“Wonderful people, wonderful stay in Paradise of Ocean city, MD!”
Review of Paradise Plaza Inn

Paradise Plaza Inn
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed July 14, 2011

This is a very nice hotel at 9th St and Boardwalk. It is closer to the action than I am used to but it was a wonderful time. My family checked in while I was still enroute. There was a mixup with the size of the room. I called from the car and a very sweet young lady, Gigi answered. I explained the situation and with the most plesant voice assured me that the problem would be corrected. It was, again with the nicest demeanor and a smile.Everyone at this hotel went out of their way to be polite, helpful and and courteous.The room was very nice, spacious and it had a lovely view. The pool was sparkling. The food at the restaurant was very good. Don't miss the blueberry pancakes with blueberry compote, to die for! It was such a good time for all of us. We will return.

2  Thank maryanneb587
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2011

Thank you for your review. I apologize that there was a mix up with your room but am certainly pleased that it was corrected promptly and with a pleasant attitude. Gigi is very good at that. I am also glad to hear that the rest of the staff were equally cordial and lived up to your expectations. It was nice you experienced one of the larger oceanfront rooms that our guests most often request. I hope your kids were able to play in the pool since you found it so inviting.I am especially grateful to hear such positive reviews about the TAPHOUSE since it is new this summer and we want them to stay open year round. I look forward to your return. Thank you!

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I will start off by saying, I am real. I'm not picky, I'm not a person that needs the highest standards in the world to be happy. I don't expect to be treated like I'm the king of the world or anything like that, I'm a guy come on,...however, what I do expect, is to get what I pay for. We paid for an Oceanfront room(507) on the 5th floor. I will tell you my experience as it went. We paid all together around a little under $1000, to say from a thursday to a sunday again like I said on the Oceanfront which is always more expensive, so I wasn't complaining.

So we check-in around 3-4pm-ish, and the lady was ultra nice to us, very skinny long haired black lady. Check-in was very easy going, quick and we got 2 room keys(which is all we asked for, you can get more I believe if you want). We used a hotel-truck to get all of our stuff in the room, which was very nice and easy. So we get up to the room, and immediately the view takes your breath away. VERY beautiful view, and then it hits you. Did I really just walk past this ridiculously small room to get to the view? This room honestly barely fitted the 2 queen beds we asked for, with an old style TV(however cable worked, so no complaints there). So 1st negative is how small the room is, especially because we had seen on the site that they have rooms with couches and such. But, we(my wife, son and I) aren't picky, so we were like ehh, no big deal. We had gotten a room with a jacuzzi, which I loved the jacuzzi, my fiance thought it could have been a little bit bigger, but otherwise she had liked it. The bathroom was simple, shower/tub/jacuzzi all in one, sink with nice size mirror, and simple toilet(lol). The room seemed quite clean, however we found a baby bottle under the one bed which did not belong to us at all.

I myself hate when room service cleans my room when I'm gone, just a personal preference of mine, so I always put a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door at all times, even when we aren't there. I know that makes me seem picky, but I promise I'm not, I just don't like my personals around others, especially if I'm not there. So I usually request towels and sheets to be delivered to us via housekeepers, and we just do it up ourselves.

The positives I will say are this: The jacuzzi was a decent future, the view is very dreamy/amazing. The exit is through a "Sunsations" store right onto the beach, was cool for us cause we like sunsations.

The negatives (read closely, we have a lot more negatives, and this is detailed): Besides from the nice lady at check-in. Every other staff member was not very nice, however this is only from observation as we didn't really interact with them at all, nor did we need to. But we overheard them making fun of some of the guests as they left/walked by. For instance, the day we checked out, I was standing waiting for an elevator to go back up to the room, and the staff/desk workers were laughing that they were gonna tow this womans car that was a guest at the hotel if she didn't move it within 5minutes, as if they were getting some satisfaction out of it. It is one thing to tell someone they need to move their car or they will have to tow it, but it is another thing to just simply make a joke out of her and make her feel like an idiot. My fiance also caught them calling one of the guests crazy, because the guest/lady was simply laughing loudly and jokingly having a good time on her way back up to her room. Another negative would be the ridiculously small room.

This is the negative thing that straight P!ssed me off. It was Saturday, my fiance, my son(1yr. old) and myself were beached out for the day(tired of being on the beach for the day) and wanted to still swim, so we decided "hey lets go to the pool" ya know, the pool at the hotel we paid almost $1000 dollars to stay at. We get there around 7:10pm, remind you its a Saturday. The maintenance/pool cleaner/rude old man/terrible worker/find him sitting around randomly throughout the hotel ...guy, simply said to us "POOL IS CLOSED", so I'm like "what?!", I though it closed at 8(even that was early to me), and he doesn't even respond, he just points to a sign that says 10-7, and the times are on a marker board, which they put up pool times I guess everyday. I am sorry, but if I pay that much money, AND you offer your pool as a great reason to come to your hotel, AND its Saturday, AND there is NEVER a lifeguard on duty(that alone I don't understand why you would close your pool at all), with all that, I don't think it should close at 7pm. That was ridiculous, and opened at 10am, so when we got up at 7am, we couldn't even enjoy a fresh jump in the pool.

Am I stingy for these simple requests? I mean I'm not asking for tiled floors, or gold painted walls, or not even asking for a simple complimentary breakfast, just usual you would think common things.

I would not recommend staying here.

To wrap it all up,... not dirty, beautiful view, small rooms, rude staff, sucky pool/hours(very small pool btw, and its located in the parking lot).

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel.
3  Thank JoeyK1
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay. Although it is certainly was not what I wanted to hear, it was necessary and the issues you experienced, I needed to know about. Thank you. I agree with you 100% that the behavior of any front desk agent that is making fun of a guest either out loud or amongst themselves cannot be tolerated. I know you mentioned that you really didn't have any interaction with the front desk, other than overhearing their conversation, which is a shame since many of our recent comments on Trip Advisor have been very positive specifically about the front desk staff. Not that it matters or makes it acceptable but I do remember this day and a conversation about having a guest's car towed because it was parked illegally and other guest's cars could not get out of their spots because of how it was parked up against the pool fence. We did notify the guest a number of times and although they were aware of the situation they decided to go to the beach until early afternoon.

I am sorry about your displeasure on your specific room size. That is not typical of our rooms and although we do have some room types that are smaller than others, 95% of them are rather spacious.

Unfortunately our pool hours have always been 10 am to 7 pm because of the fact that our pool is not lighted and we want to eliminate as much risk as we can since we are not required to have a life guard on duty because of the pool's depth. But because of bringing this to our attention I have discussed it further with my boss and we are going to extend the hours till at least 8 pm.

Overall as you mentioned, our location is ideal and the view truly spectacular. I do hope you and your family will at least consider coming back to Ocean City and enjoy are town even if you decide to stay elsewhere.

Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

This hotel's location pretty much makes up for any deficiencies it might have. The property is old and could use some renovations but all in all it's well worth the price.
We encountered a few glitches, all of which were solved by the helpful and polite staff, however if they hadn't had a free room we'd have been out of luck, since the air conditioning in the first room we had was malfunctioning and the maintenance man explained it was beyond his level of expertise to repair, fortunately they had the same room empty on a different floor and moved us, he front desk mentioning they'd just give that room to someone else.
The room was clean, bathroom fixtures dated but clean, rug old but clean, microwave, safe, and refrigerator all working. The ice machine on floors 6 and 7 didn't work, and 5 has none so we had to go to the fourth floor for ice.
The elevators were slow, but at that time of year with them busy it seems most every beach resort is that way. Within the same building facing the boardwalk included 3 beach style souvenier shops, a Dairy Queen, and a snack bar similar to the Dairy Queen. A public boardwalk rest room is across the boardwalk adding that convenience when on the beach.
Numerous restaurants were within a few blocks. A small but clean pool (roughly 18x36 ft) was on the side away from the boardwalk, parking spots were one to a room but there was plenty of on street parking only two blocks away (on which our car was vandalized however).

Again, if you want a solid place to stay in a great location this is a great choice, if you are more into high end amenities then look elsewhere.

2  Thank ffdoc2
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

As you said the location is ideal and unfortunately the hotel is about 14 years old although we are constantly renovating and making upgrades each year during the off season. Unlike franchise hotels that will completely renovate their entire hotel at one time, we have to spread out our improvements and projects from year to year. I think you did make a great observation though and that was, overall for the rates charged the hotel offers an excellent price value. It is nice to hear that the staff was able to take care of any issues you had. I know in the summer the ice machines definitely get a work out. I have definitely checked with our maintenance department and at this time they are all working so they may have just been empty and was waiting for a cycle to drop. I do apologize though that you didn’t have ice when you wanted it. As you mentioned, with only two elevators they do get busy during check in and check out. Despite some of your disappointments I do hope you plan a return visit. Keep in mind that past guests are always entitled to our “Return Guest Rate” so our price value will only get better the next time you come.

Tim Goff

Reviewed June 26, 2011

If you are looking for a clean, comfortable no frills hotel you can't do much better than this. Our family of four (two boys 13 & 15) stayed June 21st-25th. We had a partial ocean view with a nice size balcony. The room was clean and the cleaning staff were thorough. Each night I needed requests for extra sheets/pillows. They arrived in a timely fashion and the staff was kind. Check in and out was easy. Keep in mind that this is not a full service hotel. However, you can tell that pride is taken in this establishment. I constantly saw people cleaning trash from the parking lot or someone polishing the front counter. The only complaint that I could make is that the elevators were busy and often took awhile. That being said- there are two of them and the hotel was sold out. There are other choices that do not have any elevators.

Final word- NOT the Hilton- but it was great for its purpose: boardwalk, beach stay, in a quiet comfortable place for a reasonable price. I made it a point to compliment the night manager.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank loves2read71
Hoteltim, General Manager at Paradise Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2011

Thank you for you candid and honest review. You certainly mentioned one point that couldn't be any more true and that was price value. As you mentioned, we are not a full service hotel like the Hilton but we try our best to keep the rooms clean and maintain a friendly staff and atmosphere, yet keeping the rates reasonable and affordable. As you may or may not know, we did open our restaurant (9th Street TAPHOUSE) Memorial Day weekend and it is now open 7 days a week, serving breakfast, lite fare and dinner, late night happy hour and featuring 22 beers on tap. I am glad you were pleased with the housekeeping service as that is one department that is very demanding and often receives little praise. The location, value for your dollar, cleanliness and staff are areas we take pride in. Thank you for noticing and thank you for your business.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

We scheduled our vacation starting June 5th not knowing it was Senior's Week. The teenagers were typical teens but the staff kept them in check and it was great seeing them enjoy something that they worked so hard for. We were in a side ocean view room that allowed us to sit on the balcony and watch the ocean but also watch the passers by. The room was spacious, clean and perfect for a family of four. Thank you Eyvonne for taking such great care of us. Our overall stay was great. Most of the staff were very friendly and anxious to help. As others have mentioned, the pool is small as are most of the pools on the boardwalk but it was perfect for our four year old that is scared to get in the water at the beach.

• Stayed: June 2011
6  Thank Howzaboutstacy

Thank you very much for your understanding. Being here in ocean City during Senior week can often be quite hectic. I am glad that the kids were well behaved. I do know our security staff kept fairly busy during those two weeks. I am glad you enjoyed your balcony especially while watching those strolling along the Boardwalk. That can be quite entertaining in itself. Eyvonne is great and takes pride in taking care of our guests. She is a great employee. I am glad that the rest of the staff was helpful as well. Naturally we can't have everything so although small we are still very fortunate to have a pool, still be oceanfront and have this great location. Thanks for your business and i do hope you return in the near future.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

First, this stay was for my Birthday so it was rather special. The staff was very nice, from the front desk (G G, Myesha and Marvin) to my room which was serviced by Miss Eyvonne who made me feel like a total princess during my Birthday stay! When I opened my door the room was nice and cold because it was very hot out, then I looked on the dresser and there was a bottle of Champagne and chocolates all laid out with a card for my Birthday! how special was that! Talk about class! Everything was definitely up to my standards! I stayed for 4 days and 3 nights......... every time I walked past the front desk I received a warm and friendly "Hello" or "Are you enjoying your stay?" Even tho it was Biker Week I still enjoyed my stay in my Ocean Front View Room! No loud noise at all! Very nice! I will be back in July!

Room Tip: I had an ocean front view! Very Nice!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank FeFe26

Well, happy belated Birthday to you! Thank you for making us part of your special occasion. I certainly agree with your praise for the individuals you mentioned. They are all very eager to help and accommodate in any way they can. I am glad you were still able to enjoy yourself "noise free" as I am very aware how loud it can get in ocean City during that particular weekend. I look forward to your return in July. Be sure to stop by and say 'hi".

Reviewed May 25, 2011

Just some of the greatest people you could want to have at your beckon call.. From the Front Desk to house keeping, these people are on the ball.. The staff in the Hotels - Sunsations beach shop go far above to please the consumer..
This Hotel is in the center of the Boardwalk and the hot spot place to stay while at OC...
Great private balcony and the room was much more spacious than expected..

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jpmaine76

All I can say is THANK YOU for taking the time to send us a review and acknowledging the hotel staff but also the staff from some of the businesses located on our property with easy access to the Boardwalk. It is great to hear! As you mentioned, what can be said about the location?! What have you always been taught in business? Location, location, location.... and friendliness of staff! Thanks -