“A Regular Cutomer but not sure now”

Suburban House Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 68 Restaurants in Pikesville
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Usually go here for breakfast and lunch on weekends with my girlfriend who absolutely loves this place. Was very excited when they began staying open for dinner. However, this evening we decided to go for dinner since we had errands to run in Pikesville. I ordered a cloak and dagger sandwich and was very disappointed. The rye bread was not fresh and broke apart as soon as I tried to pick it up. The corn beef was very fatty and placed on the bread in such a manner that it looked as if the end of the corn beef was used and smashed so tightly that it did not lay on the bread in a uniform way. I probably will never order it again.

3  Thank Charles W
There are newer reviews for Suburban House Restaurant

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Grew up in area, used to enjoy this place 50 years ago...recently came into town, had supper...left check, amount of bill and generous tip in a stack on the table, then stood in line for coddies take-out...left restaurant and was chased while leaving parking lot, accused of walking out on check...threatened by staff...ordered to return to restaurant, which we did not do as I am handicapped in walking...We explained where we left the check and money for bill as one often does in good restaurants...we advised manager to check their security cameras for evidence of who had taken the cash...we were again insulted and threatened by staff...I am a 65 year old professional and have NEVER been treated this rudely and badly in a restaurant or anywhere else, for that matter, in my entire life....I will never go back...This experience makes me glad I no longer live in this area...Do not waste your money here...the place obviously has problems with both staff and management...a sad and ugly commentary on Baltimore today...

5  Thank Judithfirefly
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We wanted to bring our Mom something special for lunch that she would not get at the nursing home. We went toSuburban House. I explained that my husband and I would be sharing a sandwich because they are so big, but we only wanted to get Mom 1/2 a sandwich. The cashier was very helpful and suggested we get soup with half a sandwich. We did. The sandwiches are enormous and the soup was wonderful. She packed it very carefully so the soup would not spill and even threw in 3 black bottom cookies for Mom. She took her time with us so we could choose the best thing for Mom. I definitely would do this again. You really get a lot of food for the price.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

we were visiting this area and stopped in for a late breakfast. Very popular place judging from the capacity crowd. They advertise large omelettes and they are not kidding! I had the western omelette which was rather dry.it needed more cheese or something. I had to add ketchup in order to eat it but did not finish it. My husband was very happy with his eggs, sausage and english muffin. One of our friends had french toast that looked like nothing we had ever seen. I noticed she hardly ate it. I wish now I had gotten pancakes I would like to try their lunch foods. I hear their reubens are good. They do serve Kosher foods for the large Jewish members of that community. You can have turkey sausage for instance.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I went to the 1st Suburban House (a few miles away) but stopped going when it became dirty and the food became inferior. It had since burned down and they relocated. I was interested to see how the "new" Suburban House would be.
When it opened, it was of course clean, the food excellent, the portions huge and the wait staff accomodating.
Unfortunately, it has slipped back into the old ways. The interior is not kept up well, there are crumbs on the carpet that go uncleaned, the booths are sticky, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper shakers stained and greasy. The wait staff has declined to such a level that you have to get up from your seat to find someone to bring your check. I'd say there are 2 good waitresses among the entire staff...pretty sad. The bus boys are more concientious than the wait staff.
The food is hit or miss. Sometimes portions are huge, sometimes more than skimpy. Some food is undercooked, sometimes it's burned, every so often they get it right.
They changed the chicken soup and matzo ball (a favorite) and eliminated the chicken and carrots.
It is still crowded, with families bringing their elderly parents for a "family meal".
I don' want to deal with the luck of the draw anymore, I'll go someplace consistantly good.

4  Thank 60811Traveler626