“A True Delight on the Chesapeake”

Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach
Ranked #1 of 5 Oxford B&B and Inns
Montclair, New Jersey
“A True Delight on the Chesapeake”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am reluctant to review the Sandaway if only because I want it all to myself and don't want it to become overcrowded such that my booking for next year is difficult. Yes, I have already decided to visit again next year, it was that wonderful.

We stayed at the Sandaway after what we called our "Magical History Tour" which took us from Gettysburg to Colonial Williamsburg. We wanted to find a place along the Chesapeake that would take us half the way home to New Jersey, and after a bit of research found this Inn. We booked what turned out to be Room 104, a charming loft with a view of the Bay. The room was clean, well kept and appointed, and the view from the loveseat in front of the bay window added to its charm.

It is a short walk (I am not exaggerating - it's about 30 steps) to the main house where you find snacks, ice, water, coffee and tea, and the most important corkscrew and wineglasses. (There are also lending books, games, and a tv, although even as an avid watcher, I had no need for it during this visit.) We enjoyed a glass of wine on the great lawn and just stared, endlessly, at the view. It is breathtaking. There is a beautiful blue heron that keeps watch over the property, and the family of ducks that comes for its food every night at about 6 or so is just too cute for words.

The town of Oxford is much like a town in New England. Quaint (and that is not a bad word by any stretch) and charming, it is a moment in time, unsullied by commerciality. An inn just down the road has a restaurant that you can walk to - unfortunately, a private party kept us from the main dining room and we ate in the Tavern/Pub - and the food is fine. I mean that sincerely; it won't knock your socks off but you'll have a good meal and will feel well sated...just don't ask for worcestershire sauce ~ they don't have any.

For breakfast we had the choice of light fare brought to our room in the morning or a 15% discount at the same inn where where had dinner; we opted for the latter. I think it would be easy for some to be put out that a hot breakfast wasn't provided on site, but I wasn't. The fact is that the cost of all the goodies that are provided gratis well makes up for any sense that one isn't get enough bang for his/her buck.

A great deal of thought clearly has gone into the guests and what they would find helpful to have handy. Frankly, a free bottle of water to have by my bed at night or as much coffee as I could possibly want means more to me than eggs in the morning.

(About that coffee... any way to have milk on hand in addition to the half 'n half?)

Because I live a drive away from the Sandaway, I very much look forward to going again... and again. It is a gorgeous spot in a sweet town, and there's no way not to have a truly relaxing time there. Next time, we'll book a room with a screened in porch so that the gnats don't take such a liking to my wine. :-D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie S
Sandaway, Manager at Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review about Sandaway. We are so glad you found us and enjoyed your Chesapeake Bay getaway! We look forward to your next visit. Yes, please try a waterfront room with a screened in porch. I think you will enjoy your porch very much. Also, we can have milk for you. Just let me know.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 16, 2012

In October 2022, my boyfriend at the time took me to Sandaway and proposed. This past weekend we returned and held our wedding there! We had a small family wedding on the lawn, with the water and sunset in the background. It was the perfect setting, and everything was wonderful.
The views from Sandaway are breathtaking. The large lawn has lounge chairs and adirondack chairs placed throughout for guests to enjoy some quiet time looking out over the water. The sunsets are spectacular. The hammock chairs on the porch are also a favorite of mine. All of our guests were thrilled with the accommodations. Many of the rooms are different, but all are equally charming and comfortable. I enjoy having the breakfast basket delivered to my room in the morning with light breakfast items, juice, and hot coffee. The option for a discounted breakfast at Robert Morris Inn is also quite nice.
We have been very pleased with Sandaway Waterfront Lodging, both as guests, and as wedding hosts. We were happy, our guests were happy, and everyone had a wonderful stay. The Gibson family was a pleasure to work with, and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mfm610
Sandaway, Manager at Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
It has been a pleasure to help you all make lasting memories at Sandaway. Thank you for your thoughtful review of your wedding experience in Oxford, MD. We are happy you will be returning. We wish you all the best with your marriage! You wedding was so beautiful!

Kind Regards,
Northern VA
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I purchased a 2 night stay from Living Social (I think). It was either that or Groupon, but Wendy kept all of my paperwork so I don't remember which. The ride from Northen Virginia on Columbus Day was very easy. The town of Oxford is quite beautiful. I arrived around 6p and was met by Wendy. She showed me a map of the property and gave me the key to my cottage. It was the one that you can request be changed from a king to two twin beds, is on the bottom floor, and has a huge and beautiful tree to the left of the back door when you look out at the water. It was nice, but it had an unpleasant smell. You get use to it when you're in the room for a while, but everytime you leave and return it is quite annoying. That was my only complaint, and I did not even mention it because I did not think it would really matter.

The cottage has no television, and Wendy advised that since I was there on a special deal that I could upgrade to a room with a television for an extra $50 per night. I decided against that and took advantage of the fact that I brought my Ipod. I spent a lot of time just sitting out on the lawn while enjoying the beauty of nature. Water always has a very calming effect on me, and this place did not disappoint. I walked around Oxford, and I also took the ferry and visited St. Michael's. I went to the pool house on two occasions to watch a little television and there are snacks there (chips, water and juice boxes).

I rather enjoyed the breakfast baskets provided each morning, and took advantage of eating outside enjoying time by the water. The breakfast was just enough to get you started for the day. If you want a hot meal you will have to leave the property to get it. I would love to return here one day, but due to the smell in my cottage I will be sure not to request that one again. My husband and I got married in Mexico last year, but renting out this entire property for a weekend wedding would have been awesome had we gotten married in the States.

This was my second stay at a bed and breakfast. The staff here wasn't as personable as the staff I encountered at a bed and breakfast in WV, but maybe it's because I had a discounted room and I arrived a little later in the day. Check in is actually at 3p. Noone was mean, but the hospitality level just was not the same. We bought out the entire B&B in WV and the hospitalilty was outstanding.

The R&R was great and I came back home feeling refreshed. I would absolutely recommend Sandaway to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank solochickNOVA
Sandaway, General Manager at Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your recommendation of Sandaway to your family and friends. I am sorry I missed talking with you at Sandaway. I would have moved you to the room you felt most comfortable in. We will look into the important feedback you gave about your stay. Next time we hope we can exceed your expectations for your room experience and hospitality. We apologize you had an issue with the scent in your room. I hope you don't have any room issues next time, but if you do please come to me immediately so I can correct them during your stay. We look forward to having you back. Yes, Sandaway makes a great spot for weddings.

ellicott city
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just came back from a week-end stay at the Sandaway Inn where we had booked a KS 2nd floor room with water view. View was fabulous, but room was dull...and I was expecting more in terms of amenities, including bathrobes, slippers, real cups (instead of those horrid styrofoam cups)...room felt more like a motel than a luxury inn...and breakfast was pathetic...yes view is nice and their lawn/private beach are special, but for over $300/night, I was expecting more.

1 Thank EllicottCityPersona
Sandaway, Manager at Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Sorry to learn you were disappointed with your vistit to Sandaway. I wish you had come to me with your concerns during your stay. Last week, before your input, I had already implemented a switch over to paper hot cups in our 24 hour coffee and tea area with snacks that are complimentary. This is part of our environmentally friendly initiatives. Last winter we installed geothermal heating and cooling. Sorry your expectations were not met for your breakfast basket. We do inform guests ahead of time what that includes. We recently had praise for our breakfast basket from a well know travel writer, so if you understand what you are getting ahead of time that makes a difference. We in no way advertise a luxury breakfast. Please contact me at Sandaway. We want to invite you back to try another room. I regret you have these conclusions, which are very out of the ordinary, but please give an Innkeeper a chance to make things right. We do regret your expectations superseded what most of our guests love about Sandaway.

Kind Regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We returned to the Sandaway last weekend for a three day getaway. Another great relaxing trip in an excellently run property. On each trip we particularly enjoy the personal hospitality of the Gibsons. And sitting on the lawn watching the activity on the river and reading and talking is tops. We enjoy finding new places nearby to eat on every visit. And we never forget to get an ice cream cone down the street!

1 Thank warlm
It was nice to have you back and we look forward to your return. Thank you for your kind words about your long weekend stay at Sandaway. Yes, the Scottish Highland Creamery gets a lot of wonderful reviews about their ice cream. They take great pride in making the freshest ice cream using local ingredients, fresh milk, cream and flavorings imported from Europe.

Franklinville, New Jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location was great and our room was upstairs in the carriage house and was very nice with a wide view of the water. Our room was clean and the sleeping was very good. The room was also quite large with a couch and chair by the widow with a marble topped coffee table. the porch on the main house had some very nice hanging rope chairs that we enjoyed. We did have a little trrouble carrying our suit case (heavy) up the steep stairs. Next time I will select a room on the ground floor. My wife and I will definately return for another stay there. To bad it is not open in the winter months.

1 Thank Pasquale068
Sandaway, Manager at Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Carriage House at Sandaway. I am glad to help you with your suit case. Please let me know next time you stay that you would like assistance with your luggage. It will be nice to have you back.

Sandaway is open every month of the year, so check out our winter schedule from our website.

Guest love to walk to the fireside dining at Salter's Tavern just a half block from Sandaway.

Takoma Park, MD
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I needed just one night's stay on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, in the Easton/Cambridge area. Sandaway had a room that, while a little pricey for a quick stay, suited my needs.

When I arrived, I was able to check in quickly and easily. The manager made sure I had all the information I needed. I was staying in one of the outbuildings and didn't have occasion to go into the main house, but it looked lovely. My room, the Carriage House Loft, was very comfortable and well appointed and spotlessly clean. The lawn facing the water and the private beach were idyllic. I spent a good deal of the evening and the next morning just sitting by the river reading and watching birds.

The manager was able to provide useful recommendations for places to eat. My stay came with a free breakfast delivered to my room if I chose, but I took the option of a discount at the Robert Morris Inn, just down the street, which was excellent.

I happened on the Sandaway purely by chance, but I look forward to an excuse to come back. I would heartily recommend it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank winterbadger
I am so glad you discovered Sandaway. Thank you for your recommendation. You are invited to come back, so now you have an excuse :)
I look forward to talking with you once again.

Ben Gibson - Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Robert Morris Inn
Robert Morris Inn
#2 of 5 in Oxford

Been to Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach? Share your experiences!