“Average for Hilton”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pikesville
Bettendorf, Iowa
“Average for Hilton”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Was in town for national USATF track meet. This Hilton is in need of an update. Our room was clean, the beds were small. The rate was better than other hotels in the area; now I know why. I would call this location average at best.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Martin K
HiltonPikesville, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

We wanted to let you know that we agree with you; we could use an update...which is why starting next week, we're starting a renovation! Our front desk will be the first area to be renovated, followed by all other common areas.

Our beds either have standard King beds, or Doubles. These Doubles are a little smaller than Queens, but there's still plenty of space for 2 adults to sleep comfortably on these beds.

I have every confidence that next time you stay with us, you'll feel we're not just "average at best", but instead you'll see us simply as the best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Redlands, California
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed here for business this week and the hotel was clean. The beds in the room I had were not the normal size that I am used to for Hilton. They were small. It was fine for one person but if you were to book for more than 2 people it would not work. Overall I would stay here as it is centrally located.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank timirelan
virginia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

In the area for lax games. Friendly professional staff. Clean hotel clean comfortable safe rooms. First floor courtyard rooms have additional door leading outside to pool area. Nice restaurant/bar. Across from Target, McDonald's and gas next door. Power went out in hotel during huge east coast storm staff handled it incredibly well no complaints at all there. We did check out and go to a hotel that did have power but otherwise would have stayed and been very happy and comfortable .

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank MACVirginia
West Chester
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Generally this is a nice hotel. I tried to check-in early so I could change to play golf, but they said no rooms were ready; had to change in my car. The room is very nice except for the air-conditioning system. Room was quiet, had a nice desk, plenty of outlets, and the bathroom amenities are very upscale. The air-conditioner not only couldn't keep the room cool enough, but it turned on-and-off constantly. Every time it turned back on, it banged and rattled. I was pretty tired the next morning. I've had a few meetings in the bar/restaurant, and the service is below Denny's level. Ambience is nice, though.

This could be a very good hotel if they could only correct a few things.

Room Tip: Try for a high floor facing the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PAMan804
sailingsusan
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is a smaller, older Hilton, but still quite nice. The staff is very helpful and the hotel is conveniently located if you are going to the Preakness Stakes. About 25 minutes from Baltimore's Inner Harbor and a couple of hours from Washington DC (due to traffic), it is also very convenient to BWI airport. Bar and dining very good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sailingsusan
chesterfield, va
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We came in town for the Preakness and needed a hotel for Friday night. I was surprised that a Hilton was available so close to the race weekend as I booked this about 7 days out (with points). I read the reviews and based my decision on the positive reviews regarding location and the fact that the rooms had recently been updated. There is good and bad to the hotel. No ugly or at least nothing that I experienced was ugly so I guess that is at least something positive about the property but from a Platinum member who frequents the chain often this definitely is not a top Hilton property.

Location to Pimlico Racecourse was excellent. The front desk staff was friendly as they called us a cab and tagged our bags and hanging clothes and put them in the bell closet since we couldn't check in. When we got back from the races around 6 or so they checked us in quickly and all of our luggage was waiting. Since we are platinum members we have a profile on our account- quite simple...high floor - away from elevator. Well we got the high floor, away from elevator...not so much. 3 rooms down from the elevator which there were 2 and the hotel was busy and of course the noise was loud from the bell to the doors opening and closing.

The room was large ( a good)- but I have to say the updating was not so well done. The Hilton brand beds are so comfortable so when i saw they did upgrade that it was a positive but the dated wallpaper, poor electrical outlets, dark colors and very plain artwork was not so lovely. They also did not work on upgrading the air conditioning system as it was so very noisy and loud every time it kicked on I really wasn't s
ure if that or the elevator noise was worse. Again we didn't spend much time in the room but the view was terrible. Loved looking at the mechanicals on top of the roof in the morning. That was interesting.

The bathroom tile and vanity was nice. The toiletries were fair and it was nice that they did have a hair dryer in the room. The towels were very large and we had plenty of them so that was helpful as well. The hot water was an issue showering in the morning as the pressure was not very strong and it went from hot, to warm to cool back to warm but never back to hot.

The tv and channel selections was great. Lots to choose from so you could always seem to find something late night or first thing in the morning since that was the only time we really used it. I did order breakfast from room service. They were quick to take my order and got it right just not so quick to deliver it. 30 minutes took over 50 but the omelet was still warm and decent. We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't say how the restaurant or bar were. But if they do the room service I would imagine that the food would be good b/c breakfast was ok.

All in all I give this property a C. thankfully for us we didn't have to pay for it since we used points. The staff was great as was the location but other than that I would say they really need to step up the decor and the amenities to be a true Hilton

Good luck!

Room Tip: First floor looked dingy- busy and closse to meeting rooms/ball rooms. I wouldn't recommend the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days because it was convenient for visiting family. We had stayed here several years before, and we were delighted to find that the facility had been extensively and tastefully renovated. The cost was very reasonable. The desk staff was extremely efficient, and everything was handled correctly. The only strange thing was the lack of greeting when going by the front desk. It almost seemed as if the staff was trying to avoid eye contact. Nevertheless, we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pikesville
Hyatt Place Baltimore/Owings Mills
Howard Johnson Pikesville
Howard Johnson Pikesville
#2 of 4 in Pikesville
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore / Woodlawn

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville? Share your experiences!