“Awesome”

Ranked #4 of 5 Oxford B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Awesome”
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Combsberry is a beautiful & peaceful getaway nestled right on the bay - best bed & breakfast we've ever stayed at. It is so close the DC area, yet when you're there you feel worlds away from busy life - it is so quiet and in a terrific location to town or a short ferry ride to St Michaels. The grounds are spectacular.. In the main house the rooms are large and comfortable. Best part is having breakfast in the huge kitchen that has windows that span the back of the house and overlook the water. The inn keeper & owners are terrific people, very friendly and you definitely won't be disappointed in the food that is made for breakfast - DELICIOUS. The town of Oxford is so cute & quaint. There is a fantastic park right on the water which is a great place to take kids or enjoy an ice cream from the Scottish Creamery - best ice cream in MD.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amyvoss

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a peaceful retreat for our babymoon - we're expecting our first child in September. Combsberry Inn was an idyllic getaway spot that provided a perfect romantic stay for us during a hot weekend. Ann and Abby were incredibly welcoming and made us feel at home without being intrusive at all. We stayed at the Carriage House which was beautiful, gave us additional privacy and was very comfortable/well-equipped. Breakfasts were delicious and I also got pampered by Natalie (a massage therapist) who came to the Inn to give me a prenatal massage. The grounds are beautiful and will probably be even more so in the fall (with the leaves changing color) and spring (with the blooming magnolias). We enjoyed time on the hammock with breeze coming off the water and would also have liked to canoe/kayak on the estuary if the weather had been a little cooler. Can't say enough also about the town of Oxford - charming, not crowded, with great restaurants (especially Salter's Tavern at Robert Morris Inn and Pope's Tavern at Oxford Inn; also Scottish Ice Creamery, Oxford-Bellevue Ferry, painted picket fences, and Bella Luna restaurant in Royal Oak were also highlights).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AliceandReagan
Frackville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 19, 2010

My sister chose the Combs Berry as her wedding location and reception. I only have 1 word to describe it.... Phenomenal! The grounds were well maintained and the area is enchanting. As we arrived we were met by the Inn Keeper, Abby, and a staff member, Megan. I cannot say enough about these girls!!! Our family completly occupied all rooms and they exceeded all expectations for our various needs. The breakfasts were great but the hospitality from these two far exceeded any experience at a B&B that I have ever experienced. The wedding and reception went off without a hitch and I would not only recommend it but would say if you are planning a wedding for around 70 guests you must consider it. 5 Star for everything!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank dave17931
Vermont
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Combsberry Inn last October and, overall, enjoyed the stay, especially Oxford itself--but I would not have gone back to this inn without a few changes. The inn's property is on the edge of one of the many estuaries from the Chesapeake Bay, and it is quiet and a good place to relax. On either side are cornfields, which attracted Canadian geese at that time of year. The inn itself is nicely decorated and I very much enjoyed reading about the inn's history available in a notebook in the library. However, I had the sense that the innkeeper was tired, was just going through the motions and needed a break. Looking at more recent reviews, I'm glad to see there is a new innkeeper. Our room (Waterford) was pleasant but the bathroom needed some sprucing up--there was peeling paint and dust on the window sill, the electrical outlet was broken, the towels were getting thin, etc., which led to the impression that the details were being overlooked. The inn itself is lovely, the grounds are pleasant, and it just needed a little TLC and someone with energy to make it sparkle and reach its potential. I hope the new innkeeper is able to do that, so I could recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alexandra50
Maryland
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We recently stayed at Combsberry. The house is large and beautiful, the location right on the water is very peaceful, and it's very close to Oxford with easy access to St. Michael's and Easton as well. Our room was lovely - comfortable and spacious, with a great view. However, the breakfasts were by far the worst I've ever had at a B&B. I'm not a huge breakfast eater, but I expect breakfasts at a B&B to at least be as nice as what I can make myself. But they were sub-par. The new innkeeper is very nice, but not a good cook. Come for the inn, not for the breakfast...though for the price, I do think you should be getting both.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank AAM3
Vienna, VA
Reviewed January 18, 2009

The property is lovely. The proximity to Oxford and Easton is perfect. This place definitely has a B&B feel so know that you are not "anonymous". It is a fantasticly romantic location and I would highly recommend you stay there. I MUST mention that the owner is so wonderful... Not that I want to set any expectations of her....but I left a jacket there and she was kind enough to drop it off in Cambridge where we were going to be several weekends from then. This was so kind and appreciated and goes to show the kind of management that runs Combsberry. If you want to be on the Eastern shore, this is the place to stay!!!!!

• Liked — quiet location
  • Disliked — wasn't in town
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank msalow
New York City
Reviewed June 2, 2008

It is hard to top the raves from other reviewers for the Combsbury, but our visit this past weekend merits a try. The Inn is very tastefully furnished. The furniture is traditional style, but still has a fresh, contemporary feel. The kitchen is bright and modern, the library has ample space to stretch out with papers and a laptop. The hi-speed wireless connection and available PC were both important for me. Almost all the rooms have a lovely view of the water.

The Magnolia room, where we stayed, is spectacular, from the large four poster bed to the Jacuzzi bath and sun deck. The breeze off the Bay and the blossoming magnolia near the room made the evenings comfortable and fragrant.

Every reviewer has mentioned Cathy and her gracious welcome took the visit from very special to memorable. Her breakfasts were superb, her dining and travel advice impeccable. She arranged an outstanding massage, sunset sail, visit to a gym and still had time to put our canoe in the water and bring it up from the dock. She was at once always helpful and discreet and respectful of our privacy. Her sentries, Skeeter and Annie, were an endless delight.

Did I mention that the Inn itself is among the beautiful buildings and landscapes on the Eastern Shore? I have stayed at B&Bs and small inns throughout the US and Europe. Combsbury was among my very favorites.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NewYorkerRedoux
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Oxford Inn
Robert Morris Inn
Robert Morris Inn
#2 of 5 in Oxford
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa

Been to Combsberry Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!