“German fast food at best”

Prost German Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Port Deposit
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We decided to give Prost a second chance and again were let down. I lived in Germany for nearly twenty years and have gotten better food at the gas stations along the autobahns. My wife ordered schnitzel and it was a disaster, deep fried and then microwaved to order with what tasted like instant gravy. The sausages and potato salad were okay at best. The beer, they could not mess up and was of course good. Do not waste your time on the food.

5  Thank 071157

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We drive up from Baltimore (about 50 miles) just to try this place. We are not disappointed.

The food is fantastic and the prices are great. The beer cheese soup is a must. We were also impressed with the beer menu which claims to have 80 varieties (to be honest, I didn't count) of German beers. The portions are huge so you may want to share.

The accordion player made the atmosphere lively and was not intrusive.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Being of German descent and living in Germany for a year, I can appreciate the authenticity of this restaurant. The food is delicious with hearty portions. I ordered jager schnitzel and my husband had sauerbraten. It was just like I remember from Germany. The service was very fast and friendly. We totally enjoyed the experience and will be back to try more menu items. Keep up the good work!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This restaurant has been open at this location for about a year. I have eaten there about six
times. There is a good variety of German draft beer and lots of choices of bottled German beer. The food is excellent and the serving size is very filling. The waiters and waitresses are friendly, knowlecgeable and attentive. On weekends, sometimes there is an accordion player. The decore is very German. A fun time for all!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Went to Prost (Bavarian for 'cheers'; this is where the hosts/owners are from) last night with 3 friends. Second time at their new location in Port Depost, MD (previously in Aberdeen). Plenty of room at this location with wooden tables and bench type seats (most have backs) and this is my only complaint. The dining room does get rather noisy when full. My friend's father who is an older gentleman found it very uncomfortable by the time we were finished with our meal. It was okay for me. Our reservation was for 5:30 and we were the first group in the dining room. It filled up considerably in the next hour so reservations are a good idea. They have a large selection of German beers, mine was a bottled beer for $2.95 and the guys had larger beers for $7.95. The servers were very pleasant and attentive young people dressed in German attire (lederhosen for the guys and dirndl dresses for the ladies) Two of our party ordered house salads and another started with two authentic Bavarian soft pretzels served with a beer cheese dip. They all enjoyed their selections. For dinner we all ordered Jager-Schnitzel, a huge breaded and fried pork cutlet in a mushroom cream sauce served with a heaping side of spatzle for $15.95. The food comes out of the kitchen piping hot. I get this every time I eat at Prost; it really is one of the best dinners I've had anywhere. I generally don't eat fried foods but this is done perfectly with no grease on the plate. The portions are enormous and you are served a basket of warm rolls and butter (1 for each diner; you have to pay for any additional that you request and they do tell you this). We skipped dessert because we were so full (even with taking half of my meal home!) and I am just not a dessert lover. My friend has gotten the Apple Strudel before and really likes it; I didn't think it was so good and not at all like the strudel I had when I lived in Germany but you can't judge desserts by my taste. They have what looked like a bar area at the other end of the restaurant and another dining area off the dining room that may have been outdoor seating or for parties but not sure. Note that they are closed on Monday and Tuesday. Well worth a trip for some really good, authentic German food.