“Dirty, smelly and flies”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Pocomoke City
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We weren't asking for much but we do expect a clean room. This room was not. There was a bad smell throughout the room. The bathroom was not clean and the tub leaked. There were at least a dozen flies in the room when we first came and I had to kill them all. Or so I thought as a couple more appeared. Wifi was very spotty and I had to call the office to try and reset it. We booked through Expedia who stated that a roll away bed would be an extra $10/night. But the motel said no, it's $15/night. They did have a breakfast each morning which was OK but the coffee was not. In the end, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Every time we tried the key, the handle would not let us in. My friend tried, I tried, and the manager came and it opened. Every time we needed to get in, same scenario. The room was dark and dank. We could see the shower wall never dried, so there is mold growing behind the wall. At night the air conditioner seemed to be pumping in toxic smells from outside. A woman two doors down knocked on our door and asked if our room smelled awful. She could not stay because of her asthma. The continentall breakfast was pretty sparse. The ice machine is locked up in the lobby at night, so we could not get ice for our trip. Migrant workers use this place and drink beer outside most nights. We felt uncomfortable going to the pool as we had to pass by them. All the hotels in Chincoteague want one week's reservation during the pony swim, so we were stuck with the EconoLodge. It needs renovation! Do NOT go there.

Room Tip: Pass this place and go to Ocean City, MD.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I am rating this 4 out of 5 stars, with the assumption that this is out of Econo Lodge level hotels. this wasn't a 4 star hotel, but that wasn't what I was expecting. It was a roadside motel.

I booked an Econo Lodge with great trepidation, but it was the only place relatively nearby Chincoteague on their peak week of the season (the pony swim). They also did not require a multi night stay as did other hotels.

The lodge was clean, recently renovated and much more than I expected for a motel where you park in front of your room. The front desk clerk, who I suspect was an owner, was quite pleasant and helpful. It appears that one section of the hotel was more recently renovated than others, and she very kindly put most of the guests in that section -- apparently, the rooms were a little bigger and everything was newer.

They had cable, HBO. Bathroom was spotless. Carpet (which is sometimes sketchy in motels) was fine. Linens were modern and clean. It was quiet. I have absolutely no complaints!

One note -- if you use your GPS to find the hotel, you will end up in the middle of a cornfield! I had to call to find the place. But, I noted that throughout Chincoteague, so I suspect that it has something to do with a NASA facility nearby and a built in error for GPS.

Room Tip: if you are on the street facing the hotel, the rooms in the back, left are larger and I suspect more...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank michelleg650
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed there for four nights and will stay again if am in the area. The room was just as advertised ,clean and upgraded and everthing works.I get the feeling that they will continue to renovate over time.
The property is just off Rt.13 but is very peaceful and quiet.The room divider works well because I had four nights of sound sleep. The free WIFI was great.
Overall its a nice property, and the owner were very nice .If you are not very picky type,then this place will work well for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gilbert C
Reviewed July 20, 2013

For a New Yorker who always in the hustle and bustle of life. This Econo Lodge was a pleasant surprise. Had just traveled in from AC N.J where I stayed for the night and was so disappointed with all aspect of that hotel. Yet I stayed hopeful that Pocomoke was going to be better. What surprise!!! Great and very friendly treatment, very nice clean and big size room. No bugs just calmness and at a great price. Woke up took mini power walk around the property then jumped in their great pool!!!
Owners were kind enough to work with me on late check out so I can enjoy the pool a bit longer till my next day trip. Nicely hidden treasure with great customer service in Pocomoke MD !!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anitamz
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Hotelrooms werer really shaby, and erverything including the bed was just about to fall appart. The relatievely important bathroom was just a distaster. Just about everything was loose. We werer lucky that we actually could get out some water after a 7hour drive.

The sleep quality was beacause of our ganster neighbor who was paying more attention to his car and sound system, rather to his family overall miserable.

I guess the only positive point if you really have to look for one, was the relatievely new television.

Room Tip: Sorry, but the rooms looked all the same.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'm not gonna lie, this place is a little sketchy. Ceiling damage from leaks, electrical outlets that literally push your plug back out of the wall, light fixtures with questionable backgrounds... it was a bit of a fire hazard. That being said, the service was good, very nice people. And they do the best with what they have, it was not dirty or smelly. We stayed one night after the weather cancelled our camping plans, and I'm still glad we had a roof... but I'll avoid coming back unless it gets remodeled.

• Stayed: July 2013
#3 of 21 in Chincoteague Island
Best Western Chincoteague Island
Best Western Chincoteague Island
#4 of 21 in Chincoteague Island

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!