“Good time and very accomodating!!!”
Review of Paradise Plaza Inn

Paradise Plaza Inn
Ranked #11 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
New York City, New York
“Good time and very accomodating!!!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My family and I went to Ocean City, MD for our second time. We couldn't get a room at the hotel I had stayed in the past. So I found the Paradise Plaza and saw the reviews on tripadvisor and decided to book a few nights for my husband's birthday. I made the reservations over the phone and the young lady was very nice and helpful. We made a 3 night reservation from June 20-23. We checked in after 5pm and check in was a breeze. We got a room with 2 queen sized beds oceanfront with balcony efficiency. We were on the 4th floor. The room was clean and big with a great view of the ocean and boardwalk. The bathroom was big and there was a small kitchenette. The air conditioner kept the room nice and cold. The beds were comfy and you get complimentary robes (2) and water (2). The mini refridge kept our beverages nice and cold. The hotel had a pool in the back and a parking lot. We parked the car and never moved it. The pool was cold but clean and refreshing, with pool towels for the guests. My family and I really liked the hotel and the polite and courteous staff. I only have a few suggestions to the managers. The bathroom did not have any hooks on the back of the door or by the shower, so you can hang your robes or towels. We did not have the curved shower rod (which I love because you get extra room in the shower and don't have to worry about your body touching the shower curtain). We also did not have the IPOD docking station/radio (which is advertised). Last but not least, the couch in the room was stained. I spoke to the assistant manager who told me they were expecting a new shipment of couches. My suggestion to preserve the couches would be to get couch/sofa covers (you can change them and wash them after the guests check out and you don't have to worry about stains). We ended up putting a white sheet over the couch and it felt better sitting on it. We did not have the housekeeper do our room, but we always got fresh towels and toiletries from her and we would get rid of our garbage. She was really nice. The hotel is also located in a great area in Ocean City, right in the middle of everything. We walked up and down the boardwalk, with lots of places to eat and have a drink. It was great keeping the door open in your balcony and smelling the ocean water and getting a nice breeze. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely go back. Thank you again for being hospitable!!!

1 Thank BMB1
Tim G, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! I appreciate you pointing out all of your positive experiences and am so glad you enjoyed yourself but let me address the negative issues as I am truly sorry for those disappointments. Fortunately most of them are easy fixes. The curved shower curtain was one project I thought we had completed but appears we may have overlooked one or two as that conversion was supposed to be done by now. The hooks on the back of the door is a great idea and something we can do relatively inexpensive and fairly quickly. Unfortunately, just because we are “in season” it is a bit difficult to access the rooms so it may have to wait till the fall when we typically address most of our projects. The sofa covers are a great idea as they are a quick fix until our replacements arrive and for the simple fact that many of our rooms with sofa beds are the more popular room types. You have some great recommendations that I will certainly entertain and see through. Thanks again.

Tim Goff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Landover Hills, Maryland, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The hotel room was clean & spacious. There was a burned out heat lamp in the shower, but it was replaced after I notified maintenance. I also called maintenance when I thought my lamps were not working, only to find out they were unplugged. I couldn't understand why housekeeping unplugged every single lamp in the room(and sometimes the t.v.'s, per maintenance) but.... my overall stay was good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry for those “missed touches” as we should be on top of those little things like burned out bulbs and unplugged lamp fixtures. Those are irritating things that are inexcusable and yet can easily be avoided as long as our staff follows up properly. I am sorry we did not do that. I appreciate your understanding for the “mishaps” and you still gave us some positive remarks. Thank you.

Kentucky
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I loved our room. It was clean, spacious and the bathroom was "around the corner" which gave us all some sense of privacy when getting showers. It was quieter than I expected (you know how loud some hotels can be!). Beds weren't the most comfortable but I wear myself out in OC anyway and could probably sleep deeply on the floor! My only negatives were that the housekeepers didn't ever leave enough towels and washcloths for everyone in the room and we'd have to call down to get them. That wasn't a big issue because the Front Desk staff would have them to us right away. It is just my opinion that housekeeping should know how many are in a room at any given time and make sure enough towels and such are left in the room from the get-go. No biggie though. Just a suggestion to housekeeping. Also, they need an exhaust fan in the bathroom. WiFi was slow but I was in OC for the beach, boardwalk, food and fun,. I only used WiFi in the evening to wind down. I wouldn't recommend their WiFi for a business trip for fast internet speed. Overall, I would stay here again and would highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We had a ocean front room with 2 queen beds and pull out sofa sleeper. It was quiet and it was on t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

What a nice review, thank you. I was pleased to hear that you found your room accommodating and that you were even pleasantly surprised with some of your findings. I’m sorry you had to keep calling down for additional towels. We do try to change our “par” levels after mid June (once school is out) to additional towels in the bathroom due to the increase of occupants in a room due to family vacations. I do realize our WiFi is a bit slow and although last summer we “bumped” the equipment up to accommodate more traffic, it appears that we may need to look into that again. Now days with the increase in the number of guests online at one time plus with multiple devices, it has been hard to keep up with “super fast” speeds. I am glad that you would consider returning as we value our repeat customers and their feedback. Don’t forget to ask about our “Return Guest Rate” next time you visit.

Hagerstown MD
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We usually visit Ocean City once a year and this was our first time staying here. There were a lot of positives and only a few negatives. The location is terrific, on the Boardwalk at 9th street. The lobby is quite small but the staff are all very friendly. Only 2 elevators, also a bit small, but the hotel only has 8 floors so the wait for an elevator was never very long. Nicely designed in that there are no rooms immediately outside the elevators - they wisely used this space for closets, vending, etc.

We splurged for an Ocean Front room and do not regret it one bit. The view was amazing, and even though we were only on 2nd floor, the rooms are quite sound resistant. The sliding door was very heavy, and once we closed it and turned on the AC fan, we heard virtually no Boardwalk noise. The room was very large, with 2 queen beds, a pull-out sofa, bathroom and mini kitchenette. Two complimentary bottles of water each day was a nice touch.

The beds weren't bad, seen better seen worse. Water pressure in the shower was good and the temperature stayed constant. AC was cold and powerful. Housekeeping service was prompt and thorough. Wi-fi was provided free of charge. Parking in the main lot was somewhat limited but with the overflow lot just across the street, we never had problems finding a spot.

Some areas for improvement: the wi-fi was free but it sucked, period. We were on 2nd floor and struggled with signal. Pity the folks up on the higher floors. Vending was hit or miss, there didn't seem to be any pattern to what vending was on what floor, and I even found one ice machine unplugged/not working. The bottled sodas from the one machine I found were completely warm. The refrigerator was too cold and I couldn't find any way to adjust it. The water bottles we put in there froze nearly solid overnight. The hotel just went smoke-free in January, which is a good thing, but the room still had a faint smell of stale smoke. Not too bad though.

In general, the rooms are starting to show signs of age and needing updated. The furniture and fixtures are older looking, the TVs have not been upgraded to flat screens yet, the balconies could use a fresh coat of paint, and there were some places on the carpet that looked and felt a bit worn.

The area that is of most concern is the bathroom. There is no exhaust fan, it looks like they replaced them with heat lamps. This means there is no way to exhaust the moisture from the shower, so the metal frame of the drop ceiling is starting to rust. There was surface rust on the toilet paper holder as well. The biggest problem is that being unable to expel that moisture is going to cause mold. I noticed around the edge of at least one of the drop ceiling tiles where there was mold starting. The hotel needs to address this ASAP before they end up with guests with health issues.

All in all this was one of the better hotels we have stayed at in several years and we will not hesitate to stay here again. I just hope they deal with some of the issues before it gets too bad and they have to take on a massive renovation.

Room Tip: splurge for the ocean front
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rspeaker67
Our location is no doubt one of the hotels most popular attributes. We are very fortunate to have such a convenient location. Unfortunately with such a small hotel, space is at a premium and I guess in the initial development stages that didn’t want to waste it on the lobby or the pool for that matter. I am pleased to hear that the investment we made last summer for energy efficient “on demand” hot water heaters seems to have paid off. I just responded to another guest regarding the WiFi and admitted that although we do offer it and it is complimentary, it is not the fastest. As I mentioned to them; just last summer we upgraded our equipment to supposedly boost the speed but have found that with the increase in the number of guests using it and with multiple devices it may need to be upgraded again. You mentioned that you were on the 2nd floor and wouldn’t you know it, we are wrapping up our flat screen installations this summer. All oceanfront rooms will be done by next week and the balance of rooms by August. I am sorry that we missed that completion date. Thank you for mentioning the bathroom issues. This is not the 1st hotel that I have worked at that has the bathroom exhaust fans on the top of the roof with just a vent in the actual bathroom itself. This is not an efficient way to remove the moisture as I have had similar complaints from hotels that did it the same way. Unfortunately this is not an easy fix but one that I can look into during the off season when we could address the problem. You are right though that in the long run this could very well cause more headaches for us. Thank you for letting me know that this is on the mind of our customers as I would like to address this and see if there is a reasonable and affordable solution. Thank you and I do hope you will keep us in mind for a future visit.

Washington, DC
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Had an amazing time last weekend in Ocean City and our stay at the Paradise Plaza Inn played a big part in that! Perfect location right on the boardwalk and just steps from the beach. Plenty of restaurants and other amenities close by, including a good spot located right at the hotel where we were able to enjoy a game while having dinner. Pleasantly surprised by the overall cleanliness compared to other beachfront hotels we have stayed at in recent years. Actually just booked again for a night over this coming forth of July weekend and can't wait to get back!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kjr37
I am thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful time and that you re-booked a room so soon after your recent stay. I hope your next stay is just as enjoyable and positive. We are fortunate to have such a great location so close to so many different restaurants and “things to do”. Glad to hear that you also enjoyed the 9th Street TAPHOUSE located in the hotel. See you soon.

Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at the Paradise Plaza Inn. Great location, right on the Boardwalk, and walking distance to all the rides and rentals. Also great view on ocean front rooms. Kids enjoyed the pool. Older adults enjoyed the proximity to boardwalk activities. Discount tickets for various restaurants and attractions we a nice touch also.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room.
2 Thank joekane
Thank you for sharing your experience with others! I am glad to hear that your family, young and old alike enjoyed your visit and entertainment. I hope you were able to take advantage of the TAPHOUSE vouchers that we give out at check in. Please keep us in mind for your next visit.

Burnt Hills, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Wonderful location, great hotel !! We had a very nice stay at the Paradise Plaza, close to everything. Clean and comfy beds, and very close to the beach. Very friendly service. Only problem was the sofa bed which was alittle uncomfortable. They did give us a roll a way bed with a small charge but otherwise everything was great!!

1 Thank nygabby1
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I do appreciate it. I am sorry about the sofa bed being uncomfortable. We are hoping that we can replace the majority of sofa beds this year. I am pleased however that overall you seemed to have a pleasant stay. I hope you plan a return trip sometime in the near future.