvet cake for dessert, and both were excellent and well-proportioned.

Free two hour parking is available on site. The restaurant itself is on the ground floor of an office building in a new development, and if you don't know where you're headed, you'll swear you've made a wrong turn as you head through several blocks of newly-built brownstone townhouses, so be sure to have printed out a map or be confident in your GPS before getting in the car.

Bottom line: if you're fixated on the organic aspect of the restaurant and keen to support family farms, you'll probably love it, and if you're going for the food and to see what the hubbub is about, you'll probably enjoy yourself and feel you got good value for your money, but not necessarily rave about the experience to all your friends and not necessarily put Founding Farmers at the top of your list of "must return soon" favorite restaurants.

1  Thank Williamson5
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Went to Founding Farmers based on the recommendation of a friend. We were not dissapointed.

My Wife and 2 friends of ours went for the Sunday brunch before heading to the Kennedy Center to see a performance of the Messiah.

Everyone at the table (except for me) had 2 eggs over medium with hash browns, bacon and drinks. I had stuffed french toast with Blueberry compote. Everyone agreed that the meals were good. The waiter went out of his way to make sure we what we need. My only dissapointment was not being able to get the "Bacon Lollipops" that I had heard a lot about. When I asked for them, I was told we were 15 minutes to early.

The atmosphere kind of reminded us of Brian Voltagio's restaurants, a kind of rustic modern look. it was nice.

A little expensive. However, we were in Potomac, MD. The very essence of expensive, I suppose.