“Not a Newer Fancy HIlton, but Still Nice”

DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pikesville
atlanta ga
“Not a Newer Fancy HIlton, but Still Nice”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

I have stayed at this Hilton many times in the past, and always thought the hotel needed some rennovations and updating.
This stay they had finally done it. My room had new carpet, new furniture, VERY comfortable new bedding, new lighting, new updated bathroom with new vanity and upgraded shower head.
Only thing they didnt put in the rooms was a new tv ( I was hoping for a flat screen) The lobby, hallways, elevators, could still use some updating, but get past the older exterior and common areas, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the large size of your room and the upgrades made to it.

The Hotel also gives any guest a gym pass to the indoor tennis facility and gym located next door to the hotel, and is even connected to the first floor hallway so you do not have to go outside to get to it. It is a really nice gym and tennis facility with a lot of equipment. Definitely a plus for staying here is the gym.

They used to have a good sports bar with good sports bar food ( and half price during happy hour ) but the sports bar has since been closed and they expanded the "fancy" restaurant, which used to be San Marco, but now is FountainView or something like that. The bar is now part of the Fountainview, but the menu for the bar was scaled down to a limited selection. I used to enjoy going to the gym and then hitting the sports bar for a bite afterwards. Even though the hostess welcomed me into the bar, I did feel a bit underdressed in my gym clothes. But the burger was good. :-)

I will definitely continue to stay here on my future business trips to Md, and with the new rennovations will be much happier as well.

Only complaint - Not a single snack vending machine anywhere in the hotels 5 floors of vending areas! Plenty of Soda machines, but if you want a late night snack, your screwed as the sundries shop closes early. The gym has a vending machine, but they lock the door from the hotel to the gym at 10:45. So go early or go hungry.

• Liked — Attached Gym, New Upgrades to Room including comfortable bedding
  • Disliked — No Snack Vending machines.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Philadelphia
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Stayed here while visiting family in the area, so was really only in need of a clean, quite place to sleep.

The staff was very friendly, the breakfast buffet in the morning was fabulous. However, it was expensive.

The room was Hilton quality, no complaints.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 4, 2007

I recently stayed in this hotel with a group of co-workers. We were in town for 5 days for work. This hotel stay was arranged by our company. Apparently our company had used them several times before.

The day we arrived, I approached the desk to check in. The lady asked for my credit card, which I provided. My company had informed me beforehand that they would require my CC for incidentals. At this time I wanted to verify this, so I asked if it was for incidentals because my company had already paid for the room. The lady told me that she just had to have my credit card to scan. A minute later she told me that my card had been declined. I informed her again that the card was supposed to be for incidentals, not for the room. My room was on my company's credit card. She brought out the manager (or maybe just A manager?).

The manager was extremely cold and had very little patience. After speaking with our company he informed all of us that we wouldn't have this problem if our company had bothered to follow the correct procedure. We apologized for the inconvenience. He didn't even respond. At this point we had been nothing but polite, and had not received so much as a smile since we walked in. We eventually got everything straightened out and the manager did not even look at us when he handed each of us our key cards.

After settling in, we decided to go downstairs for dinner. They had a new restaurant, and the old one was under construction. The man at the podium in front of the restaurant looked very agitated that we were standing in the hall near him. I politely told him that we were deciding on dinner, as we hadn't been aware that the other restaurant was closed. He rudely informed us that they had been open 2 weeks and the other restaurant was under construction as the SIGN SAYS. We were stunned. I couldn't understand why he was being so rude to us. We were still in travel clothes, so I made an assumption... "is this restaurant reservations only?" He SMIRKED at me, finally saying, "NO." At this point we are thinking we must be on candid camera. Surely no one is this blatantly rude to potential customers! Then he says, "Dinner or light fare." One of my co-workers didn't hear him and asked him to repeat the question. He then said, "I SAID DINNER or LIGHT FARE." We were so shocked that I just said dinner. We were seated by a man that was the first person to smile at us since we arrived at the hotel. The menu was short and very expensive. We unanimously decided that we were not paying that much for food at a restaurant where we were just treated like complete trash. We left.

I know this review is long, but felt I MUST share this experience so others can avoid it. I understand the need for high standards in staff behavior, but not rudeness and snootyness to the point of alienating your guests!

The room was very nice, but a lot of smokers on non-smoking floors (actually the hotel was non-smoking I believe?). I complained to the front desk when my bathroom filled up with cigarette smoke from the vent. Nothing was done. The third time I called down (over the course of 2 days) I actually heard someone knock on my neighbors door and ask them to stop smoking.

To give the hotel staff credit, the cleaning staff was great, and two of the ladies that work the front desk actually cracked a smile when speaking to us over the course of the week.

We are staying at another Hilton in the area next week. Let's hope things go better! This one, (Owings Mill) actually has refrigerators in the rooms, and is in walking distance from many restaurants.

• Liked — The bed was soft.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank khyren
Southern Arizona
Reviewed October 13, 2007

We had been working in the Baltimore area for a couple weeks and had been staying at Hilton properties because we are hhonors members. We moved to this Hilton after being in the White Marsh Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn.
Upon first arriving at the check in counter the two clerks began checking us in. They looked as though they had slept in their uniforms for a week. They were absolutely dishevelled looking. One's name tag was hanging from her jacket in such a way that one of the pins must have come undone and between the two of them, they didn't notice it. They did a good job of checking us in, so no complaints beside the poor appearance. After all, these are the first people and initial impression of a hotel for arriving guests.
I went to my room and immediately sat down and started checking my email. I looked up from the computer to see a small plastic bottle on the floor next to the head of the bed. I investigated it and found it to be an opened, half used bottle of Silk Personal Lubricant. Looking around the room it was obvious that the cleaning staff had not even bothered to vacuum the floor. There were peices of plastic and a strange blue pill on the floor.
I called the front desk and the manager arrived. He was very apologetic and asked me if I wanted to change rooms. I found it odd that he asked the question, but atleast he did get me a different room on a different floor.
As for the rest of the hotel, it's ghetto. It's not a Hilton level hotel, it's not even on par with a Motel 6. Everything was either dirty or scratched or dented or needed paint. It looked like the bathrooms had all been recently remodeled, but they really need to just sell the property to someone else and not fool us loyal Hilton Honors members into staying at a sub standard hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Wirey_Traveller
cleveland
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We just returned from a trip to Baltimore and we were pleasantlty surprised on this hotel. I was unsure of what we were getting into because no one really reviewed this hotel. The hotel was on the outskirts of Baltimore. It was easy and close to all of the attractions. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. They recommmended a great seafood restaurant 3 miles down the road. The bed was great! It was comfy and we slept great. The overall room looked like an average hotel room.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Becca R
Bellaire, TX (Houston)
Reviewed June 3, 2007

Front desk personnel (especially Ahmed) very helpful. Rooms have been renovated since our last stay. Excellent location next to 695.

• Liked — Location/Service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PaulO-55
NY,NY
Reviewed May 17, 2007

As a Hilton Honors member one would expect the perks that go with that designation. Not so here. Arrived late evening with a guaranteed no-smoking room reservation in hand only to find no room available. Had to "settle" given the hour and the room was changed the next day-but- to a room under renovation! The room was incomplete and lacking furnishings - so we had to ask for another room- and guess what- we got a fully furnished one! Why that could not have taken place in the first instance is beyond me. But it's indicative of the attidtude of the general mangement of this hotel. We had to ask for an "accomodation" for the inconvenience we experienced on arrival none was even offered. And when we asked to speak to the General Manager- our name and number were taken - but no return phone call from the GM, Ms. Comly. The Hilton name has gone downhill in so many respects- too bad- used to be you could rely on the name for quality - now like so much else- it's just a headline-

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank red5october
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pikesville
Ramada Pikesville/Baltimore North
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore / Woodlawn
Howard Johnson Pikesville
Howard Johnson Pikesville
#2 of 4 in Pikesville

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville? Share your experiences!