“The food is pretty good.”
Review of Hunan L'Rose

Hunan L'Rose
Ranked #3 of 59 Restaurants in Odenton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Correct name is Hunan L'Rose, but I've heard it called Hunan Rose. It's in Odenton Shopping Center and has been there over 20 years
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This place is not the most amazing chinese place, but I must say it's pretty good. I've been there multiple times, mainly when the crazing for a quick chinese bit comes along. Their chow fun is really good. They give you a nice little dish of sherbet when you get your check. The atmosphere is quiet but overall comfortable.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

We've eaten here over the past 20 years either takeout or inside and the food is standard Chinese fare. The atmosphere is okay. The drop down cielings that have been there since day one should go but the waitstaff is very attentive especially when it comes to water. It is hard to have an empty glass as they are quickly filled. The food is pretty good as well as we continue to come back every few months

Reviewed March 23, 2011

After dining at Hunan Rose more than 25 times over the last 7 years, I've finally come to bury it. My wife and I have always loved this place. It was the site of our first date, and we've eaten there every Valentines Day since 2005. The service is always first rate . . . attentive and fast, without being imposing. The dining room, while quite dated at this point, is pleasant, comfortable and clean. (Although I can't figure out why they insist on storing old newspapers, phone books, plastic binders and extra sodas blocking the bar, by the front door.) But the food -- oh, the food -- has finally driven us away forever. And it's been a slow and painful process.

The menu is lengthy and dynamic. But the ingredients and the chefs' execution of the dishes is now abysmal. During visits 4 or 5 years ago, I relished so many of the dishes on the menu: Moo Goo Gai Pan, Moo Shi Chicken, Triple Delight, Beef With Green Pepper. even the soft shell crab and aspragus specials. But in recent years I'ved shied away from these and other dishes one by one, to the point where there's nothing left there for me to eat.

For instance, 3 or 4 years ago, I gave up eating something as basic as the chicken fried rice there. The dish tastes like the chefs let the rice sit around in a big container absorbing soy sauce until it's ordered, and then reheat it. It's not freshly stir-fried, like you'd get at a Japanese steakhouse on the chop-chop table. There's little to no white meat chicken in it (mostly grisly leg meat, it seems), it has a mushy texture and it tastes bland. Even the Chinese carryout at the mall food court tastes better.

The "spring rolls" are egg rolls from which dirty fryer oil not only drips, but pours. Not only do the rolls fail to prepare your palate for the following entree, they ruin the taste of whatever you eat afterward. The same can largely be said of the shrimp toast. In fact, in the last year or two, when I've craved these items, I've bought them at another local Chinese restaurant, while ordering certain other entres at Hunan Rose to round out our family's Chinese food meal.

But I won't be buying from HR at all anymore. Last weekend, we had guests in town and ordered a large amount of food from Hunan Rose for carryout: 6 entrees, 2 large wonton soups and 6 spring (egg) rolls. Total Cost $103. My wife and I felt we should give the restaurant one last shot to impress us and our guests. Despite our high hopes, the food was utterly disgusting.

Upon removing the entrees from the bags when we got home (Sesame Chicken, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Eggplant with Garlic Sauce, Triple Delight and Chicken With Broccoli), we first noticed that it was nearly impossible to tell the containers of food apart . . . all of the different items, except for a few purple slices of eggplant in one of the containers, looked exactly the same!! And just as we expected, they all tasted pretty much the same -- terrible.

The egg rolls were just as I described above. My wife, who ordered the eggplant dish and has been eating at Hunan Rose for nearly 15 years, took one bite of the eggplant, made a scary face and proclaimed, "This tastes awful! And it's not even cooked!"

I had the Sesame Chicken, which was enticingly described on the menu as, "Hot! Chunks of marinated chicken sauteed with sesame in chef's hot honey sweet sauce." Pardon my French, but "sauteed" my [-].

What I received was a container of salty brown goo, most of which clearly had been deep fried. There were 7-8 pieces of "chicken" in there, I guess. But the meat was so small, dark and grisled, it could have been anything. Each piece was very heavily coated with a half-inch of breading that was either absorbing the greasy oil of the rest of the dish or was oozing its own oil into the sauce -- I couldn't tell which. Regardless, the meat certainly didn't taste marinated.

Looking around the table at the other entrees, it was clear that none of them were any better. The same brown sauce soaked them all. The chicken meat in the dishes that had not been breaded was hard and stringy and appeared to have been precooked and then reheated once the order was presented to the chef. The Triple Delight, billed as including chicken, beef and shrimp, contained just two small shrimp -- and we had to really dig to find the second one. Our guests, while polite, were similarly unimpressed.

Made quesy by the eggrolls and entrees, I "fell back" to the wonton soup, hoping to calm my stomach with some gentle broth. I do like to add to the broth a few of the homemade crispy noodles that Hunan Rose features for the soup. But in this instance I couldn't add any because they were even MORE greasy than the egg rolls. A real shame. But what really closed the deal for the day for me were the wontons in the soup. There were a lot of them and they were large. But they were so overcooked and mushy that when placed in the mouth, they dissolved like toilet paper in water. A soft paste you might be tempted to brush your teeth with.

Needless to say, there was a lot of food left over from our family dinner. Which is usually a good thing, right? I mean everybody likes to eat leftover Chinese food over the subsequent days.

But not in this case. When my wife and I finished cleaning up the meal and readying it for the fridge, we asked each other if we should save the food. I told her to go ahead and throw it ALL way . . .$75 worth of food in the trash. The food made me so sick, I didn't even want to see it again.

Based on this and several other incidents with Hunan Rose in recent years, we are -- sadly to say -- done with the restaurant. You guys may now have our customary table there on Valentines Day.

3  Thank sir_flea