“Better diner choices than this”

Pikes Cinema Bar and Grille
Ranked #36 of 68 Restaurants in Pikesville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Better diner choices than this”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Pikes Diner is a bit unusual. There's an Elvis theme going on; it must have been a very hip place at one time (maybe 20-25 years ago?). Have only been once; there is nothing compelling enough to go back. Service was very slow, although the waiter was friendly, and the food is surprisingly expensive. Still, seems to be a favorite among locals. But once was enough for us.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank TXRoadWarrior

Baltimore, Maryland
“2 for 1 specials Tuesday nights!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Tuesday night finds this local "diner" offering 2 for 1 specials. There is a wide choice of regular menu items from large salads, to chicken to ribs and more. The shrimp salad platter served with a cup of Maryland Crab Soup and 2 sides is a great deal for $17.49. Remember this is 2 for 1!!!
Funky decor and quick service.

• Visited May 2012
Pikesville, Maryland
“This place is a rip off!!! Oh and they blocked me on FB LOL!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I am just purchased a house around the corner from this spot. Although I have always lived on the northwest side I've always purchased my crabs from the east. A family member told me of this place and I visited 4 different times. I was pretty pleased with the crabs up until about a week ago. I called my crabs in (which I never did before) and when I picked them up and got home they were a HUGE disappointment!! I paid $55 for them and becaue I have pruchased crabs from them several times before I knwe these were the $39 crabs. Not only that, I was so tired that I just wanted to eat my crabs and take a nap. However, as I got to cracking them open they were empty, quite a few were black on the inside and I was just ohh so disappointed. I returned them but was told that all they could give me was the mediums but would give me 1 1/2 dozen of them. I got home and they were almost just as bad, empty and black on the inside. I've called for the manager several times. I have gotten so many crappy stories about when to call back. I've got off early to get in there at the time they claim he's there, only to get a waitress ask me what was it about so she could tell him. She returned from the back to tell me he wasn't there and she would take my name and number and he would get back with me. He has no plans on calling back because I'm just one customer. I work in customer service and know what a caring restaurant manager does. This isn't it! You ripped me off and I plan on letting everyone that cares to know, know! ALL of my family know me as the crab girl because I eat them once to twice a week.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Laporter
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great diner food...if you're willing to pay for it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Pikes does a great job with all of their diner fare. Great rubens, huge breakfasts, amazing shrimp salad. The only downside will be the cost of your meal. It's not insanely expensive, but you will pay more than you would expect for a diner.

2 Thank Dajecot
Maryland
“A diner with all you can eat crabs?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

We were in the mood for crabs. In Maryland, everyone has their favorite crab house. But we were coming from work and home, and 2 out of the 7 of us don't eat crabs. So we decided to head to the Pikes diner, since their sign boasted about their steamed crabs.

We went on a Friday night and they seemed to be doing a good buisness. Most of the tables were filled, about half of the diners eating crabs, the others eating , well, diner food. Salisbury steak, hot dogs, fried chicken, club sandwhiches and salads..

The all you can eat crabs were $29.99 and included crab soup and corn on the cobb. The crab soup was excellent. Spicy, full of veggies and crab meat with a good flavor. In fact, it was surprisingly good - you expect diners to have good soup but not many can pull off crab soup. Pikes diner is worth the trip for the crab soup alone. The waiter brough us about 2 dozen steaming hot crabs. So hot they burned the fingers. The spice blend on top was not as flavorable as some, but was good. The crabs, while tasty were very light. Some were only about half full. I know, its all you can eat, so no biggie......except eating crabs is labor intense, and its nice to be rewarded with heavy sweet crab meat. The corn on the cobb was plain. Sweet, but I'm used to grilling it with Old Bay and butter, so maybe I'm being a tad picky.

We were just about finished the first batch and our waiter appeared promptly with another tray of steaming hot crabs. We knew we wouldnt finish them, so we just selected 1/2 dozen more and thanked him. The table behind us was glad, as they were ready for a refill.

The other diners at our table had hot dogs (Nathan's Franks prepared about 12 different ways, soup and salad, and the salisbury steak.

This isn't a place you'll rave about to your friends. While the crabs were good, there are better places. And whereas diners are a bargin, the Pikes is not afraid to charge standard restaurant pricing.

So if you're in the area, it's worth stopping in. But I wouldn't go out of my way to come here. Tidbit - they are owned by Jilly's right across the street. Different menu's, but I like Jilly's better

• Visited July 2011