“Bait and switch and really really nasty owner”

CJ's Crabhouse and Grill
Ranked #5 of 135 Restaurants in Owings Mills
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Reserved large crabs for carry out. They were selling barely legal, if even legal at all, as large. I complained that I drove pretty far and these are not large. They were very expensive considering they were not positively legal. I didn't measure them, but I've been eating crabs for 60 years. I know a small crab when I see it. Then, an owner came out and told me they were large, what do I know about crabs anyway, and called me an idiot, all with a smug grin on his face. He followed me to the parking lot, yelling at me that I'm an idiot and that I can to hell. REALLY! I wouldn't give that place money if my head were on fire.

There are newer reviews for CJ's Crabhouse and Grill

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I write my reviews with the international tourist in mind.So I will be stating the obvious to the locals.
Maryland because of the Chesapeake Bay has some of the finest crab,steamed shrimp and seafood in the world.
The local spice that a lot of the seafood is cooked with is Old Bay Spice or other variations on what is probably a blend of spices similar to the spices used in New Orleans and British Guyana.
Marylander s know their sea food and love to eat it in a hands on way.You get a dozen steamed spiced crabs on a news paper and and break them open with a little purpose made wooden mallet.You get messy but its worth it freshly steamed crabs have a lovely sweet flavor in the meat that Marylander s know well.Call in a roadside shack like this in Maryland and you are in for a real indigenous treat.I like a nice snack from CJ's what they call "crab balls".They are a cheaper way to eat crab.If you are not from Maryland for your first order of crab meat try a delicious crab cake.Its easy and not so messy to eat.All Marylander s have eaten crab cakes all their life!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I ordered the deep sea scallops fried, with lemon butter sauce. I got bay scallops in a hard fried batter that needed to be peeled off (mostly) so I could taste the scallop and no sauce. I should've sent it back or asked to see the menu again and then sent it back! It was the quality of something you'd buy from the refrigerator case at the supermarket. On another note ... the steamed crabs were good (but their idea of large isn't the same as mine) and seasoned very nicely. The cheese cake was one of the best I've ever tasted. I've been in for the lobster tail dinner. Mine was over cooked but my husbands was very good. It's a small place with a bar and dining area combined. Booths only accomodate 2 comfortably and would not accomodate a large table of people. It's an ok place.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stopped here on our way back to New York. Our service person, Sharice, was very slow. We sat waiting for drinks longer than we should have. When she finally took our order, I was told they weren't serving Oysters anymore because they were out of season. :( I then ordered clams and a dozen and a half of medium sized crabs. My mom had the lobster and my niece ordered the crab legs. The food was awesome and seasoned to perfection and very messy which we enjoyed. The drinks were given with free refills. Jordan, who was another helper, took very good care of us. He had a wonderful attitude and was very attentive when it came to cleaning and replacing our bowls. The only downfall is they don't have hand wipes. Other than that, we enjoyed it. Customer service needs improving and a case of hand wipes to provide to the customers is a must.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Very disappointing experience with carry out crabs.
We paid for expensive large crabs but received much smaller, lighter crabs.
Will not be going back.
Manager did not care that we were unhappy with quality of crabs.
Really unfortunate for a place that's supposed to be a crabhouse.