“Did Take-out and we will be back.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
annapolis, md
“Did Take-out and we will be back.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Annapolis does not have good Chinese restaurants. We have given up enjoying this cuisine unless we are traveling. The places here all suffer from the same approach: too sweet, too much fried foods, no spice, and little or no authenticity.

Thank goodness for Grace Garden - really fresh ingredients, well seasoned, and well executed. No mystery meats are used, or fillers like celery and enormous slices of onion. The Mongolian Beef was tender, delicately sauced, and served with just spring onions. The spicy house special chicken, was a hefty sized portion with nice chunks of sauteed meat and chiles.

I look forward to trying the various other items especially from the traditional Chinese menu. At last, we can enjoy this cuisine again.

• Visited February 2012

Sykesville, Maryland
“Hands down best Chinese meal I've ever had...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

I went to Grace Garden since it was widely recommended by many readers of the HowChow blog. The atmosphere is nothing special - it's in a strip mall, but the food...oh, the food... the food more than makes up for any lack of atmosphere. They have an "American Chinese" menu, as well as a menu listing traditional Chinese dishes. My husband ordered from the American-Chinese menu and his Hot and Crispy Beef was better than the same dish that he usually loved from Hunan Manor in Columbia. I ordered from the Chinese menu and ordered Braised Pork Belly with preserved cabbage. I don't remember exactly what the Chinese name for the preserved cabbage was, but it's the first item in the Pork section of the Chinese menu. I had never had pork belly before but know that it's a rather fatty cut that's used to make bacon. This braised pork belly was incredibly tender and flavorful and the fat - far from being greasy or unpleasant - just melted in my mouth coating the meat with amazing flavor. Wow! I didn't know meat could melt in my mouth. My husband - who is not an adventurous eater - also agreed that the pork belly was delicious. This meal was the best meal I've ever had in a Chinese restaurant without a doubt. We're planning to go back this weekend again because I want to try some more of their dishes. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves good food.

Visited July 2011
“The Best Chinese Place in Maryland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

The food is always excellent and cooked to perfection. The atmosphere is cozy and the prices are great. I absolutely love this place and frequent it once a week. You must eat here if you're ever in the state.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Fantastic chinese like I'd never had before.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

Went here on a Monday in Nov 2010, based on Google reviews. From the outside, it doesn't look like much: a hole in a strip mall in a not-so-great area, surrounded by a bunch of other holes in strip malls. The inside decor is a step above strip mall -- only belied by the tens of rave reviews posted on the wall, along with their very positive Zagat ratings and their CityPaper Best Chinese awards -- impressive for a place ten miles outside the Beltway. The second hint that we were not going to be disappointed was the number of Chinese people who were eating there. On Monday night, by 7pm the interior was full. The menu was the third hint -- along with the old standbys, there were some things I'd never heard of. My friend, who has traveled in China, was impressed. All these hints came to fruition when the food arrived -- flavored with a balanced and delicate touch, and prepared flawlessly. The dishes are not cheap but are served family style in sufficient quantity to feed two normal people -- though I couldn't stop eating mine. The "chinese donuts" for dessert matched the best beignets I've had. I wish the interior and the alcohol menu matched the quality of the food, but that definitely won't stop me from returning.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Annapolis, Maryland
“Best authentic Chinese restaurant in Maryland, DC, VA region.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

Best authentic Chinese restaurant in Maryland, DC, VA region.

Been to Grace Garden? Share your experiences!