“Best Thai in Maryland”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We've been eating at Bangkok Oriental for many years. Hidden in a strip mall that has seen better times, this restuurant is well-maintained in terms of its comfort and appearance inside. However, it is the food that will get you hooked. I think their Chili Basil Chicken is outstanding. Earthy aromas, gorgeous to look at and just enough spice, this dish will scream authentic to those who love Thai. We've tried to con owner out of the recipe but he just won't give it up! We also love their Panang curry - really excellent. I'm especially grateful that it isn't the gloppy overly thick curries I've tried in other local Thai restuarants. Superb. You can, of course, try it with your preferred protein choice or just on vegetables. Don't overlook the soups, appetizers, and desserts. Can't tell you how much I like the Tom Yum in the winter (or anytime)! Candy apps are nice. And the mango and sticky rice is perfect in season. Don't forget to try their Mai Tai (it is one of the best I've had). Did I mention that you can have a really high quality meal that includes drinks, appetizers, main course, and dessert for less than anywhere in my town of Annapolis. Yep, definitely worth a trip to Pasadena.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

This lovely restaurant is hidden in a strip mall, but it is worth looking for! Perfectly spiced Thai food (love the curried chicken; you can choose how hot you want it), great service, and a serene atmosphere. When in season, the mango sticky rice is a must.

Reviewed December 31, 2008

We have been regulars at the Bangkok Oriental since they first opened nearly 20 years ago. The restaurant is run by two brothers and the food is always fresh and flawlessly prepared. The Pad Thai, spring rolls, Tom Yum, shrimp toast and basil scallops are our favorites. When mangoes are in season, try the mango sticky rice for dessert--amazing! The ambiance is lovely--don't let the strip mall location detour you from this gem. Great for lunch and dinner.

Reviewed March 25, 2008

If you have driven down Route 2 (Ritchie Hwy) between Baltimore and Annapolis, then you have probably passed this Thai gem without even knowing. My wife and I love Thai food, but it seems that so many restaurants have difficulty maintaining consistent quality or menus. In the 3 years we have visited Bangkok Oriental, the quality has remained the same - Excellent.

The Bangkok oriental is situated in a strip mall set back from Route 2 (behind a Bob Evans). It is generally not too busy, though we tend to visit early (5-6pm) - we have always been seated immediately.

Although the specials change, the menu has stayed the same, which is great because we love several of the selections, especially the Chicken with Snow Peas and Cashews. The vegetable fried rice and satay are also wonderful.

Plan on spending about $50-60 for two people (2 appetizers, entrees, drinks, and dessert) . . . AND plan on looking forward to Thai for lunch the next day as the portions are generous!

Finally, if the dining room does get busy, Take-Out is also available and equally delicious.