“Abrasive "service," bad food”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Falls Church, Virginia
“Abrasive "service," bad food”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had to stop in to use the bathroom one night (it really was an emergency), and the staff looked at me like they wanted to kill me on the spot. The place reeks and the food is bad - don't know how much MSG they put in their food, but it really sticks to your mouth and leaves you panting for water for hours afterwards. Why did I eat there?

• Visited May 2012

Olney
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great for delivery or pick up!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The food that they deliver always arrives piping hot! I'm picky when it comes to Chinese food, and I have to say that I think that Shanghai is the best in Olney when it comes to the way they make it, wrap it and deliver it. I particularly am fond of the Crispy Beef, which they know how to wrap properly so that way it doesn't arrive mushy when it comes to my house. I also am a fan of the Shrimp with Black Bean sauce. Granted, those two dishes are spicy, but you can request for them not make it spicy to accommodate your taste.

I have been to the restaurant, and it is small and not your typical sit in Chinese restaurant with the ceramic plates and silverware. I think this is the kind of place where you'd probably be given paper goods and plastic utensils to use for dining. There are only a few tables, but every time I do go there for pick up--there is always a lot of tables to choose from for eating. When I moved to Olney, I made a point to try all the Chinese restaurants that deliver close to my home, and this one is by far my family's favorite!

I have to say that when they take orders over the phone, they are direct and to the point, which can be taken as abrasive by some. It doesn't bother me though, as I mentioned that the food is worth it and they are nice during pick up. Not to mention, they never got an order wrong :)

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank nenechu
Sandy Spring, Maryland
“There is no great Chineese food in Olney”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

There really is no great chineese food in Olney. If I really want some chineese and don't want to drive to Columbia to Hunan Manor, I get something from Shanghi. It is off Georgia Avenue so it is a little hard to find.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Juris301
Milton Keynes
“Do not bother if you enjoy good fresh food.”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

All i can say is absolutely horrendous food accompianed with lousy service. What a waste of time.The restaraunt was full but all I can say is if you have not eaten anywhere decent then you do not really no any different. The worst chinese I have ever had in an old fashioned dusty place in desperate need of being modernised and cleaned even the artificial flowers had dust on them on the table.

• Visited August 2012
olney
“Review for Shanghai in Olney, MD”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Shanghai has very poor customer etiquette. They take orders, but their English is very poor and they have high accent.

• Visited April 2012