“Great Place to stay!”

Ranked #11 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
“Great Place to stay!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Great place to stay! Rooms are large including a large bathroom...very clean and well stocked! The staff is very friendly and helpful. Security is on staff as well and Rick was a great help to us on our first night! Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: we had an oceanfront room with a balcony...it was great!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tammi K
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay and highlighting the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. Those two areas are our major concentration as I constantly reiterate to the staff that it is those things that are going to set us apart from our competition. I am glad to see that it hasn't gone unnoticed. Thank you.

Tim Goff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My family and I stayed at Paradise Plaza last weekend, we had a ball. The hotel was awesome, great location and clean. The only problem was that the pull out sofa needed to be updated, felt like I was sleeping on the ground. My husband asked for another pad to go over it, but they never brought one up. Other than that it was great. I will def stay there again, but will be sure I get a better pull out sofa.

1 Thank Niecey123
I apologize for the condition of your sofa bed and that it was not addressed or corrected during your stay. This past season we replaced 2 dozen sofa beds and are planning on doing that again this winter as we gear up for next year’s season. Once we do that, all of our rooms with sofa beds will be updated. I am glad however, to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. I hope you plan a future visit with us sometime next year.

Chicago
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Location Isn’t Everything…

As a reasonable person, I’m unable to comprehend why anyone would give the Paradise Plaza Inn an “excellent” or “very good rating,” unless of course it was his or her very first overnight hotel experience (without the benefit of comparison), or perhaps they owned the place. Thankfully, neither option describes me (or my family).

Yes, the Paradise Plaza Inn is on the Ocean City Boardwalk. A few more steps and you are on the beach, and then in the ocean. There’s interesting people watching if you have a lower floor balcony. There’s a DQ, a beach shop, and a restaurant on the main level. I know this because I spent about $500 between the three. However, the same group of similar establishments can be found no less than two, three, and four blocks down the boardwalk (in either direction). Simply put, there are countless other hotel options with the exact same benefit: a good location.

With this said, if location was the only issue here (and it is for many), I could have slept in my car in the parking lot, been only one block from the beach, and given my car an “excellent” tripadvisor rating. This of course is assuming I could find a parking space at the Paradise Plaza Inn! The fact is location is only a part of the experience and once you get past this location, the Paradise Plaza Inn is like a rip current that takes you out into the depths of the ocean…

For us, little things matter and nothing is more important than the safety, cleanliness and maintenance of a property. We believe if you struggle to clean up the little things then you cannot trust that the bigger issues (or the many things you don’t see) are being resolved.

Let me give you an example of a little thing: cigarette butts. They were everywhere. The parking lot and the outdoor walkways (stairs entering the property) where littered with them. Part of the problem was due to the Paradise Plaza Inn’s staff, who frequently took smoke breaks; sitting on the stairs a few feet outside the main entrance. It was the first image we had during check-in and the last image at checkout. Practically every time we left or entered the property, staff members (reception, cleaning, maintenance, etc.) were smoking just outside the main entrance, sometimes together. At worst, it contributed to an already dirty environment (so much for the wonderful clean ocean air). At best, it looked highly unprofessional.

Once inside the property, the main lobby, elevators, and hallways were all passable (albeit bare bones). However, our room needed major work. Our bedding had small holes (sheets were not changed during our long weekend stay) and stains were evident throughout including flooring, bathroom ceiling and tub. Our door was difficult (at times near impossible) to open, and the sliding glass door to the balcony was in such bad repair that the locking mechanism had completely rusted and fallen off. Nothing would have prevented easy entry into our room from the balcony. The air conditioner unit was so loud throughout the night, that it woke us all up every time it kicked-in.

Since there were elevator delays at times during our stay (not a major problem), we were told we could use the stairwell. If guests are going to use the stairwell, then it should be scrubbed down and repainted. The pool in the parking lot also needed tender loving care. We found it interesting that at no time while we were at the pool did an employee walk over to make sure the area was clean and the pool rules followed. The pool area was filthy by any standard (garbage, piles of wet cigarette butts, and a disgusting toilet). The gate latch was broken and there was no supervision to keep out non-hotel guests.

When an employee did make her way to the pool, she sat down and ate an ice cream cone (my guess is another break of some kind). We later found out that she was checking on her daughter who was in the pool most of the day (unsupervised), and as one parent said to us, “Bulling kids and acting like she owned the place.” Her daughter was also frequently found behind the reception desk.

I mention all this because it sums up the Paradise Plaza Inn: a sloppy business operation that offers the minimum of employee management and general facility upkeep. These fixes are not rocket science. A little motivation, effort and pride would increase efficiency, safety, and greatly improve the appearance of the property and the total guest experience.

We join the other 20 percent of past guests on tripadvisor who rate this property “poor” or “terrible.” We expected a lot more for our $300+ a night.

7 Thank ChicagoTommyboy
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Let me apologize on behalf of the hotel and staff for the disappointing stay you had at the hotel. It is apparent there were a number of items you had issues with. First of all, I couldn’t agree with you more regarding staff that was smoking in front of the hotel, yes it is very unprofessional. I don’t however believe that they are solely responsible for all of the cigarette butts that you saw in front of the entrance. Regardless it has been brought to their attention and has been corrected. I am not going to cover each issue, such as parking, A/C, patio doors, elevators, etc. as if you read my responses from previous reviews, I have addressed them numerous times and have tried to give realistic reasons and explanations to each. Most of what you experienced is common for beach properties in the height of the season (it doesn’t make it acceptable or any less important) and one must look at things realistically when considering the amount of visitors, traffic, turnover, etc. that all hotels must deal with during the summer. The one thing you brought up but failed to mention; the 20% of past guests on Trip Advisor that rated our property “poor” or “terrible”, only 2% of those were written in the past two (2) years. The other 18% were written before 2012 and date back to 2005!

Cassville, PA
Reviewed July 10, 2014

First of all, I would like to address the staff. The girls at the front desk of 4th of July weekend were amazing and should be commended for their excellent customer service!!!!! We had been promised a certain time to check in and when the previous occupants did not check out on time it moved that back, But we were compensated the a voucher good at some of the local restaurants. The plaza was having some work done outside the lobby, but the gentleman were polite and didn't seem to be in the way. the rooms were clean, very spacious and great for a family. We had a wonderful view to watch the fireworks. We had the 2 bedroom apartment and the whirlpool tub was a pleasant bonus!!! Pool is small but it was nice to have that for the kids. Towels are provided at the pool. The hotel is so close to lots of great things on the boardwalk. If I had to find a complaint the parking lot is small but we were able to get a spot after unloading and just left the car parked for the visit. A must stay for anyone!!!

Room Tip: The two bedroom apartment is on the bayside but well worth the price if you are going with a family
2 Thank laura918
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you for acknowledging the staff as they certainly deserve it. I am constantly reiterating to them that being friendly, hospitable and accommodating pays off and these traits are what are going to set us apart from our competition. From reading our customer reviews, I must say and agree they are top notch and some of the best in Ocean City. I appreciate you overlooking the inconvenience of the minor construction that was being done in front of the hotel. It was certainly something that wasn’t planned but necessary to have done. I am glad to say that is all behind us now. I do hope that you plan on visiting us again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

After staying at our share of duds over the years I think our family has finally hit it lucky. The staff is extremely accomodating. This hotel is very clean. Pool is very nice. The restaurant that is in the hotel is also very good and the 10.00 food voucher you get is an added plus!The location of this hotel is perfect!We love it so much we already booked for next year, with a discount! If you have had bad luck with hotels and looking for a very nice hotel for you and the family, stay with Paradise Plaza, you will not be sorry!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Elizabeth V
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad that you gave us the opportunity to host your recent stay and that you found everything to your liking and were pleased with your visit. Thank you for re-booking with us next year.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We arrive,,, first impression was not so bad.
Parking is a bit tough and even trying to unload your vehicle is a challenge since there really is no place to unload. They do have an overflow lot about 50 yards away and we did feel safe in this area .The entrance/lobby area is a very small space. Elevators are slow at times. We had our kids 14,13,11 and 8,,the ocean view with a balcony was awesome! The room was a nice size room with a sink and microwave and a descent size bathroom. Room service was descent and had to call a few times for towels(you would think knowing that you have six persons in a room you would have that amount at all times).

Cleaning of the room did not get cleaned like we thought it should have( toilets were not cleaned daily) if you know what I mean. The sweeper was poorly run.
I think the "hotel" is in need of some upgrading and some TLC!

I read other reviews saying how noisy. We found the Noise level for being on the boardwalk was not an issue and the fan from the AC may have helped that some.

The bedding was very comfortable and the bed it self was not real firm.

The building is definitely in our opinion is somewhat outdated. Throw some fresh paint up and some TLC we would have given this hotel four stars.

Overall we would probably stay here again!!!

The location is great!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your review. I must admit you were very honest and fair. You are right, the hotel is not the newest, 16 years old, and we do try to address a lot of our “updating” projects in the off season. We did paint all of our guest rooms but the exterior was not addressed this past winter. There is always plenty of TLC that needs to be done and it is never ending so we do try to keep up with it the best we can and whenever we can. I am sorry that some housekeeping items were missed or inadvertently overlooked during your stay. I do hope that you give us another opportunity in the future as it does sound like you were pleased with part of your experience.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

We went to OC for a tenth anniversary and arrived here on a Sunday evening along with the last of the "high school weekers." We were given a seventh floor boardwalk front room, as requested, with champagne on ice with glasses and a rose! An excellent start! The hotel was full I believe. One group on our floor were high school boys from Hershey PA who were marvelous, friendly, talkative and courteous. Noise from the boardwalk below far exceeded noise from within the first night. The boardwalk is very busy and noisy until at least 3 am every morning. Paradise Plaza overlooks the public wash room and I think tends to be the focus of the late night crowds. Not to worry as there is also a huge presence of police on foot, bikes, and cars around the surrounding area.

Emerging from the shower the next morning, I opened the bath door and immediately caused the humidity to precipitate out on the tile floors. It becomes dangerous in this condition. I left a message for room staff to mop carefully. All wet towels were left piled in the bath that first day. The water problem worsened the next two days until they offered a new room. They gave us a suite with carpet on the eight floor with both beach front and view to the south beach. We moved ourselves, but that was a nice gesture.

Room and hall doors are dented inside and out... tough crowd. It got noisier on subsequent nights as we had some college kids staying there also. At midnight, a large group of boys started cheering from their patio to people below on the boardwalk. I went up on the elevator with three large bouncer types making a room call on our floor... not the most secure feeling. I would see more in the hotel parking lot as the week progressed. We had a large, noisy party on the patio below us Wednesday night going far into the night with many drink cups and beer cans left the next day blowing around on the deck. Finally, when returning from our last dinner, I found two police cars in the parking lot focused on beer bottles breaking on the adjacent alley being tossed I think from another building.

While waiting for the elevator on the eighth floor Thursday morning, one door opened with a car full of scaffolding and other materials. A worker was in there throwing pieces of steel out of the car while he was trying to get to the door which kept trying to close. He threw a five gallon pail in the door to prevent it from closing. Then he started throwing scaffolding into the stairway while loudly banging elevator and hall walls. I couldn't get the elevator! I walked down to the seventh floor around the scaffolding and got the elevator down. I reported this to the front desk and was assured it was not the hotel but AT&T (working on cell antennas on the exterior wall) and it wasn't their concern. This is why this property looks like the war zone it is. Someone is charged with taking pictures of damages and I guess attempting to recover money.

Just before checking out, we lost the hot water, twice, before I could shave and shower. I called the desk asking for the manager "Tim" who did not return my call.

We could not get out of there fast enough. And they too gladly helped me on the elevator and out the door. They refunded one of five nights and gave us a certificate for two nights.

OC apparently offers many attractions that appeal to the rowdy crowds and endure the related damages. Too expensive room rents are divided by 4 or more occupants at a time. I think Paradise Plaza is indicative of a number of similar hotels which cater to this crowd along with more traditional vacationers. I will choose not to return based on this tolerance.

I believe this property is overrated here and I would encourage people who have higher expectations for a property to spend the extra money and stick with the brand names who have reputations to protect. I can't recommend this property to anyone. This is only the second property I have stayed where I feel this way.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zephyr-TA
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. It is quite lengthy and would take quite a bit of space to answer each of your concern, although I do think you deserve a response. I will try to address the “hi lights”. It does sound like we got off to a good start. As you mentioned and experienced, it was senior week in Ocean City with a lot of high school graduates. There is always a week or two in June that we have a mixed clientele and have to accommodate and deal with many different needs and issues. There are many times throughout the year that we have to make a business decision and determine if certain business justifies the revenue it will generate (or loose other customers). Yes, some construction was taking place, unfortunately as will most contractors, we do not have the luxury to dictate when they can work and not work. We are at their mercy but would hope that they would have common courtesy to understand and respect our customers. I am sorry that I never received your voice mail messages, which I would have hoped you left although I never had any. I take great pride in returning calls or talking to any of our guest when they have an issue. Nonetheless, it does sound like my assistant addressed your needs as you were compensated something for your inconvenience. I just want to say; “Ocean City does offer many attractions that appeal to the rowdy crowds”. It is two weeks out of the year in June that Ocean City attracts seniors graduating from High School. It is an annual event that almost everyone is well aware of and they either embrace it (or at least understand it) or decide to choose alternate dates or go elsewhere.

With Hospitality