“Great service overcomes miscellaneous flaws”

CJ's Crabhouse and Grill
Ranked #6 of 134 Restaurants in Owings Mills
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Briarcliff Manor, New York
“Great service overcomes miscellaneous flaws”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were 12 extended family members for dinner on a cold night; the service could not have been more accommodating and made us feel totally at home. OK, it's dead of winter and not really crab season. Steamed crabs couldn't compete with my memory of Obrycki's on Pratt, but an excellent crab chowder made an effort. I'd go back for another try but i'm not sure this could be "if i have time for one steamed crab dinner, this is where I'd go"

• Visited January 2014

Temecula, California
“Our Favorite when visiting Maryland”
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Our daughter lives in Baltimore, her parents in Southern California. Every visit to Maryland we ask her if we can dine @ CJ's. The Crabcakes are amazing & we have been @ many crab houses on the entire east coast. We are always seated & served quickly.. The prices are fair for the excellent food you receive. Outside of restaurant isn't fancy, don't let that detour you... Walk on in!!!

Visited January 2014
Randallstown, Maryland
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Three of us went for lunch to celebrate a friend's 67th birthday and we were very disappointed! It wasn't until I had already placed my order that I realized you had to "upgrade" to get lump meat for the crabcake. The crabcakes were mushy and tasteless, the bottom of my plate was covered in grease from the fish and the food was barely lukewarm. Although I live nearby, I will drive out of my way to go somewhere for better quality food.

• Visited January 2014
eastcoast
“Bait and switch and really really nasty owner”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Reserved large crabs for carry out. They were selling barely legal, if even legal at all, as large. I complained that I drove pretty far and these are not large. They were very expensive considering they were not positively legal. I didn't measure them, but I've been eating crabs for 60 years. I know a small crab when I see it. Then, an owner came out and told me they were large, what do I know about crabs anyway, and called me an idiot, all with a smug grin on his face. He followed me to the parking lot, yelling at me that I'm an idiot and that I can to hell. REALLY! I wouldn't give that place money if my head were on fire.

• Visited September 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“This is real Maryland style eating!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I write my reviews with the international tourist in mind.So I will be stating the obvious to the locals.
Maryland because of the Chesapeake Bay has some of the finest crab,steamed shrimp and seafood in the world.
The local spice that a lot of the seafood is cooked with is Old Bay Spice or other variations on what is probably a blend of spices similar to the spices used in New Orleans and British Guyana.
Marylander s know their sea food and love to eat it in a hands on way.You get a dozen steamed spiced crabs on a news paper and and break them open with a little purpose made wooden mallet.You get messy but its worth it freshly steamed crabs have a lovely sweet flavor in the meat that Marylander s know well.Call in a roadside shack like this in Maryland and you are in for a real indigenous treat.I like a nice snack from CJ's what they call "crab balls".They are a cheaper way to eat crab.If you are not from Maryland for your first order of crab meat try a delicious crab cake.Its easy and not so messy to eat.All Marylander s have eaten crab cakes all their life!

• Visited April 2013