“Ocean City's Finest DUMP”
Review of Fenwick Inn

Fenwick Inn
Ranked #22 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed January 21, 2008

We were looking for a hotel that accepted dogs- came across the Fenwick Inn... sounded so appealing with it's new pool and restaurant, prices were excellent for the off season- this was going to be great. Wrong! We found our room with the number written in Sharpie across the door trim and the overwhelming smell of some kind of "mask the odor" sanatizer burned my nose hairs. Proceeding to turn on the lights we both stood there and stared at each other. Instead of the term wall to wall carpet, one could use wall to wall piss stain with the added bonus of a thousand and one cigarette burns. The mold up the wall was just an added bonus. I marched right downstairs and told the man working the desk that I'd like to see another room as I was not going to be sleeping in that room. His initial response was that he only charged us for 1 dog and not 2. My response was that I wouldn't let my dog sleep in that room. We got another key and went to see what lie behind door #2.... the same exact horror. Stench, mold, peeling wallpaper and wall to wall piss stained carpet. I looked in the phone book for the Clarion on 101st and asked if they had a room right now. They were more than accommodating, even though we spent twice as much money, we felt like we could relax and vacation in a clean room.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 18, 2008

We stayed at the Fenwick Inn last weekend, and I should say they should change the name to the Dirty Inn...Its a good thing its off season and the price is cheap and well you get what you pay for...We got check in, went to find our room, this was a bit hard since most of the Room numbers are missing off the door, and of course ours was one of them, so we had to guess we had found the right room..As we went into the room it was okay nothing special, 2 double beds, a tv with the remote having duc tape on the back to hold in the batteries..But be warn!!!! if you walk across the floor with your socks or even bare feet, the bottom will be black..the floor is dirty and gross..My family and I could not belive this..they really need to either shampoo the carpets or put new carpet in..So if you go make sure you bring your slippers!!..The bathroom needs updating as well. The only thing nice was the indoor pool other than that we will never stay there again..They really need to do an entire makeover on this place..and if you stay there during summer seaon and pay full price you are crazy!!

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank tinkerbell2008
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Our stay at Fenwick this past weekend (Sat and Sunday) started out on a wrong foot and ended on a very sour note. I would never stay here again. Warning to all, check your bill and make sure you confirm your reservations because this hotel does try to overcharge you!

We arrived early Saturday evening after walking around the boardwalk all day. We were told we didn't have a reservation. This was not true because I had called ten days before.

Turns out, they had us down for Friday night. I said, No, it was for Saturday night because my husband works Friday nights. I would not have made the reservation for Friday.

They let us have the room which was fine. We had three dogs with us so we were on the smoking/pet floor. The carpets sucked but I expected that a bit but everything else was clean.

We checked out on Monday about 10 a.m. and when I got the bill I was flabbergasted. They charged us for a Friday no show - the full amount for the night. I told the clerk and her manager that there was no way I would have made the reservation for Friday because my husband works nights and we wouldn't have been using the room so why pay for it? They said that they DON'T TAKE RESERVATIONS FOR PEOPLE COMING IN ON SATURDAY? What's up with that? It's off season - I saw plenty of hotels down there listing as vacancies that we could of chosen from. Don't tell me they don't take reservations beginning Saturdays if they have the room to fill. That was a poor excuse and obviously a fabrication.

Their next tactic was to say that their reservation agent would have said that we had to pay for Friday night while I was on the phone. I know this didn't happen because I would have told them that I was going to check other places before I made the reservation because why pay that money when I didn't have to? If it came down to it, I could have got someone to watch my dogs if I couldn't find an accommodating hotel within my budget. They said they held our room - the hotel wasn't even full at all. Our floor had maybe 5 people staying on it.

They do not stand behind their customers at all. I was unable to get them to credit the charge. Now I am opening a dispute with my credit card company in hopes to recover the money because of their fraudelent practices. What happened to the customer is always right? In this case, I was totally honest and totally taken advantage of. I wasn't trying to pull anything like some people do. Yet I got hustled in the end.

I will never stay at this hotel again!

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank beckyboop74
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I understand that peak season equals peak rates, however this hotel was just too expensive considering it's level of comfort and apperance. My family and I visited mid August when the rates are at their hightest. However it's just a basic hotel, with uncomfortable beds. If you're OK with just the basics and don't mind spending a few extra bucks, then I guess this would be the place.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LaRonda
Reviewed August 28, 2007

The First room they put me and my family in was on the 7th floor. As soon as you got off the elevator you could smell this horrible stench. Our room didnt even have a number label on it, it was hand written in pen on the wall. Our room was horrible, it smelled like wet cats and pee, the wall paper was peeling off the wall and there was mold growing up. There were cigerette burns all over the carpet. The smell was so bad that I had to sleep in the car because I couldnt stand it.
The next day they told us they would put us in another room which they did. That room was better however we came back that night very late only to find out thatour key wouldnt open the door. A lady came out of her room that was beside us and told us that they had given our room to someone else and there were people in our room while our stuff was in it. I had to stand in the hallway holding my sleeping child while my boyfriend went downstairs to find out what had happened and get us a key that would work. Thankfully nothing was stolen out of our room.
The night time staff there is a joke. Daytime is a little bit better.
I wouldnt stay at this hotel again if it was the only hotel left down there, I would drive home instead!!

1  Thank AprilConnors
Reviewed August 26, 2007

The Fenwick needs to be completely renovated. And that includes the people at the front desk. No customer service! Forget about checking in early. We arrived 15 min. before check-in and were turned away, and told to come back after 4PM. And so we did, to find people waiting in lines stretched out the door. People and luggage all over the place with wet kids coming in from the pool dripping in the lobby. We waited 20 minutes to get checked in. It felt like I was at the airport! No kidding! The elevators are extremely slow and they use them to haul trash bins in and they stink at times. We paid an outrageous rate for our room; almost $300 per night, because we requested a king bed during peak season. The carpet was dirty with black moldy spots under the refrigerator that leaked. The bathroom had rusty spotting on the ceiling and around the tub. The room was outdated and old. The air conditioner did not get the room cool enough for me. And the bed spread was old and yucky with threads pulled on it as if a room full of cats had clawed on it. No plasma tv here!
I was surprised that the room did not smell. I guess they order Fabreeze by the truck loads. The bar and restaurant were nice and offer a nice view. But really folks, take my advise and spend your $$$ elsewhere! I wish I had.
PS-If you read "recently renovated", all that entailed, was them painting walls, and I believe they put new carpet in the hallways a year or two ago.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnnapolisGidget
Reviewed August 20, 2007

This was the second time we stayed at the Fenwick Inn. The first time was 5 years ago and was nothing to write home about but we read on their website about all the improvements and remodeling, we decided to give another try. Great location. That's all the good I can say. We were told by someone on the phone to come early (check in time officially 4pm.) We arrived at 3:15pm and were abruptly told that we could not check in for at least an hour. No rooms were ready. I find that hard to believe but OK...We'd wait. My wife, 2 kids and I waited in the crowded, uncomfortable lobby. We explained that someone told us that we might be checked in early, the man at the counter was very snippy and showed his lack of concern. We finally get to our room. Room 626. After a second trip to the front desk to get the room keys re-programmed so we could get in, the room smelled of mold and as we turned down the bed we noticed a huge stain all over the box spring. It appeared to be blood. It also appeared as if these stains splashed up the wall...See pictures. Needless to say...we were not staying in this room.
We then asked for another room, the hotel reluctantly obliged. We asked for the manager to come and look at the problem, we were told it would not be necessary. We then moved to our new room and heard someone from housekeeping going in the original room. We went to make sure they saw what we did. The lady from housekeeping said that there was no way that this was blood and made the bed up for the next unsuspecting customer. All this while another person from housekeeping was scrubbing the wall down. (Amazing - between 11am checkout and 4pm check in that these rooms could not be clean.)
Our new room was also dirty and there was visible mold growing in the air conditioner, the pool was extremely cloudy, and not new. We had nowhere else to go and no concern from the hotel or management. We were never offered anything for our inconvenience nor did the manager ever contact us to see if everything was taken care of. I feel completely cheated by the Fenwick Inn.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank dboyer