“Fine Quality Steak House”
Review of Grill Marx

Grill Marx
Ranked #2 of 52 Restaurants in Olney
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Grill Marx got a patron surge after a positive Washington post review shortly after it first opened a year or so ago now. My wife and I tried it then as well and have been back to it on a regular basis by ourselves and with friends. The Filet Mignon with peppercorn sauce is excellent in general. On rare occasion s it has only been good where the meat didn't seem as tender as usual but the flavor has always been there. This Grill Marx is every bit as good or better than a Ruth's Chris or Morton's or other high end steakhouse which we have sampled on many occasions. The wait staff friendly, usually prompt and knowledgeable and helpful, wines good to very good. Other fair available, lamb, chicken, fish, etc. ... great salads. Atmosphere and dress code for evenings business casual to very casual sports bar-ish but food is fine dining all the way. Has fairly large capacity accommodations with booths, tables and bar for likely 150 to 300+ patrons. Reservations useful especially on nice weekends. Kitchen is open to observe chef and staff processing meals. The din can get a bit much for easy conversation at times.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Olney is lucky to have this restaurant. It is one of three really good restaurants in town. The food and service are great. I've been there half a dozen times and all but once my food was spot on. The one time it wasn't, the server and manager immediately corrected it. The ONLY downside is that it tends to be very noisy, so if you are looking for a romantic spot, this may not be your first choice.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I live in Olney and find Grill Marx is becoming one of my go to places for drinks and/or dinner after work. And as a political scientist with leftist leanings, who wouldn't want to dine in a Marxist establishment :-) [note: this is an ironic statement; this is Olney, not nuclear free Takoma park] I must confess, I am a woman in the mid-life demographic category. And grill Marx, especially the bar, is a haven for olney's more adult population. Many of my friends come here while our 20 somethings drinking at the turtle around the corner. Often there appears to be a lot of mature, single professionals at the bar. It's not a bad place to meet and greet new people (but probably not fellow Marxist). Some of my younger friends don't like the older vibe, but I find it comfortable. The bar has several tvs, and while it's not a sports bar, I appreciate being able to watch my caps and nats in the bar.

Service has been consistently friendly yet professional. In all my visits, I have always had attentive service.

Oh. I almost forgot. The food is very good. I am not a meat eater but do enjoy fish and seafood. Grill Marx's fish and seafood are always fresh. I tend to get mine simply grilled and have never been disappointed. I highly recommend the salmon and tuna. But ask about their specials--the more local selections can be quite good. They also have a nice oyster selection. If you don't want 6/12, they make an excellent spicy oyster shooter. For a more high-cal treat the Mac and cheese side (with or without bacon) is creamy good comfort.

Consider me a Grill Marx fan!

1  Thank alliecat2842
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We where treated rudely from the moment we arrived. The crab cakes where just ok and the steak about the same. My pork tenderloin on top of grits was very tasty and by far the best thing on the table. I would have sent back the Mahi Mahi. It was dry, overcooked and for the most part tasteless. I guess it didnt help that it took just over an hour to get our food. And it wasnt that busy!! Way to expensive for sub par food and service.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife & I went to GrillMarx with another couple and came away impressed. We had cocktails at the bar before dinner and the bartender was very attentive to us. We had the ahi tuna trio appetizer which was outstanding. I had the New York Strip which was cooked to perfection along with the mashed potatoes. The other people in my party had the BBQ chicken, Ahi Tuna, and Prime Rib, and each of their plates were completely finished. I tried the BBQ chicken and it had good flavor with some heat. For desert, we shared the chocolate mousse along with the amaretto marscarpone cheesecake which had a lemon-blueberry flavor. Service was good too and I would recommend GrillMarx for a couples night out or drinks at the bar.