“Don't Judge a Book by its Cover”
Review of Grace Garden

Grace Garden
Ranked #11 of 57 Restaurants in Odenton
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Grace Garden is the type of place that my Chinese husband and I would never look at twice.
This approximately 10-table restaurant is in a small strip mall in an area that is devoid of good Asian restaurants. BUT, based on a blog that my husband read and always in search of a good Chinese eatery, we made the hour-plus trip from our home to try it, inviting our two sons also to make a long trek to eat with us, None of us regret the journeys! Ignore the absolute non-descript (although clean) decor (just what one would expect from the exterior) and concentrate on the food. Don't even look at the American menu, but ask for the traditional Chinese menu (a mixture of mild Cantonese and spicy Sichuan dishes), and you will be in for a real treat. We all agreed that the fish noodle (yes, noodles made from fish) was a real standout, followed closely but the Taiwanese chopped fish and pork dish (somewhat spicy). The Empress Chicken at $26 is well worth the cost but does need to be ordered 2 days in advance. The Ha-Ka Tofu (one of many tofu dishes listed) is delicious - fried tofu squares stuffed with pork in a flavorful brown bean sauce. I can't wait to try some of their other tofu dishes, especially the Ma-Po tofu (tofu with a shrimp paste in a crab sauce) which is one of my favorites from other restaurants. We also had stir-fried chives as a vegetable and the very spicy dish described as pork belly with rice powder. The service provided by the owner-chef's wife and is friendly and helpful.

There are newer reviews for Grace Garden

Reviewed February 20, 2012

They serve Americanized Chinese food but ask for the Eastern Menu to try real Chinese food-especially the fish noodles. Make sure you tell them MILD if you don't want to burn your mouth.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Annapolis does not have good Chinese restaurants. We have given up enjoying this cuisine unless we are traveling. The places here all suffer from the same approach: too sweet, too much fried foods, no spice, and little or no authenticity.

Thank goodness for Grace Garden - really fresh ingredients, well seasoned, and well executed. No mystery meats are used, or fillers like celery and enormous slices of onion. The Mongolian Beef was tender, delicately sauced, and served with just spring onions. The spicy house special chicken, was a hefty sized portion with nice chunks of sauteed meat and chiles.

I look forward to trying the various other items especially from the traditional Chinese menu. At last, we can enjoy this cuisine again.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

I went to Grace Garden since it was widely recommended by many readers of the HowChow blog. The atmosphere is nothing special - it's in a strip mall, but the food...oh, the food... the food more than makes up for any lack of atmosphere. They have an "American Chinese" menu, as well as a menu listing traditional Chinese dishes. My husband ordered from the American-Chinese menu and his Hot and Crispy Beef was better than the same dish that he usually loved from Hunan Manor in Columbia. I ordered from the Chinese menu and ordered Braised Pork Belly with preserved cabbage. I don't remember exactly what the Chinese name for the preserved cabbage was, but it's the first item in the Pork section of the Chinese menu. I had never had pork belly before but know that it's a rather fatty cut that's used to make bacon. This braised pork belly was incredibly tender and flavorful and the fat - far from being greasy or unpleasant - just melted in my mouth coating the meat with amazing flavor. Wow! I didn't know meat could melt in my mouth. My husband - who is not an adventurous eater - also agreed that the pork belly was delicious. This meal was the best meal I've ever had in a Chinese restaurant without a doubt. We're planning to go back this weekend again because I want to try some more of their dishes. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves good food.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

The food is always excellent and cooked to perfection. The atmosphere is cozy and the prices are great. I absolutely love this place and frequent it once a week. You must eat here if you're ever in the state.

Been to Grace Garden? Share your experiences!