All reviewsbusiness tripbreakfast staffone night stayfront desk staffbusiness centerup to datestay there againfree breakfastconvenient locationpleasant staybed was comfortablegreat place to staynice roombaltimore areavery nice hotelindoor poollobby
Reviewed September 20, 2006

We were on a family trip and needed to visit members who lived in the western part of Maryland as well as the Baltimore suburbs. This seemed to be a happy compromise. It's located off the freeway near the Owings Mills shopping mall.

We got a suite to accommodate two parents, an infant and a 2 1/2 year old. When we called to request a crib prior to our stay, there was some confusion as to whether we could put crib in a suite (we were told we could not and then on a subsequent call were told we could). Anyway, the room was perfect for our needs. The sofa in the sitting room area was also a sofabed. My daughter commandered one of the double beds, and my son slept surprisingly well in the crib, which was an old-fashioned one that brought to mind mid-century movies with scenes of cribs lined up in a row in a nursery. I do want to note that the end and cocktail tables in the sitting area have glass tops; vigilant parenting is required.

The suite and bathroom was clean and comfortable with enough room so that we can eat inside the room rather than a restaurant. We used the fridge for fresh fruit and leftovers, and the microwave came in handy when heating up water for my son's formula and aforementioned leftovers.

The only meal that the hotel serves is a breakfast buffet full of the standard fare - eggs, pancakes, waffles, breakfast meats, cereal, etc. The buffet rates are charged per person at the table, with children being half-off. The hotel was kind enough not to charge us for our kids' breakfasts, which generally consisted of a banana each, Cheerios for the baby and yogurt, a bit of toast and orange juice for the 2 1/2 year old.

All in all, it was pleasant stay. The staff was friendly and courteous. The Hilton Garden Inn is fast becoming our standby for family trips - and this is from a woman used to boutique hotels like The Standard in LA.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank urban_mom
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Stayed here for one night. Seems very new. Clean, quiet, nice staff. My room had a Sleep Number bed (they are trying them out) and the manager was very interested the next day in what I thought of it. I had a king room. It had a desk and an arm chair with an armoire with a TV, plus a little bar area with a refrigerator.

The mall across the street was convenient for shopping for a few items I needed.

I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank travelgirl88
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Every so often I'll write a review, and this is the 1st time I've ever written a negative one. To start, our reservation for 2 non-smoking suite rooms and 1 handicapped room was confirmed by e-mail well in advance. We checked in about 3 pm only to find they had only one non-smoking suite room with 2 double beds available and the handicapped room didn't have the handicapped shower as confirmed. First the manager told me room types are not guarenteed, but requests, then I told her I had an e-mail that said otherwise. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the e-mail (will never make that mistake again), so I requested access to the guest computer to print it out. She would not let me. After going back and forth for a while, she finally agreed to try to get us the rooms needed. All this took almost an hour.

The non smoking suite available with 2 double beds was in great shape, but I gave another family member that room because she has 2 teen kids and I only have one. I agreed to a suite with a king and my son could sleep in a roll away, but when I got to the room, it had an odor of mildew and dampness. There was no way I could stay in that room because the smell was making me physically sick. By that time I was really upset and told the mgr. that room wasn't acceptable. She finally had me check out another non smoking handicapped room with 2 double bed, which was fine.

All this took about 90 minutes and we had a family function to attend, so I wasn't too happy. The she had the nerve to tell me, "You had the right room and it's not my fault if you gave it away". I proceeded to explain that it was the right thing to do, since a couple with 2 children couldn't be expected to have a room with 1 bed. Also, I have asthma and a smoking or damp smelling room would create problems.

I realize there are mix ups at time, but what really irked me is the attitude. AS I mentioned, this is the 1st time I've ever written anything negative.

On a positive, the breakfast was very good, especially the pancakes and made to order omlettes.

Oh, I also had to argue to get a price reduction, for why should I pay for a suite when I didn't stay in one.

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank Dian
Reviewed November 10, 2005

Beautiful hotel. Good value. We got a suite for only a few dollars more that a regular room. Rooms are clean and brand new, and comfortable. If you are in this area , stay here!

• Stayed: November 2005
2  Thank hotelguy123
Reviewed October 8, 2005

Just returned from a two nights stay at the Hilton in Owings Mills. Very nice location across the street from a good shopping center. Front desk staff not very attentive to us at all. Simply handed us keys and pointed to the elevator, seemed more concerned about talking to her co-worker about her weekend plans.

The second you walk in the lobby doors there was an EXTREME smell of gas to the point where it was difficult to breathe. We immediatly said, "I think you may have a gas leak!" to the front desk and they replied, "No it's a fireplace problem and happens occasionally" This went on for the first two days and seemed to clear up a bit the day we checked out.

Free internet access was great, room was comfortable, VERY loud air conditioning system. All and all, an okay experience.

• Stayed: October 2005