“A Step Back in Time”
Review of Robert Morris Inn

Robert Morris Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The Inn, built in the 1700's, retains the feel and charm of that pre-Revolutionary period. It is located in historic Oxford, a delightful little town that was founded before 1700. The Inn has a great location, overlooking the Tred-on-Avon river. The view looking across the river is spectacular, though very few of the rooms in the Inn have such a panoramic view. The town has many historic old homes and buildings that are well preserved and that are still inhabited today. The Inn is perfectly located--just across the Strand from the ferry dock--which gives visitors to acces the Ocford-Bellvue ferry with ease. The ferry is the best way to get across the river and to visit the neighboring town of St. Michael's, which has many quaint shops and delightful restaurants. The only negative to the Robert Morris Inn is that the rooms and their furnishings need updating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IAP65
Innspiration, Owner at Robert Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

We are delighted you enjoyed the delights and charms of this historic town and our Inn. We are truly blessed with our setting and the natural beauty of the Eastern Shore. As mentioned in previous reviews, we refurbish all our bedrooms next year. We look forward to welcoming you back at some future time and thank your for your comments and business.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Located in the picture-perfect sleepy town of Oxford, the furnishings & rooms are dated, but clean & comfortable. We arrived late in the evening to find a bag of house-made goods awaiting us. Breakfast in the lounge is included with a broad selection of a la carte items. With friendly & helpful staff, we wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Jawanderlust

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Inn following your visit. We are absolutely delighted you enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the character of this truly historic gem. We will be very carefuly refurbishing our bedrooms next year and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed April 22, 2012

When I made my reservation, I was informed the Inn only had a "cozy" cabin room available. Slightly concerned, I asked for photos and a better description of the size. The Inn was not able to provide photos but assured me the room would be a "standard room with no seating area, a little on the smaller size."

Overall, the inn is in need of a good renovation and deep cleaning, but I will keep my comments to Room 14 in particular. When my wife and I arrived, the minuscule size of the room was the least of it. The window was open (no a/c), letting in not only the bay breeze but also the noise of the kitchen's HVAC unit located just outside the window on the lower roof. When we mentioned the noise to the front desk, we were assured it would cease around 10pm, once the kitchen closed. What wasn't mentioned was the fact the ventilation system would blow the fumes from the kitchen through the open window and into the room. Which would be fine, assuming the odors of fry oil and fish are your thing.

Other than the size of the room and generally awful decor (see my photos photos--wallpapered ceiling?), the other issue was the bathroom. I understand that when bathrooms are not part of the original floor plan, you have to accept some compromise. But the mini-sink and coffin-like shower were just absurd.

Even at $145/night during the off season, it's not worth it. At the end of the day, there's rustic charm and then there's decay and inattention to detail. I strongly recommend considering one of the many other options in the area until the Robert Morris Inn takes time to address some of these issues.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mikedc11
Innspiration, Owner at Robert Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Inn. I wish you had mentioned something to myself or Mark when you visted as only then could we have done something to satisfy you. We have a couple of those rooms and we try to be very honest about them too. Priced actually from $120 to include full cooked breakfast for two, they have to be the least expensive waterfront property rooms on the entire Eastern Shore and their tiny size and old fashioned decor is why. Aside from the view of the flat room your photographs do show a very old fashioned room but nevertheless where there is a clean bathroom, shower and bedroom, just old fashioned and tiny. Previously guests have been happy because the rate is so very low. It as an old and historic building at over 300 years old and whilst we all work hard to keep it clean and presentable it will always feel that. As mentioned elsewhere on this site we refurbish late 2013 and every room will be entirely refurbished, prices will of course go up then to reflect that. I do hope you will consider joining us then and if you are not happy at that time please do ask for Mark or myself and we will do everything we can to make you comfortable.
Regards
Mark and Ian

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Make sure you don't have to cancel or change your reservation. Ridiculous 7 day in advance cancellation policy and no attempt by inn to accommodate. My vacation time was cancelled by employer 4 days before reservation and I was basically told "tough luck", we're keeping your money anyway. There was no attempt to be helpful at all. I'll never know if the place is ok or not because I got nothing for my money. I would have to surmise that the inn is subpar because they would not need to subsidize their income by keeping money for no service.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CCW60

Cancellation policies are nothing unusual or new, every hotel and Inn has them and in rural areas 7 days is not unusual either. Rent a car, book a flight, virtually in every walk of life there are cancellation policies. If not business would shut down with empty capacity. Ours only applies if we are unable to re-sell your room. We were unable to re-sell yours give the two days notice we received. The flowers you booked were from a local supplier so we paid the cancellation for those ourselves! We are very public about our policy we informed you verbally when you booked and sent a seperate copy of our terms and conditions when we confirmed. On every single page of our web site where we have room information, that same policy sits on the left hand side and there is an additional seperate part of the site dedicated to terms and conditions. Our staff are very experienced, professional and caring and would never say or infer what you are suggesting, it is unfair of you to say that about them.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

My wife and I, along with our three dogs, had a great time staying in one of the rooms in the Bottle Cottage behind the Inn. A large direct water view bedroom with seating area coupled with separate bathroom and makeup/dressing areas. The atmosphere, service and food were fantastic. Location is superb providing great views and opportunties for peaceful evening strolls. Would highly recommend for overnight stays to get away from the hustle and bustle of big cities. If nothing else, you must go to the Inn to try Chef Proprietor and British Master Chef Mark Salter's exquisit cooking. A Christmas we won't forget and look forward to many other visits to the Inn.

Room Tip: Pets are only allowed in the Bottle Cottage rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JimSwigart
Innspiration, Owner at Robert Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind and generous words, it is much appreciated by us and our valued team. We look forward to welcoming you and your wonderful dogs on another occasion.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

The Robert Morris Inn was just fantastic. I was a resident of the Inn for a week, I had seen the wedbsite and it looked fantastic but when I arrived it was even more romantic. I just loved the rustic charm. It was like I had just travelled back in history. . My wife and i dined in the restaurant and in Salter's Tavern, the staff were fantastic and I was particulaly impressed with the restaurant Manager Eve. When you are at the Robert Morris Inn you must understand the History that this very special place represents. see you all soon

Room Tip: We stayed in a Admiral room but had a chance to see the cabin and the bottle cottage style rooms, th...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eastcoldale

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are absolutely delighted you enjoyed your time with us and yes, we are fortunate in having a great team at the Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Inn when you next visit the USA.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

I have had several opportunities to dine at the Robert Morris Inn - the food is Fantastic and the Service is incredible. Most recently I was able to spend a weekend at the Inn. The rooms provide plenty of space and rustic charm, you can feel the history of the Eastern Shore of MD in Every facet of the Robert Morris Inn. I would highly recommend a weekend Trip to Oxford/Stay at The Robert Morris Inn, it is a great escape- and perfect way to recharge your batteries. If nothing else EAT THERE!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Innspiration, Owner at Robert Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Wow . . . many thanks for taking the time to review our Inn and your generous comments. Staff as well as guests stay here and they join us in thanking you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn.
Ian & Mark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Oxford Inn
#3 of 4 in St. Michaels
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Sandaway Waterfront Lodging Suites and Beach
Knapp's Narrows Marina & Inn

Been to Robert Morris Inn? Share your experiences!