“Food Same as Old Mike's, Even Better View, Nice Tiki Bar”

Mike's Crab House North
Ranked #20 of 114 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Mike's Crab House in Riva, MD (http://www.mikescrabhouse.com/ ) has just opened a new restaurant in Pasadena (previously Windows on the Bay). They remodeled totally and have opened with many locals trying them out the past few weeks although I don't think they have yet to have the grand opening.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We've dined at Mike's on the South River man times - dependable Maryland-style seafood, nothing ever bad, nothing ever knock your socks off but always right on the water. The new Mike's North on Rock Creek is pretty much the same food but a much nicer place with phenomenal view and outdoor bar.

It was hot and thunder storms were moving in, so we ate inside. We arrived at 6pm on Labor Day weekend Saturday night - and were seated immediately, a big difference from going to Mike's south. I don't think everyone has found this restaurant yet.

My wife had parmesan oysters and cream of crab soup. My friend had the crab cake platter. His wife and I split a dozen steamed crabs - they had run out of large so we had mediums at $40 a dozen. They were pretty much mediums, with the occasional mini-medium and pretty much nicely done the same as the old Mike's. The new Mike's even has the same salad bar, though it is missing the iceberg lettuce and had fancy spring mix and spinach, instead. Pretty much we all agreed - good food, reasonable prices, much nicer restaurant.

The wait staff was still learning the menu and how to set a table up for steamed crabs but they seemed to be training a lot of staff - there was no problem finding a waiter or waitress if you needed something - like water glasses for our pitcher of water, or plates for the crab dip...

After dinner we went out and had some drinks at the covered Tiki bar. Lightning was flashing and it started the pour but the bar had plexiglass curtains they rolled down on the windy side, the lounge lizard Jimmy Buffet wannabe kept playing and we had a great light show as we watched the thunderstorms move across Rock Creek and then out into the Bay. We had a round of Pina Colada's that weren't that good - I would stick to beer and mixed drinks and stay away from the froo-froo stuff in the future.

We'd all go there again for a dependable meal and nice spot to have some drinks.

1  Thank jpescatore

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We sailed over from our marina to Mike's crabhouse, and easily found an open slip at the T dock to dock at. There was about a 20 minute wait to sit inside and an hour and a half wait to sit outside on the deck. We decided to sit inside. The three of us got the salad bar which was very good with a nice selection. I thought the crab soup was one of the best I've had it wasn't too thick like some others I've tasted. And it came with a side of Sherry and Old Bay. We all ordered fish and thought the dishes were great. As other people have noted the decor is a little plain because most of the walls are taken up by windows, but that allows for a nice view out to the deck and the water.

We would definitely go back again.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My fiance and I stopped by mikes for some drinks and app's. We sat outside around the bar. We really enjoyed ourselves. The scenery is perfect. Live entertainment was nice. The drinks were pretty good, we got 3 app's. Chi chili wings, they were very good, the bacon wrapped scallops and seafood skins. They were all very good. I look forward to going back to enjoy some crabs out on the deck.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

After years of going to Mike's on Riva Road, didn't know what to expect. The Tiki Bar, food and atmosphere were great. The staff is great, they take good care of you. Look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We travelled here by boat, twice in the last month, docking at the t-head or in a slip as needed. The wait staff is friendly and as accommodating as can be. Our group sat outside on both occasions. Note: If you are sensitive to the sun, ensure that you'll be under the umbrellas entirely on those sunny days, as you are not allowed to pivot the umbrellas (silly, I know, but they have signs and we were scolded for it).

Food was delicious, from sweet crabs, to crab balls, raw oysters, shrimp and much more. The menu is large, alowig plenty of palates to indulge.

Note for boaters: if you have a wide beam on your vessel, the T-head maybe the only place for you to dock. We pulled in a couple of 40-42' speedboats into the slips, but those larger than, say, 12' beam, might have issues. Docks are not floating, fyi.

We'll go back again (we're headed back next week with a group of coworkers!).. and we're looking forward to it.