“Little noticed but decent Italian”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Al Sospiro Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Sospiro Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 52 Restaurants in Olney
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Buehler Rd
Description: Antonio Lombardi, Chef-Owner, is from Rome. My wife and I both find his cuisine is equal to the best we found during our visit to Rome. The side order pasta and olive oil must be sampled no matter which entree you order. We have enjoyed each and every one of our many meals at this restaurant.
Wheaton, Maryland
“Little noticed but decent Italian”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

You always think when living in an area that you know all the restaurants that interest you but we were surprised to discover this little neighborhood gem in downtown Olney on a recent stormy Friday evening. Interested in conventional Italian, we wanted to sample to pastas and that is what we did. Spouse enjoyed a fettuccine in a veal sauce, mild and tasty. I had a spaghetti that was spicy, different but the pasta was fresh and the saucing original and also tasty. They have a small dining area but they at least space tables apart for decent privacy. We arrived about 6 and by the time we left, the small dining area was full. Recommend reservations on the weekend. Good place in the neighborhood to enjoy on a cold night.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank waterlogged65

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Although the entrance bar is not very inviting, and there is a deep stairway down to the dining room (I believe you can eat upstairs if you cannot make it down), I found the service to be excellent, the atmosphere cozy and pleasant, and the food to be fresh and high quality. This is not a typical Italian pasta place, and not right for children. We are regulars at this neighborhood restaurant, and have our favorite meals: muscles appetizer, lamb chops, grilled tuna, salmon, shrimp with polenta, swordfish, or pork chops and gnocchi. We have not tried the pasta except the Frutta de mar, but all of the entrees mentioned have been consistently high quality and delicious. We love this hidden gem.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Kathryn921
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Hard to Find and Not Worth the Effort”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Dinner on a Thursday night. The restaurant shares a building with a Domino's Pizza. That should have been my first warning. You walk in to an empty, cold room, with no one there. Dining area is downstairs. Still chilly. Greeting adequate. I asked to make sure we got out OpenTable points, but server didn't even have a reservation book. Two days later, still no points.

Menu looks beautiful. That's why I booked. Lentil soup was only warm, not hot. Bread was poor. My guest liked his swordfish. My fettuccini, with veal sauce, was again warm, and virtually tasteless. Server was OK, but not particularly attentive

Very few diners, for all of the above reasons. This is a neighborhood restaurant for which I had high hopes. Alas, this was the first and last visit. Don't bother

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Steve J
ashton, United States
“so so”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

service was great. food just ok. gnocchi with gorgonzola was just plain and just ok. really nothing to write home about. no milk for kids, no lemonade so no arnold palmer and bread was tasteless. meatballs had to be made six weeks ago. i could have played golf with them. dry and ugh. reasonable prices. just not my next go to place.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Lloyd S
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“Date Night”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I decided to try a different restaurant on our impromptu date night and we chose Al Sospiro Trattoria. When we arrived we were surprised to be the only diners, but a few others dribbled in. The server was very helpful and accommodating. She recommended a grilled romaine salad which was excellent. She also recommended their lamb chops, which I order and greatly enjoyed. My wife chose the salmon and and cleaned her plate. The wine which the server suggested paired very well with the lamb. The dining area was small and quiet and the muted colors were very cozy. There was an outdoor eating area, but the evening was a little cool to be outside, However, the ambiance of this area was quite inviting. We will return again.

• Visited September 2013