“Even when this becomes a Doubletree it's doubtful I'd recommend”

DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pikesville
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This Hilton is going through a transition from Hilton to Doubletree. I am writing this review in September and it's supposed to be a Doubletree by December.

But there are some basic issues with this property that will make it difficult to recommend as a good choice.

The hotel looks like a motel physically. The sound easily passes through the walls and especially between the windows and the outside. My room faced the pool which is closed for the season. I could clearly hear someone talking and I looked out and there were two people having a normal conversation two floors below me. If the pool had been open, the sound would have been a real problem as I am a light sleeper.

Can't say if the beds have been or will be replaced. Mine was not supportive.

This is probably the most critical review I've ever written for Trip Advisor, but come on...you can't call yourself a Hilton (or a Doubletree for that matter) and have such a crummy property.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DanCohen55
HiltonPikesville, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with your stay.

As we convert to be a DoubleTree by Hilton, we will be improving our property to address some of the issues you mentioned. For example, all of our rooms with 2 double beds will be replaced with queen beds. Additionally, next time you stay with us, or any other hotel and you feel that the bed isn't firm enough, please let us know. We have bedboards available which make the bed more firm, which increases the comfort of our guests such as yourself that prefer that more firm feel in their mattress.

Additionally, had we been aware that there were sound issues, we would'v been happy to ask those guests to bring their conversations inside. Please make us aware in the future so we can work to correct these issues for you. We are taking your comments into consideration while we upgrade our property, so that we can meet and exceed your expectations.

Again, my sincerest apologies for the issues with your stay. I sincerely hope that once we become a DoubleTree by Hilton, you'll give us another opportunity to impress you with the service and experience that you deserve.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I always stay in Hunt Valley when visiting the area but the website for this property looked nice, the lobby is not the one in the picture. The hotel smells like cleaning products and my room a combination of urine and cleaning products. The carpet is old and smells throughout hotel. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Where to begin. I guess I will go in chronological order with this hotel.

Day 1. Check in - The hotel is undergoing some "renovations" and so you walk into the foyer and there is a temporary table acting as a check in desk. There is no Hilton Honors desk or anything.

Day 1. Initial room state - The bathroom is dirty. Not filthy, but there is hair in the toilet and the sink counter has residue (which I hope was toothpaste) on it.

Day 1. Bar for dinner - Food is overpriced, the service is non existent at best, whilst sat down at the bar it took over 20 mins to be served a beer. Throughout the night, the bar is left unattended several times for long periods and costumers just have to wait. The food is overpriced. The noise is deafening, and i am not talking about the music, all the bar and wait staff must be deaf, as it is the only way to explain why they keep shouting at each other. Food is surprisingly not bad. Oh, just as a side note, there is no cell phone signal in the bar.

Day 2. - return to my room in the evening and discover that, and this is a first for me, from ANY hotel I have stayed at, that during the roomservice, the shampoo and conditioner that was used in the morning was not replaced. Someone moved into the room next door, and he likes to talk to people on the phone, not his problem, but the walls are soo thin that I can hear every word he say. I decided to eat out that night after my experiences of day 1.

Day 3. - The shampoo and conditioner did get replaced this time!!! Got back from to the hotel late and so reluctantly agreed to try the bar again. My bad. Once again, had to go find staff any time I wanted a beer or some food or to pay the bill. I complained about it and was told that the bar staff went to go check on food. I asked if both the bar tender and the bar waited both went at the same time to check on food, and was told that they did not know where the bar tender had gone. She re-appeared 10 minutes later.

I still have 2 days to go here, but I made a discovery tonight that will put things in perspective. This is not a Hilton hotel. It is in the process of being downgraded to a Doubletree. I am not surprised as the standards at this hotel really put a stain on the Hilton brand. Bottom line, I would have been better off at the Ramada over the road (and that is saying a lot).

Room Tip: To get the best room, instead of turning in where the sign says Hilton, turn the other direction and...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nomolos
Reviewed August 5, 2012

On July 19th at 4:30pm we checked in with the rudest, most unprofessional Hilton associate ever. It is unfortunate that the Hilton brand could be eroded by a poor hire. We would have thought that Hilton management would have done a better job of selecting the proper professional to make it's first impression.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Just not a typical Hilton, a little dirty and grumpy staff. The room was dirty dust bunnies and crumbs. The halls were rough, peeling wallpaper and gum wrapper stuffed in the moldings - that was how I could find my room. The staff acted like you were bothering them when I checked in, they were better on the weekdays.

Pros
- easy highway access
- free coffee on weekdays with flavors
- decent price
- plenty of parking
Cons
- not quiet - get even number rooms that are away from the interstate
- dirty rooms
- gruff staff

The hotel was just ok and I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Get an even numbered room that are away from the interstate
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Was in town for national USATF track meet. This Hilton is in need of an update. Our room was clean, the beds were small. The rate was better than other hotels in the area; now I know why. I would call this location average at best.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Martin K
HiltonPikesville, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

We wanted to let you know that we agree with you; we could use an update...which is why starting next week, we're starting a renovation! Our front desk will be the first area to be renovated, followed by all other common areas.

Our beds either have standard King beds, or Doubles. These Doubles are a little smaller than Queens, but there's still plenty of space for 2 adults to sleep comfortably on these beds.

I have every confidence that next time you stay with us, you'll feel we're not just "average at best", but instead you'll see us simply as the best!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed here for business this week and the hotel was clean. The beds in the room I had were not the normal size that I am used to for Hilton. They were small. It was fine for one person but if you were to book for more than 2 people it would not work. Overall I would stay here as it is centrally located.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank timirelan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pikesville
Hyatt Place Baltimore/Owings Mills
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore / Woodlawn
Howard Johnson Pikesville
Howard Johnson Pikesville
#2 of 4 in Pikesville

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville? Share your experiences!