“Doesn't justify its rates”

Hilton Garden Inn Owings Mills
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Owings Mills
Reviewed June 3, 2007

This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've stayed in a Hilton hotel and must say that I cannot understand its business model. It charges somewhat premium rates, and certainly bill itself as a premium business hotel, but it leaves out so many services/features that are standard in comparable chains. When possible I avoid Hilton, preferring Marriott. In this particular case we were at this hotel because it was booked by my wife's company. We wish they would have saved some money and put us up down the street at the Amerisuites instead. While the room was quite nice (the beds were extremely comfortable) there was only one small chest of drawers, so inadequate room for our clothes. The failure to include breakfast in the rate seems unexcusable today when that seems standard everywhere else. Also, the distance from the hotel to the nearby subway station is beyond a casual walk, so a shuttle service should be available. The pool would have been great if it had been working properly while we were there. I did appreciate the internet access in the lobby. Also, the staff were all wonderful. In the end, I wouldn't stay here again unless someone else was paying, but we'll recommend to my wife's travel group that they consider the Amerisuites down the street instead.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank klpawl
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Owings Mills

Reviewed May 6, 2007

I hated it. The room we stayed in was dirty and full of mildew. The guest made we wait an hour when we had made reservations. I have been to a lot of hotels but this one was HORRIBLE. The had no breakfast the sheets were dirty and had ants in them. Disgusting. I would definitley not go to this hotel

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank wolf44lover
Reviewed April 3, 2007

This hotel has great staff who do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable. I have been staying there for the last 4 months on an assignment and they couldn't be nicer. Rooms are fine...beds and bedding are great.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank bethanyfitz
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Certainly would have considered this hotel above average except for the breakfast buffet. The charge is $9.95 even if all you want is a bowl of cereal. Fortunately we found two excellent bagel places a couple of miles away and had our breakfast there.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sundowners
Reviewed September 20, 2006

We were on a family trip and needed to visit members who lived in the western part of Maryland as well as the Baltimore suburbs. This seemed to be a happy compromise. It's located off the freeway near the Owings Mills shopping mall.

We got a suite to accommodate two parents, an infant and a 2 1/2 year old. When we called to request a crib prior to our stay, there was some confusion as to whether we could put crib in a suite (we were told we could not and then on a subsequent call were told we could). Anyway, the room was perfect for our needs. The sofa in the sitting room area was also a sofabed. My daughter commandered one of the double beds, and my son slept surprisingly well in the crib, which was an old-fashioned one that brought to mind mid-century movies with scenes of cribs lined up in a row in a nursery. I do want to note that the end and cocktail tables in the sitting area have glass tops; vigilant parenting is required.

The suite and bathroom was clean and comfortable with enough room so that we can eat inside the room rather than a restaurant. We used the fridge for fresh fruit and leftovers, and the microwave came in handy when heating up water for my son's formula and aforementioned leftovers.

The only meal that the hotel serves is a breakfast buffet full of the standard fare - eggs, pancakes, waffles, breakfast meats, cereal, etc. The buffet rates are charged per person at the table, with children being half-off. The hotel was kind enough not to charge us for our kids' breakfasts, which generally consisted of a banana each, Cheerios for the baby and yogurt, a bit of toast and orange juice for the 2 1/2 year old.

All in all, it was pleasant stay. The staff was friendly and courteous. The Hilton Garden Inn is fast becoming our standby for family trips - and this is from a woman used to boutique hotels like The Standard in LA.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank urban_mom
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Stayed here for one night. Seems very new. Clean, quiet, nice staff. My room had a Sleep Number bed (they are trying them out) and the manager was very interested the next day in what I thought of it. I had a king room. It had a desk and an arm chair with an armoire with a TV, plus a little bar area with a refrigerator.

The mall across the street was convenient for shopping for a few items I needed.

I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank travelgirl88
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Every so often I'll write a review, and this is the 1st time I've ever written a negative one. To start, our reservation for 2 non-smoking suite rooms and 1 handicapped room was confirmed by e-mail well in advance. We checked in about 3 pm only to find they had only one non-smoking suite room with 2 double beds available and the handicapped room didn't have the handicapped shower as confirmed. First the manager told me room types are not guarenteed, but requests, then I told her I had an e-mail that said otherwise. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the e-mail (will never make that mistake again), so I requested access to the guest computer to print it out. She would not let me. After going back and forth for a while, she finally agreed to try to get us the rooms needed. All this took almost an hour.

The non smoking suite available with 2 double beds was in great shape, but I gave another family member that room because she has 2 teen kids and I only have one. I agreed to a suite with a king and my son could sleep in a roll away, but when I got to the room, it had an odor of mildew and dampness. There was no way I could stay in that room because the smell was making me physically sick. By that time I was really upset and told the mgr. that room wasn't acceptable. She finally had me check out another non smoking handicapped room with 2 double bed, which was fine.

All this took about 90 minutes and we had a family function to attend, so I wasn't too happy. The she had the nerve to tell me, "You had the right room and it's not my fault if you gave it away". I proceeded to explain that it was the right thing to do, since a couple with 2 children couldn't be expected to have a room with 1 bed. Also, I have asthma and a smoking or damp smelling room would create problems.

I realize there are mix ups at time, but what really irked me is the attitude. AS I mentioned, this is the 1st time I've ever written anything negative.

On a positive, the breakfast was very good, especially the pancakes and made to order omlettes.

Oh, I also had to argue to get a price reduction, for why should I pay for a suite when I didn't stay in one.

• Stayed: April 2006
DoubleTree by Hilton Baltimore North - Pikesville
Residence Inn Baltimore Owings Mills
Ramada Pikesville/Baltimore North
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore / Woodlawn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Owings Mills? Share your experiences!