“I hope you like the smell of Mildew and Chicken Wings!”

Comfort Inn Boardwalk
Ranked #28 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“I hope you like the smell of Mildew and Chicken Wings!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Anyone who has stayed in Ocean City knows the boardwalk hotels are not the cleanest or as nice as the ones on the higher numbered streets. This being said this hotel states that it is Oceanfront and not behind a Hooters restaurant! There is one building on the property that is Oceanfront but the rest of the buildings are scattered all over the place and we happened to be in the one that housed the indoor pool. The smell of Mildew as you entered the property is overwhelming. I just used the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. The rooms were clean but run down. The A/C unit is a window one so it blows out onto the patio. There is a mini fridge and microwave in the room so you can store a small amount of items. Beware if you move your car and try to get a parking spot you will have to walk a few blocks, if you have just made a grocery store run can be quite the pain because you have to cross the main street to get from parking to the hotel. They offer free breakfast, but the day I went in I couldn't even find a place to sit. They fail to mention that you will be dining with all of the staff from the hotel, and after taking a good look at the cleanliness of the area where the food was put out, we opted to grab a quick bite elsewhere. This hotel is good for a weekend but I would never stay for a week. But if you are looking to be close to Hooters by all means this is where you want to be!

Room Tip: Only stay Ocean Front, even then you are right beside the smell of grease traps!
1 Thank mrsscaramo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Downingtown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Comfort Inn at 5th & Boardwalk has always been our go-to hotel. It isn't the fanciest by any stretch of the imagination but it's location is fabulous.

We have always stayed in the building that has the "Ocean View" rooms - they are less expensive and you still have a decent view of the beach. Since I get up early I enjoy sitting on the balcony with my coffee and watching for the dolphins to swim by - and yes, I have seen them almost every time we have stayed here!!! We were sad that they didn't have any vacancies for SunFest this year so we had to find a room elsewhere - now we know to book a little earlier!! A little note - they allow smoking in some of the rooms of this building - so if you are sensative to the smell of smoke, make sure you book in the non-smoking rooms of the ocean front building!!

The rooms are basic beach hotel rooms - but always clean, which is most important. They have a small fridge, some plates and utensils, a small coffee pot and wi-fi is available. Just steps from the boardwalk and beach. Easy access to the free parking (1 space per room) so leaving to go out to dinner was a breeze because there was always a space to come back to.

The have an indoor and an outdoor pool - I'm not a swimmer but my husband is - he tried out the indoor pool which, at the time of our stay was little dicey...the water had a greenish tinge to it so he decided to skip it this trip...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank StaciKing921
Virginia
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Right in the middle of everything. On the boardwalk but quiet. Rooms were adequate. Breakfast was nice. Service was very good. All in all, nice hotel. Great to see they have handicapped accessibility. Even the pools were equipped with wheelchair access. Kudos on that!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank planningjunetrip
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I read lots of reviews on trip advisor before settling on the Comfort Inn. It was the perfect location for my 9 yr old son. We were within walking distance of all the games and rides on the boardwalk. We had an easy walk onto the beach. The room was clean and of adequate size for two. The bathroom was small but updated. We had a 1st floor oceanfront room, which sounds great except for the noisy boardwalk at 2am. The free breakfast had several options including cereal, eggs and sausage, and pastries. Staff was not overly friendly but certainly handled all of our requests quickly.

Room Tip: Expect noise from the boardwalk if you have an oceanfront room. Great for viewing fireworks on Tues...
2 Thank redaduffy
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I checked in for three nights. I was in the pink building behind the ocean front one. 1stfloor Was given a password for the internet and could not log on. Apparently there is a different code for that building....1AM I hear a thump above me that sounded like a bowling bowl was being dropped. I called the front desk at 2AM, the desk clerk said she would take care of it.
It continued and I called back at 2:25 and she said she was up and checked it out and they were quiet. She asked if it sounded like furniture being moved and I said it did and she explained it's the sliding glass patio door. Needless to say my first night was sleepless and the guest above me was up all night. Other than that, it's a nice place to stay. Comfortable beds, nice breakfast and housekeeper Don was very nice and accomodating.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor
2 Thank diske1142
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel. We had a room in the main building which was clean and pretty big. It had a small breakfast table, fridge, microwave, oven, sink & sofa. Our room was on the side but you could see the ocean from the balcony.
There is a really nice deck right on the boardwalk with plenty of lounge chairs for a great view of people on the boardwalk and beach. The outdoor pool is really small but they also have an indoor pool in the 2nd building which I did not see.
The free breakfast in the lobby was fair. Nice parking lot with plenty of space. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Carol, our housekeeper, was one of the nicest people.
This hotel is a little pricey but worth it for the great location and pool deck right on the boardwalk.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mln304
Pittstown
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Great location right on boardwalk steps from the beach not too far to walk to the rides & games. Indoor & Outdoor pools rooms were clean, staff friendly & helpful! The free hot breakfast was great saved a lot of $$ there. Don't know why other reviewers had problems but we never experienced any! Would definetly stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012