“Take-Out Sushi”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I had sushi take-out and to be fair it was ...fair. Nothing especially great about it and the presentation was a little lacking. It was certainly substantial for the $12 I spent, but the volume did not make up for the blandish taste. I did notice the restaurant interior was very nice, but the service was not at all friendly on a night where they were not remotely busy.

Reviewed December 31, 2010

We've enjoyed the sushi here many times and have always found it to be high quality. We love the atmosphere and the spaciousness of the dining room. Service is fine- professional, prompt, all business. Easy to recommend.

Reviewed March 5, 2010

I travel a great deal for work and have many of my weekday meals in NY and LA restaurants, yet we love dinner at Olive & Sesame on Friday nights. We usually get there a bit early (6:00) and never have problems getting seated. Though it does pack-in buy 7:00.

We like O&S because it has some of the nicest atmosphere in the area. Good energy... but thankfully they don't crowd-in the tables; and the decor absorbs the loud din that is so common in most new restaurants. Within a mile we are lucky enough to have two great Chinese restaurants (food wise), but unfortunately the other one packs everyone in like sardines, is very loud, and is just not a pleasant dining experience.

The folks working as host and hostess at O&S are generally all business, some might even say abrupt. But most if not all of the table staff are very friendly, outgoing, and efficient.

Your food arrives promptly, but you won't be rushed if you are going with several courses.

Overall, the food is very good. The sushi is great and reasonably priced. The traditional Chinese dishes tend to be less greasy than most other restaurants, and maybe a bit lighter. Portion sizes are good. We will often split a single entree after an appetizer or some sushi for each.

Try the "healthy" meals in the back of the menu. You may find these just a bit lacking if you really like heavy traditional Americanized Chinese dishes. I think they are great.

Wine selection is good, and my "Absolute and tonic" is always mixed just right.

Prices are very reasonable... but then, aren't most Chinese Restaurants.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

Great food. Great atmosphere. Great service. I have never been disappointed by the food here. I have found everything I order to be delicious, sophisticated and reasonably light. The wait, however, is another matter. But that only tells you the kind of draw the place has: great food + good price = lots of customers. This is my favorite restaurant, I will probably be for some time to come

Reviewed February 14, 2010

The food is always very adequate. However, tonight I was unhappy with the type and quality of my dinner and the manager did not offer a replacement or an apology. I paid and left, but will not return.

1  Thank summeriwnd03

Been to Olive and Sesame? Share your experiences!