“Close to the Preakness, Friendly Staff”

DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pikesville
sailingsusan
“Close to the Preakness, Friendly Staff”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is a smaller, older Hilton, but still quite nice. The staff is very helpful and the hotel is conveniently located if you are going to the Preakness Stakes. About 25 minutes from Baltimore's Inner Harbor and a couple of hours from Washington DC (due to traffic), it is also very convenient to BWI airport. Bar and dining very good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sailingsusan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We came in town for the Preakness and needed a hotel for Friday night. I was surprised that a Hilton was available so close to the race weekend as I booked this about 7 days out (with points). I read the reviews and based my decision on the positive reviews regarding location and the fact that the rooms had recently been updated. There is good and bad to the hotel. No ugly or at least nothing that I experienced was ugly so I guess that is at least something positive about the property but from a Platinum member who frequents the chain often this definitely is not a top Hilton property.

Location to Pimlico Racecourse was excellent. The front desk staff was friendly as they called us a cab and tagged our bags and hanging clothes and put them in the bell closet since we couldn't check in. When we got back from the races around 6 or so they checked us in quickly and all of our luggage was waiting. Since we are platinum members we have a profile on our account- quite simple...high floor - away from elevator. Well we got the high floor, away from elevator...not so much. 3 rooms down from the elevator which there were 2 and the hotel was busy and of course the noise was loud from the bell to the doors opening and closing.

The room was large ( a good)- but I have to say the updating was not so well done. The Hilton brand beds are so comfortable so when i saw they did upgrade that it was a positive but the dated wallpaper, poor electrical outlets, dark colors and very plain artwork was not so lovely. They also did not work on upgrading the air conditioning system as it was so very noisy and loud every time it kicked on I really wasn't s
ure if that or the elevator noise was worse. Again we didn't spend much time in the room but the view was terrible. Loved looking at the mechanicals on top of the roof in the morning. That was interesting.

The bathroom tile and vanity was nice. The toiletries were fair and it was nice that they did have a hair dryer in the room. The towels were very large and we had plenty of them so that was helpful as well. The hot water was an issue showering in the morning as the pressure was not very strong and it went from hot, to warm to cool back to warm but never back to hot.

The tv and channel selections was great. Lots to choose from so you could always seem to find something late night or first thing in the morning since that was the only time we really used it. I did order breakfast from room service. They were quick to take my order and got it right just not so quick to deliver it. 30 minutes took over 50 but the omelet was still warm and decent. We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't say how the restaurant or bar were. But if they do the room service I would imagine that the food would be good b/c breakfast was ok.

All in all I give this property a C. thankfully for us we didn't have to pay for it since we used points. The staff was great as was the location but other than that I would say they really need to step up the decor and the amenities to be a true Hilton

Good luck!

Room Tip: First floor looked dingy- busy and closse to meeting rooms/ball rooms. I wouldn't recommend the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days because it was convenient for visiting family. We had stayed here several years before, and we were delighted to find that the facility had been extensively and tastefully renovated. The cost was very reasonable. The desk staff was extremely efficient, and everything was handled correctly. The only strange thing was the lack of greeting when going by the front desk. It almost seemed as if the staff was trying to avoid eye contact. Nevertheless, we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Maine
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel 2-1/2 weeks on a business trip. Desk staff was good, but service in the restaurant was at best average for the price, and food service at the bar was terrible, regardless of who was on staff per night. Ended up going across or down the street to outside restaurants most nights for dinner. Hotel is close to highway, this is both good & bad. Good for access to the interstate, Baltimore, etc., but horrible highway noise day & night if you're on the front side of the hotel. Pikesville & local towns have *no* amenities, so overall I would probably not stay in this hotel or area again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Newton
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel as I changed locations for future seminars my company hosts to this one. I had not seen it yet and decided to stay here while in the area. The hotel itself is newer feeling but there are signs of its actual age here and there but not an issue. Room was very clean and modernized. TV had many more channels then most. Bathrooms were well designed and typical for a decent hotel. Only complaint was a bit of sagging in the bed but not too much to make a big deal of.

Staff was very friendly and professional. Seems like they enjoy working there too.

It has a bar and nice restaurant though I didn't visit either my colleague did and thought they were very good.

I will look to stay here again for sure. Note - I am a Marriott Gold member but for this area this hotel is where I will stay. Will update after my events this year for those interested.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I traveled to the east coast for business and picked this hotel for it's location. It is convenient to many locations in the area and located just off of I-695. Good parking. Friendly staff and access to an actual gym connected to the hotel, not just a small training room. Large TVs as well in the rooms.

All of the staff say hello - perhaps because the manager is out in the foyer in the morning - 6:30 AM! saying hello to guests.

The internet is a tad slow but the manager said that ing this is being addressed.

There is a resturant as part of the hotel. A little pricey but the food is good and the service is excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SDrown
Indiana
Reviewed February 27, 2012

The Hilton Pikesville is my hotel of choice in the Baltimore area. The staff is so nice and they have a great restaurant. The location off the beltway can't be beat. The rooms are spacious, the toiletries and nice quality, and the towels are fluffy! Plus, the beds are some of the most comfortable. I don't usually sleep well in hotels, but I do at the Hilton Pikesville!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pikesville
Ramada Pikesville/Baltimore North
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore / Woodlawn
Howard Johnson Pikesville
Howard Johnson Pikesville
#2 of 4 in Pikesville

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville? Share your experiences!