“Taken aback”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Pocomoke City
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Taken aback”
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Had an usually hard time finding a place to stay in the area trying to visit my mother, as it appears some sort of fireman's event/convention was in town. We picked the EconoLodge as it was truly one of the only available that weekend without having to drive out to Chincoteague. Lovely and friendly staff, however our room was more than a little outdated - it was seriously off-putting. The windowsill was so rotted at the bottom out we worried the window might fall in. The a/c stunk heavily of mold/mildew and never cleared. The sheets were dingy and didn't smell particularly fresh. The furniture was very outdated but I would have been fine with that if I felt it was clean, but I didn't. Pulling out the nightstand to try to get to an outlet to charge my phone found a pile of hair/dirt/ashes that gave me the heebies. From some of the other reviews it sounds as if they're working on rehab'ing the rooms but they clearly hadn't gotten to ours yet. Even for the very low price, I was uncomfortable and had a very restless night. I'm afraid I would not return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Oakland, California
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Vijay is so friendly and engaging that this hotel really distinguishes itself from most hotels in this price range. The accommodations are spacious, there is a pool, the rooms are set back away from the road so it is quiet, and the beds are soft. Also, the internet is WAY better than most hotels in both speed and reliability. All of those details are really secondary to how exceptionally friendly and considerate the proprietors are; because, at the end of the day, it's nice to be welcomed in and not just rung up and handed a key.

Room Tip: just ask
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Maryland
Reviewed March 20, 2011

My border collie and I like to travel together. I wanted to explore the lower eastern shore area and spent a weekend doing it. I'd planned to stay at a B&B that accepts dogs then decided to save more than half the money and stay in a dog friendly motel. EconoLodge, and it's owner, Vijay, were very pleasant. The owner and his wife take pride in this place and do all they can to make it comfortable. Another person rating this motel said there were roaches -- none in my room, and there was no trash piled up outside as another reviewer said. The place is as clean as any chain I've stayed in, and they allowed my dog to stay too! Most dog-friendly motels (like Motel 6) stink. This one doesn't. I had a very pleasant experience. I will recommend, though, that you should get to the breakfast early if you want coffee. Some other patrons drank it all before I got there, so I had to (gladly) settle for juice, waffles, and pastries. I'll be back, and so will my dog, Skye. P.S. The complementary shampoo, or was it the soft water, really did wonders for my hair!

• Stayed March 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 19, 2011

The beds were comfortable, the room clean, good lineup on TV, free breakfast. The husband and wife managers were extremely accommodating.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Let me preface this review by saying I spend about 150 nights a year in hotel rooms while traveling on business....everything from Hyatts to budget hotels and I was very pleasantly surprised with this Econo Lodge. I had a later than typical check in, around 10pm. The manager (probably owner too) checked me in and even walked me to my room to make sure I could find it OK. He had turned on the heat in the room prior to my arrival so it was nice and warm. This is a single story, motor court type layout with parking in front of the rooms. My room was clean and comfortable and looked like it was a little larger than most of the other rooms. Micro/fridge, iron/ironing board, great Wi-Fi for the internet. This room had a whirlpool in the tub, didn't use the whirlpool so can't comment on it. Large walk-in closet area that also had a second lavatory in it. Everything was very clean. Bed and pillows were comfortable. Heat worked well and wasn't noisy.
Desk with rolling chair, decent lineup on the tv channels. Cont breakfast with waffles, bagels, toast, pastries, cereal, yogurt, coffee/juice/milk. Assorted jellies,peanut butter and cream cheese. Nice breakfast room. Overall this was an excellent stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I was impressed with the owner and staff; I've found that in so many of these budget hotels the owner is only interested in getting your money and nothing else. Different here, this owner was obviously committed to making sure his guests had a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Voorheesville, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We stopped here to stay one night on our way to the Outer Banks. The room was fairly clean but there were four or five flies buzzing around. Pool was not open. The photos on the website were not as accurate as they could have been. Breakfast was waffles (one choice), I was hoping they had some fresh fruit. Desk staff was very pleasant and let me borrow a cable to access the internet. (No Wireless)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for about six hours one night while we were traveling. It wasn't our first choice, but we took what we could get. It was right off Route 13, which was nice (what wasn't nice was that it was right off Route 13 - so we could hear traffic all night).

The place has been completely renovated in the past few months when they switched from Quality Inn to Econo Lodge. The woman at the front desk was extremely pleasant. We were able to park our car right outside our room, which made us feel safer.

The room was fine - the bed was clean, the carpet clean and the bathroom fairly clean. Our toilet wouldn't flush when we got in the room and the front desk came right over and fixed it. We did find out later when we tried to schedule a wake up call that the phone in our room didn't work, but that wasn't a huge deal since we had cell phones/BlackBerry's. The shower was hot in the morning; however, the towels were paper thin. The bed was comfortable though and I felt safe in the room. It wasn't luxury, far from it, but it was basic and not as horrible as I expected.

We didn't have the free breakfast they offer because we left around 5am. We didn't see the place in daylight at all (dark when we arrived, dark when we left)... maybe that's not a bad thing :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
#5 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Comfort Suites Chincoteague
Comfort Suites Chincoteague
#3 of 19 in Chincoteague Island

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!