“Ok hotel for 1 night, but would not return.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Plaza Inn

and 1 more site!
Paradise Plaza Inn
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
“Ok hotel for 1 night, but would not return.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Chose this hotel because the first hotel we checked into did not have availability for all the nights we wanted. We needed one additional night, which was a Friday night, and many hotels would not book a stay less than two days on the weekend. Paradise Plaza allowed us to book one night for a Friday night. Our first hotel, the Grand Hotel, was beautiful, so we were a little disappointed when we checked into Paradise plaza. the hotel advertised that all rooms have balconies, but when we arrived our room seemed a bit unusual. We were in room 314, and when we got off the elevator at first it seemed as though we were the only people staying on that floor. The third floor was also the place with conference rooms the hotel laundry department where the linens are cleaned, and other miscellaneous housekeeping areas. there were no hotel employees around on the third floor however there were bags of dirty linen and trash in the hallways when we arrived. When we entered the room, we found it strange that there was no vanity in the bathroom and only a pedestal sink. There was no countertop to put shampoo hairbrushes or any toiletries on. we needed to shower because we had just checked out of our previous hotel and had been at the pool, but could not find the hairdryer. I called the front desk to ask if they provide a hair dryer and they seem surprised there wasn't one in the bathroom. I told him there would be no where to put the hairdryer because there was no countertop. They said they would send one out but that took almost 90 minutes for someone to arrive. When the front desk person arrived, he informed us that they hairdryer was in another location in the room because we were staying in the handicap access room. This is why we had no balcony. Apparently they don't feel that people with handicaps would require a balcony. Not sure why . The dresser was very low to the ground being a handicap access room and came up just above my knees. The condition of the room was fair. The refrigerator in the kitchen was not turned on when we arrived , and was warm. It did work once we turned it on but took a while to cool off. We were disappointed that we didn't have a balcony, but the room served its purpose since we were only staying there for one night. I don't feel the $280 we paid was worth it however. I feel that the hotel staff rented the room for one night because it was a handicapped room. I thought they should have notified us of that ahead of time so we could decide if we wanted that option. I would not stay here again. Oh, and the tiny pool that they advertise is in the hotel parking lot, so you can smell all of the car fumes while you were swimming.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I am sorry for your disappointment. Unfortunately, you were the guest that checked into the ONE room in the hotel without a balcony. As you mentioned, you only stayed here because there was no other availability in town and we accepted your one night reservation. True it is on the 3rd floor next to our meeting room and as later explained; since it was a Handicap/wheelchair accessible room, there was only a pedestal sink and no vanity and the hair dryer was in the bedroom next to the chest of drawers and mirror. The room has no balcony due to the fact that it is on the side of the meeting room (with no balcony) which was merely an issue at the time of construction and nothing more. You are right though, we did rent that room for one night only, because that was the only one available and as you yourself mentioned, no one else would accept a Friday night only reservation. We do feel like guests with disabilities require a balcony as all of our guests do and handicap accessible rooms have all the same amenities as the rest of the rooms so I find it surprising that in my three years here, you are the first guest that I have ever heard complain about it. We certainly do not discriminate against our guests nor do we guarantee a specific room type when reserving a room, so when we are in a sold out situation or close to one, we are very limited in what we have to offer.

Tim Goff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just returned from a stay at this hotel. After seeing some of the reviews I thought I would write this. Our room was on the 8th floor oceanfront. It was spacious enough for our family of 5. The queen beds were a plus since it seems when you find a hotel to accommodate a large family the beds are doubles. Our room had entirely ceramic flooring which was nice since the hotel was on the beach and the room could get sandy. Housekeeping was great. Our room and bath were free of sand each day. Bathroom was large and clean, although dated. Staff was very friendly and the taphouse was great especially with the $10 daily coupon. This hotel is conveniently located to everything! This is a great hotel for the price. Just remember you are on the beach not in the Hilton.

Room Tip: Definitely choose the oceanfront rooms
2 Thank manda32
Amen! Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. I am glad that overall you were very pleased with your stay. I appreciate your comment about the Hilton. I have never tried to pretend that we were a Hilton or even provided the outstanding accommodations and services that they do. Potential guests must realize that during peak season the majority of our room rates are half as much as the Hilton. I am very confident that we provide an above average property that is clean, friendly and extremely convenient; all at a very affordable price even when compared to most of the other Ocean City, oceanfront properties. Thank you for understanding that.

Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed three there had a great time, I stayed in 607 had a great view and roof top extra room was the best, I will be back to back 607 again in future. Friendly staff. The rooms were very cool

Richard hill

Room Tip: Room 607 the roof top is the bomb to have a good at the end of a long day
1 Thank Run2rick
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We equally enjoyed being part of your family reunion. I too love room 607 with that extra large balcony with that spectacular view. Thank you for singling out the friendliness of our staff. We constantly strive to have the friendliest and most hospitable staff in Ocean City! I hope you make your family reunion and annual event in Ocean City and hopefully with the Paradise Plaza.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just left today on 7/26/13'. Staff was great and service was excellent! Highly recommend this hotel for any visit. Hotel was accommodating to checking in early to providing toothpaste when needed and paper plates. room was very clean. Great view of the beach and bayview.

1 Thank ynglady
Thank you for your very positive review. We are thrilled that you found the hotel to your liking and very accommodating. We hope to see you back here soon!

WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I apologize as I'm sure this is going to turn into a long review once again, but I want to make sure I cover all bases because I've found the best hotels from others reviews. I've just returned from yet another excellent stay at the Paradise Plaza and I'm not sure why other reviewers are being so negative, unless they are just plain picky and can't be pleased. First, I want to mention that I was a pain from the beginning...apparently when I made the reservation, there was some kind of misunderstanding between myself and the person making the reservation, because I made it clear I wanted to be no higher than the third floor (I have a little one and I am terrified of him falling...plus, I'm afraid of heights so a higher floor simply can't be enjoyed for me). When I saw the confirmation email that said certain floors couldn't be reserved, I emailed the manager, Tim, who told me that the type of room I had was not even on the 2nd or 3rd floors...and that I was on the 5th. We emailed back and forth and he was extremely accommodating of me and assured me the locks would be checked and replaced to ease my anxiety over my small child getting out. When I arrived, he had graciously moved me to the 4th floor which I was extremely appreciative of...4th floor is my absolute highest threshold and I was able to sit on the balcony and enjoy the beautiful view. Thank you Tim! He also assured me his maintenance person had checked and replaced the thumb locks...but the thumb lock did not work, it did not latch to the part on the other side of the door. The bar did work...but my 5 year old was easily able to maneuver that and open the door. At this point, it was the evening and I asked that someone please check it as it appeared that it just needed tightened. I left for a couple of hours and it was clear when I came back that it hadn't been touched, and I went back to the desk to check on the status...the girl at the front desk walkie talkied the person and he said there "was nothing he could do about it." Here is my only negative comment about this hotel...I don't believe that this employee even came to the room. The curtains were closed exactly in the manner I left them and the part wasn't tightened at all. But I will certainly not review a hotel in a bad manner over one employee, and something that I cannot prove. At this point, I was upset, and asked the girl at the desk for a screwdriver to tighten it myself. Another employee overheard, and offered to come do it for me. He tightened the part but it didn't fix the lock. He also tried to find a replacement part, which I highly appreciated...Thank you Greg! Honestly, having someone just TRY and not brush me off makes me happy. I also want to note that Tim came and introduced himself to me when I arrived, something most managers don't bother doing. I have nothing but positivity towards management of this hotel, which is so important when dealing with guest relations.

The hotel itself, other than the balcony lock? Fabulous. The rooms are huge. They are clean. We had plenty of towels. I loved the balcony once I conjured up the courage to meander out onto it. The railing on the balcony was high enough to also help ease my anxiety. I thoroughly enjoyed starting my mornings sitting on the balcony drinking my coffee watching the ocean. I enjoyed my rest times and some evenings on that balcony. What a wonderful view! The beds were comfortable and the AC kept it cold. Was it loud? A little bit, but that's how I sleep best and I loved it. The shower heads were the same as last year...low water pressure, but who really cares about that while at the beach? They also give you $10 off the Taphouse restaurant, who also seemed to have a very involved manager that was intent on keeping his patrons happy. My husband spends countless hours at his hotel/restaurant trying to keep people happy so I know how thankless it can be and I appreciate good customer service. I also appreciate what a pain I was and how graciously I was handled, so again, thank you Tim. I love this hotel more than I did last year and I will keep returning as long as the staff and management continue to treat their guests well. This is a wonderful hotel; don't hesitate in staying here.

Room Tip: I recommend oceanfront for the best view.
1 Thank angelene175
Angie, thank you for your review and sincere appreciation. It means more than you know. If all of our guests were only like you that understand that we aren’t perfect and as much as we would like to, we can’t promise and deliver everything. We will though go out of our way to try our absolute best to accommodate and meet the needs of all guests. Having a guest such as yourself only makes it that much more worthwhile and rewarding that the extra effort is truly not an inconvenience but rather a pleasure. I do want to assure you though that we are continuing our project of replacing the thumb locks on all the sliding doors that need them despite having the secondary security bar. We hope to see you again next summer if not sooner. Thanks again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed two nights in July. I have been staying at the same hotel for 10 years now. I only strayed one time and will NEVER do that again.
My only complaint would be the air conditioner every time it kicked on it sounded like a freight train but it worked very well at keeping the room cool. We stayed In room 605
I wouldn't stay anywhere else :-)

2 Thank TAObrien
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I also appreciate the fact that you let me know what room you were in as I am aware of some of the A/C units being louder than most and at least now, I can have maintenance take a look at this particular unit and hopefully fix it before our next guest experiences the same inconvenience. Thank God it kept you cool as I know the last two weeks have been “sweltering” hot here at the beach! Thank you for being a repeat/return customer. We appreciate your business.

Basking Ridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here for a three night stay. The best thing about the hotel is the location and ample parking. We stayed in a room on the fifth floor. The elevators are slow, small and need air conditioning. The room is average. The housekeepers did a nice job of making sure the room was clean. A light was blown near our room and it was fixed the next day. Money needs to be put into updating the bathroom wallpaper, the loose tiles, and mounting the mini fridge so it doesn't move when you open it. Putting a fan in the bathroom wouldnt hurt either. More carts for luggage would be a bonus, too. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning, while loud, worked wonderfully. The balcony is great; we had a view of the ocean and bay, but please remove the filthy/sandy/moldy carpet and put a full privacy wall between rooms. The hotel provided you with $10/day to the Taphouse restaurant, which was amazing, until this morning where we left after 35 minutes of not receiving our very simple breakfast order. The waitress forgot to put the order in...oops... many others were having a similar issue. We were on a time crunch for check out. (We did, however, get a late check out of 12pm, thanks!) The taphouse is great for drinks and entertainment. We did not enter the "parking lot pool" as it was referred to by other hotel guests on the beach. The hotel staff was friendly; check in and out was simple. Was the hotel bad? Absolutely not. I think it has a lot of potential to be a really amazing hotel if some of the aesthetics of the building were updated.

1 Thank aighty22
Thank you for your comments and your business. No doubt the general consensus is that our location “can’t be beat”. It is funny though to read our guest’s comments as it shows how everyone has a different perception of our pro’s and con’s. You mentioned, “Ample parking” and many of our reviewers tell us that parking is in short supply. True, when we are sold out, parking in front of the hotel can be limited but as you mentioned, there is ample parking across the street in our secondary lot. I am amazed that guest’s complain that they have to walk across the street to a lot that you can literally throw a rock at and hit. I am glad you found your room clean because it is can be a chore cleaning over 2,500 room nights per month. We are only human and with that many rooms to be cleaned and guests arriving early and trying to check in hours before the posted check in time, we will make mistakes. Regarding upgrades and renovations, I more than anyone would love to put a ton of money back into the hotel and all at one time. Unfortunately being an independent hotel, we have to invest in stages. This winter we will be addressing the bathroom fan issue as well as the indoor/outdoor carpet on the few balconies that have it. More luggage carts have already been ordered for this summer. As I mentioned in a previous response, the TAPHOUSE is leased out so we have limited say in their operation. I am glad though that you appreciated the $10.00 credit voucher that you received each day of your stay. I know we have made great staffing strides with the friendliness and ability to accommodate our guest’s needs. I appreciate all your comments and the fact that you said the hotel was not “bad” but it could use some upgrades. I am the first to agree with you and not to make excuses, it is not uncommon for many of the beach hotels to be in the same situation as the sand and seasonality wreaks havoc on the overall physical condition of a hotel. Unfortunately most of the issues cannot be addressed until the off season when occupancies die down. I do hope you will plan on returning sometime in the near future.