Comfort Inn Boardwalk
Comfort Inn Gold Coast(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$170
ComfortInn
Hampton Inn & Suites Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$319
Hampton.com
$350
$297
$289
$246
ClarionHotels
Dunes Manor Hotel, Court & Suites(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$319
$287
Grand Hotel & Spa(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$269
Holiday Inn Express Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$260
$219
HIExpress.com
$280
$260
Atlantic Oceanfront Inn(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
$209
Orbitz.com
$613
$567
Hilton.com
All reviewskite loftyogurtoutdoor poolfree breakfastocean frontroom was cleansecond buildingthe breakfast areabuilding next doormain buildingnice breakfastgood sizestove topsmall kitchenettepeople watchingsofa bedwould stay here again
Reviewed October 3, 2012

OK i have not checked in and I'm confused already wen i first called I was told smoking was allowed on the first two floors then a couple days later I was told there was no first floor and its a non smoking hotel!!! I'm so confused.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank davis1983
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is one of the older hotels on the OC Boardwalk, but it's pretty clear that the place has been renovated recently, and as hotel guests we benefit.

We checked in as a split group; my wife and in-laws came earlier than I did, and the desk clerk was understanding and, while only one of the two rooms was ready at that point, he was able to accommodate them. They arranged for the key to the other room, and a parking pass, to be simply waiting for me when I arrived a few hours later. We also got lucky in that there was a cancellation that allowed us to upgrade our rooms to the ocean-side balconies in the main building.

This hotel is comprised of more than one building, with the second building being set closer to the street than the boardwalk. The walk between the two buildings is maybe about 50 feet, so we're not talking about a huge hike, here. This second building also houses the indoor pool, which is a near-twin to the outdoor pool. Both pools have handicap access via a hydraulic chair lift (it doesn't currently appear in the photos on the hotel's website, so this must be a recent addition).

Our room--as noted above--was an upgrade to an ocean-side room, which is a nice size and has a balcony overlooking the ocean. Because the main building is next to the Kite Loft, we had the bonus view of dozens of kites which they have anchored into the beach itself. Our room had two double beds, a pull-out sofa and a kitchenette that included a microwave, mini-fridge (4 CF unit), coffee maker, toaster, sink (with dishcloths and detergent) and a two-burner stove. (My understanding is that some units don't have the stove.) Also included were utensils and plates/cups/glasses for six people, and cooking vessels. The bathroom was a little on the small side and rather oddly laid out, but up-to-date and fully stocked with the usual amenities. Other stuff in the room included the alarm clock radio, iron and ironing board, and flat screen TV with an impressive assortment of channels. Free wi-fi internet is available; we arrived "out of season" (a week after Labor Day) so a password wasn't needed, but you still have to go to a generic OC website first. In-season, you may have to get a password from the desk clerk. I didn't see any data ports in my room so I don't think wired internet is available.

Climate control is provided by a through-the-wall A/C unit. Some rooms (my in-laws') have units with digital displays and the "energy saver" mode so that the unit cycles on and off; others (mine) had an analog control and the unit remained on constantly. So in that realm, your mileage may vary a little.

There's also some space available for you to leave your beach chair, boogie board, etc. without your having to trip over it. There is a safe in the closet that locks with a key rather than the usual electronic code. Personally I'd be more comfortable with the code because it's tougher to lose, but that's a minor complaint.

Everyone in the hotel--EVERYONE, including guests and staff--was friendly and chatty, and none of our conversations with the staff felt like just so much empty noise. Most of the guests we encountered were repeat customers. In fact, the couple in the room next to us told me that they visit every year, and arrange to get the same room each year. It was a very familial atmosphere despite our only being there for the weekend.

The hotel offers a breakfast that's a small step above the usual Continental breakfast: there are DIY waffle makers on hand, and an assortment of pastries, fruit, and stuff to toast, plus cereal and a hot option. On both days for us it was scrambled eggs and sausage, and other reviews here suggest that this may always be the option. And if you brought something of your own that needed heating, there are also a couple of microwave ovens as well. There isn't a lot of room in the breakfast prep/dining area, and this led to some unfortunately self-entitled behavior on the part of some of the other guests. Because the tables were full, we opted to eat in our room. In good weather there are also a couple of tables immediately outside the breakfast area. A few varieties of coffee are also available; and the coffee is there all day, not just during breakfast time.

From a pricing standpoint, it's probably a little more than you'd expect to pay for a Comfort Inn (about $180/night), but it's in the middle range for Ocean City on the boardwalk.

Room Tip: If you couldn't get an ocean-view room when you first booked, try asking again at check-in if there have been any cancellations. Sometimes this happens, and other times they have been forced to cancel a reservation for one reason or another (the most common is a credit card that doesn't go through and they can't get another card from the customer). Bottom line: establish a relationship with these folks, e.g. call the hotel directly for reservations rather than using a website, etc. In the end you'll get much better treatment.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Claude C
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights. Room was in big size, and we were up on the 5th floor. The balcony can see the ocean and the street. Room was clean with good size LCD TV. Breakfast was included with a lot of choices to eat. Finding a parking space was a little bit challenge for us.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chloebebe
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Anyone who has stayed in Ocean City knows the boardwalk hotels are not the cleanest or as nice as the ones on the higher numbered streets. This being said this hotel states that it is Oceanfront and not behind a Hooters restaurant! There is one building on the property that is Oceanfront but the rest of the buildings are scattered all over the place and we happened to be in the one that housed the indoor pool. The smell of Mildew as you entered the property is overwhelming. I just used the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. The rooms were clean but run down. The A/C unit is a window one so it blows out onto the patio. There is a mini fridge and microwave in the room so you can store a small amount of items. Beware if you move your car and try to get a parking spot you will have to walk a few blocks, if you have just made a grocery store run can be quite the pain because you have to cross the main street to get from parking to the hotel. They offer free breakfast, but the day I went in I couldn't even find a place to sit. They fail to mention that you will be dining with all of the staff from the hotel, and after taking a good look at the cleanliness of the area where the food was put out, we opted to grab a quick bite elsewhere. This hotel is good for a weekend but I would never stay for a week. But if you are looking to be close to Hooters by all means this is where you want to be!

Room Tip: Only stay Ocean Front, even then you are right beside the smell of grease traps!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrsscaramo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Comfort Inn at 5th & Boardwalk has always been our go-to hotel. It isn't the fanciest by any stretch of the imagination but it's location is fabulous.

We have always stayed in the building that has the "Ocean View" rooms - they are less expensive and you still have a decent view of the beach. Since I get up early I enjoy sitting on the balcony with my coffee and watching for the dolphins to swim by - and yes, I have seen them almost every time we have stayed here!!! We were sad that they didn't have any vacancies for SunFest this year so we had to find a room elsewhere - now we know to book a little earlier!! A little note - they allow smoking in some of the rooms of this building - so if you are sensative to the smell of smoke, make sure you book in the non-smoking rooms of the ocean front building!!

The rooms are basic beach hotel rooms - but always clean, which is most important. They have a small fridge, some plates and utensils, a small coffee pot and wi-fi is available. Just steps from the boardwalk and beach. Easy access to the free parking (1 space per room) so leaving to go out to dinner was a breeze because there was always a space to come back to.

The have an indoor and an outdoor pool - I'm not a swimmer but my husband is - he tried out the indoor pool which, at the time of our stay was little dicey...the water had a greenish tinge to it so he decided to skip it this trip...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple