“Great time at the Sandaway!”

Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach
Ranked #1 of 5 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I visited the Sandaway in june for a 2 night getaway. Would highly recommend this B@B for anyone looking for relaxation. As soon as you step on the property you feel like you are away from the stress and fast pace of the world. The innkeepers and staff do everything to make you feel at home and welcome without being intrusive. The innkeepers definitely have high standards as the accommodations immaculate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandaway, Manager at Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

I am glad to learn you had a great time staying at Sandaway! Thank you for your recommendation. It is nice you and your husband could enjoy the relaxation and privacy that Sandaway offers. I hope to see you back at Sandaway. Next time you may like to try an in-room massage for even more relaxation.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We reserved the Tuckaway cottage for a quiet weekend away from home in mid-December. And that is was we got. The folks at the Sandaway couldn't be nicer. I love that they deliver a breakfast basket with yogurt, danish, fruit, juice and coffee to your door at the time you choose. So you can linger in your PJs while eating breakfast.

They are also great in suggesting places to eat in Oxford and will help to make your trip just perfect. A great place for a couple to get much needed relaxation.

Room Tip: each unit is unique. check the website for details.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for letting others know about your stay in Sandaway's Tuckaway Cottage Suite. I am glad you had a great time and got some much needed relaxation! Yes, many of our guests do enjoy the breakfast basket delivery. We hope to see you all again this December.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I wished I was offered a deluxe waterfront room but I was given a room or let's say an apartment above a garage. The bed filled the entire bedroom. To enjoy the waterfront you had to pack what you wanted and descend 19 steps and carry it around the building to the backyard. The breakfast was delivered at the bottom of the steps and needed to be carried 2 handed up the steep stairs although it was aboundant.

1  Thank booksVa

Sorry your stay was not what you expected. You booked a town view carriage room, and it has a detailed description on our website. I wish you could have stayed in a deluxe waterfront room, but you must not have booked early enough. Our breakfast basket delivery information explains that your basket will be delivered without a knock. If you need assistance with your basket we can deliver the basket inside your room. Please let us know next time. I do hope you try a deluxe waterfront room.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights at Sandaway. Our guest quarters apartment was truly a fully equipped apartment with kitchen, living room and bedroom. It was extremely clean and comfortable, nice king size bed.
The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. Cool water was available in the beach house.

My only disappointment was the condition of the beach which was much smaller and rockier than pictured on the website.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of our Town View Suite at Sandaway. I am glad to learn you had all the comforts of home! Some years the beach will have more sand than others because of storms and tides. We did invest this year to help maintain the beach. Sorry the condition of the beach was not as large and sandy as you had expected. I hope a lot of sand will wash up for your next stay.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My sister and I recently had the pleasure of spending several relaxing and peaceful days at the beautiful Sandaway Lodging by the Bay. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated and the Breakfast Baskets are wonderful. The Inn Keepers son Ben was so welcoming I felt like I was visiting family. I have already booked our yearly "Sister's Weekend 2013" for 9 of us in October 2013.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words! It is so nice you will be coming back to Sandaway for a weekend with your sisters! I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We upgraded a LivingSocial 2-night voucher to a waterfront view. We got Room 110, a deluxe waterfront king with clawfoot tub and porch on the 2nd floor. We loved the expansive green lawn with white Adirondack chairs and beautiful water views from our room and screened porch. The Sandaway is very scenic and relaxing. We loved having morning coffee and our breakfast basket on the porch. There is a coffee maker in the room for one cup each of regular or decaf coffee. Then you can have a second cup from their snack room or in the breakfast basket which also had warm rolls, bottled juice, and breakfast bar type snacks. The best things about the Sandaway are the water views and the friendliness of the staff. Our room was very quaint, like from the 1950s. I felt like updating it. The mattress was way too soft, causing me to wake up at 3 a.m. and bothering my back the next morning. (I usually sleep like a log.) When we checked out and I was asked if we enjoyed our stay, I said I thought the mattress needed replacing. She said they had just been replaced but someone else had also complained about the mattresses being too soft. We enjoyed visiting the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, the Creamery for ice cream, and sampled the local restaurants. Next to the Sandaway is the Oxford-Bellevue Ferry which will take you and your car to St. Michaels. We enjoyed swimming at the Sandaway, but bring beach shoes because there are a lot of stones and small rocks until you get out a ways. We were told it's fine to swim there until August or so when there are jellyfish.

Room Tip: Choose a waterview with a porch.
1  Thank lylac

Thank you for your detailed review of Sandaway. I am glad you were able to enjoy our beach, Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, the Creamery for ice cream, and the local restaurants. I hope we can make your stay even better next time in your room. Thanks again for the feedback and we looked into it.

At Sandaway Waterfront Lodging, we pride ourselves on giving our visitors the best stay possible. One of the experiences we supply to help you enjoy your time away from home is with your mattress. Yes, the mattress in your room is less than a year old. We had a company representative for the mattress investigate your complaint. He could not find anything wrong with your mattress, and passed on the below information.

The handcrafted, American built mattress that was in your room brings together Old World style craftsmanship with the newest and most advanced technology found in the industry. Your mattress combines one of the strongest, most supportive and conforming coil units available with some of the finest, most luxurious foams and fibers found on Earth to support, cradle and caress your body.

Restonic Mattress Company, based out of Buffalo, New York, opened the doors of their first factory in 1938. Over the next 75 years they’ve won 8 Consumer Digest Best Buy Awards, 2 Women’s Choice awards and countless others recognizing their long standing tradition of researching, developing and engineering some of the world’s highest quality sleep products. Today, Restonic has 13 American factories supplying mattresses for over 30 countries worldwide.

I am sorry you did not sleep well. Please ask for a room with a firmer mattress on your next stay. The Beach View and Town View rooms do have firmer mattresses. Please let me know before check-out if there is anything we can do to make your stay better during your next visit.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is the perfect place to go if you need quietness, relaxation, and have no need for electronic devices to entertain you. It is clean, comfortable, and the staff is friendly and knowledgable of the area. Great place to walk, bike or take the ferry to St. Michael's. We will visit again.

Room Tip: If you have the funds, choose the rooms with private screen porch which have water view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

That is great you want to stay at Sandaway again! Thank you for your review. We do have free WiFi in all the rooms for electronic devices, just in case you need it. I look forward to your return to Sandaway.

Ben Gibson - Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Robert Morris Inn
Robert Morris Inn
#2 of 5 in Oxford

Been to Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach? Share your experiences!