“Atlantic Oceanfront Inn - Not the “Mint on the pillow” hotel experience”

Atlantic Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #36 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Here is my review of Atlantic Oceanfront Hotel and my experiences. I am going to hit on some main categories and give you the Pros & Cons of this place. I am going to rate their customer service and I am also going to rate them from a consumer perspective. I have been in the customer service field for over 23 years. I am a manager of a customer service team and have a keen understanding of what the consumer desires from their experience.
1. The Front Desk – This is the first experience any customer will have when arriving at a hotel. This is probably the most important position a hotel can staff. When I arrived the Staff was courteous in a cold but professional manner. (Not down home friendly) I was coldly told my room would not be ready until 4PM. End of conversation. From a consumer point of view it was lacking that friendliness. Especially since I had just paid a large sum of cash for the week. The front desk did not offer up any more information than the bear minimum required to pass you through the process and to your room.
2. The Room – As we walked down the hallway towards our room, I noticed dents all over the outside of the door. Also, I noted the door had, at some point in time, been forcibly entered. As we entered the room, the smell of old potatoes was lingering. We asked the maid if she had anything like Fabreeze. She proceeded to enter our room and spray some sort of air freshener throughout. This lasted for about 15 minutes and the smell returned. The refrigerator was scratched up and dented. Also the refrigerator was not working. The couch arm rest had been caved in as though someone was jumping on it. The room doors dividing our room from the kitchen had holes in them. The walls in out bedroom had drips stains running down them. As if someone flung a beverage at the wall. A couple of the pots and pans had been put away dirty. I scrubbed the floors as they were sticky. I also bought Lysol spray and proceeded to spray everything. Our room was an ocean front room but with no view except for the dunes and some trash blowing around outside from the adjoining hotel’s party goers.
You can hear everything outside your door. This means everyone outside your door can hear you.
3. The Amenities – The swimming pool is very tiny. If there are 12 kids in the pool. The pool is full. Wi-Fi worked well. The TVs worked fine. The bed was comfortable. The AC worked well.

Pros – The hotel is conveniently located on 45th street and is midway between many of the attractions. It is also very close to the beach. Staff worked to resolve my complaints in a professional yet cold manner. Wi-Fi and cable worked well.
Cons – Not a specifically family oriented hotel. Very mixed crowd of party goers and families, which is not a good mix. Not an overly friendly hotel. Rooms are in need of serious cleaning. Floors need to be scrubbed. Carpet needs to be shampooed. Walls need to be cleaned. The swimming pool is really small. The location is next to a party hotel. Parking is at a premium. If you are looking for the “Mint on the Pillow” type of experience. This is not the place.

Rating - Overall I rate this hotel at a 5 out of a possible 10 in all categories. They need some improvements. Which if the owners care they would make changes. Families considering staying at this hotel please seriously think about the above statements. I am not a perfectionist by any means. But when you lay out a large sum of money for a hotel room, you have certain expectations. Clean rooms, friendly staff and a well-managed facility.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the lower floors. You will have no privacy and no view. Try to book your room on the...
2  Thank sunvaltre
carouselresort, Manager at Atlantic Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear valued guest, thank you so much for being our guest, and thank you for your review! Here at the Atlantic Oceanfront Inn, we want to offer the best consumer experience possible. We work hard to make sure you get the vacation you deserve. We do apologize about the hotels policy for check in time, but with a check out time of 11, we sometimes need the full allotment of time to prepare the rooms.

We do apologize for the smell, we do out-source a professional carpet cleaning service which typically alleviates these sorts of issues.

The Carousel Group has bought this property in 2011 in an effort to restore and beautify this quaint oceanfront hotel. We have been renovating the rooms and hotel since the purchase and are excited to make improvements on a regular basis.

When you book a room with the Carousel Group, you can take advantage of all the benefits of the Carousel Group Vacation Package! We hope you had a chance to enjoy the Carousel Group Vacation Package. The Carousel Group Vacation Package offers the most amenities in Ocean City! Book a room at our hotel and get great discounts just for being our guest! Guests staying at any of our great hotels can join us for - FREE Ice shows every night at 6:30 (June 12 - Aug 20). - FREE Voucher for our free family photo night, - FREE Movies on the beach Wednesdays on 118th st - FREE Family movie night at the Carousel - FREE Live entertainment on Carousel Back patio everyday in the Summer from 2 - 6pm - 10% discounted dining at The Carousel.

Thanks again for being our guest, we hope to have you again in the future to enjoy all we have to offer.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Very clean, quiet and the oceanfront views are beautiful. Julian at the front desk was friendly and helpful. Great location too. The only bad experience we had, was the parking is very minimal. Other than that, it's a great place to stay. Will be back again!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gerty71

Dear valued guest, thanks so much for your review and thank you for being our guest! We work hard to make sure your vacation is one to remember, and it's always a pleasure to hear our hard work has paid off! We have an excellent view of the Ocean and are within walking distance to a ton of great local attractions including dining, nightlife, and much more!

Thanks again for being our guest, we cannot wait to have you again at our hotel in beautiful Ocean City MD.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place was filthy. It is in need of some serious updating. My family and I stayed at this hotel for two nights,and I have to say I was very disappointed .The elevator was slow and filthy. The room we stayed in was disgusting. We had to bleach the bathroom,and kitchen just so we could feel comfortable here. There was urine all over the sides of the toilet. I also sprayed Lysol over every other surface. The carpeting around the edges looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed in years!!! There we finger nail clippings on the floor.( They weren't ours)
A child vomited in the elevator and carpet in front of it in the evening, and in the morning the elevator still smelled like vomit, and the stain from the vomit was still on the carpet!
The parking situation was also a hassle. If you plan to stay out late don't expect to find a spot in their lot.
They charge way too much money to stay in this place. The only thing this place has going for it is the proximity to the beach.

2  Thank Anonymous A

Dear valued guest, we thank you for your review and thank you for your review. We do apologize for any dissatisfaction with the quality of your stay. We work hard to provide comfortable accommodations and would have gladly moved your room considering any of these complaints. Our property manager is looking into these inquiries and we will have them handled professionally and promptly.

Parking is on a first come, first serve basis and we do provide one spot for each room rented. Off street parking is free and not hard to find either.

We hope to have you again at our hotel in Ocean City MD, thanks for being our guest.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I booked my stay in Feb. of this year. We stayed 3 nights and just got home today. We stayed in a standard view room first floor. I was shocked you could see some of the ocean and palm trees were nice scenery. We loved the location it was very quiet and relaxing. However, the room was not as clean as I liked it to be. The bathrooms need to be updated for sure. The shower liner in our room was cut half way barley keeping water in the tub. I guess because it was growing mildew instead of replacing it they cut the bottom off. They advertise a full kitchen with all utensils. There were only 2 pots in this kitchen very little silver wear and no spatulas. The plates and cups are a hard plastic type of material. It looked like cafeteria plates to me. Only had 3 plates 2 cups. The pullout couch had hair on it not from us! So we had to ask to get that cleaned. After the first night the a/c started to blow hot air. I called down and talked to Julian. He quickly helped us and felt that is was humid and hot in our room. So he moved us to a different room ASAP. That night the a/c stopped working also. They called someone to come look at it and it was fixed but still not as cold as id like it to be. Very humid. The dishes in this room were dirty and still had food on them. I went out and bought plastic plates,cups,silverwear. I will say that I love the location but this hotel is not worth the money they are charging. Seems to me they are cutting cost that are making them look bad. Pool is very small. The beds were comfortable the sheets were to small and kept falling off all the time.

Room Tip: ask what rooms have a new a/c unit!
2  Thank Brittany w

Dear valued guest, thanks so much for being our guest, and thanks for the review! Our Ocean Patio rooms do boast a great view, despite not being considered Ocean Front. We do apologize about any dissatisfaction you may have experienced, we have a great staff on hand available for any inquiries you may have. Your notes have been heard and we will be discussing them at our next employee meeting. We do many renovations every year and will be looking into the cutlery issue for this next season. We hope you had a chance to enjoy the Carousel Vacation Package. The Carousel Group Vacation Package offers the most amenities in Ocean City! Book a room at our hotel and get great discounts just for being our guest! Guests staying at any of our great hotels can join us for - FREE Ice shows every night at 6:30 (June 12 - Aug 20). - FREE Voucher for our free family photo night, - FREE Movies on the beach Wednesdays on 118th st - FREE Family movie night at the Carousel - FREE Live entertainment on Carousel Back patio everyday in the Summer from 2 - 6pm - 10% discounted dining at The Carousel. Thanks again for being our guest, we hope to have you once more in beautiful Ocean City Md.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Girls weekend trip was ok. Location was amazing. Place smelled like mold and the beds had sand upon our arrival. We payed for the location, not any amenties or luxury. If you are staying for a night or two, the place is fine--anymore then that and its worth it to look for a house or condo.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank caligrl687
carouselresort, Manager at Atlantic Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear valued guest, thank you so much for being our guest and for choosing the Atlantic Oceanfront Inn as your vacation accommodations! We apologize about the sand and any mildew smell you may have experienced. Hotels with Oceanfront locations typically have to treat for mildew on a common basis, we work hard to keep this at an absolute minimum and have several treatments to suppress this issue.

1. Promote ventilation with dehumidifier P-Tech units in every room. Mildew spores typically grow on organic matter in the presence of high humidity levels, which is why our air conditioners in every room remove humidity from the air, suppressing mildew growth.

2. Chemical solution and treatment. Mildew is present almost everywhere in high humidity environments, and once it attaches itself to something, it can be easily treated with a chemical solution in the bathroom areas, carpet and anywhere mildew is spotted. This is a great preventative method which we endorse, every time a room is cleaned.

The sand issue is unacceptable and we are reviewing this issue at the next employee meeting.

Thank you again for your review, we hope to have you back with us once more in beautiful Ocean City!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was very nervous coming to this hotel. When I booked it back in January 2013 there were really no bad reviews. Within the last couple weeks I have read a few of bad reviews that made me want to cancel my reservations but we didn't. I packed our own bedding and cleaning supplies expecting to have to clean when I got here but was surprised it was better than I expected. I love that it was right on the beach, we have a great view and have even seen dolphins every morning. There was sand in the pool but being on the ocean what do you expect. I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. We stayed in room 310 and I have no complaints......

5  Thank Tara B
carouselresort, Manager at Atlantic Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear valued guest, we thank you for your business and thank you for your review of our hotel! We did get a few negative remarks in the past few weeks but have addressed all the issues professionally and efficiently. We take our time to listen what our valued guests have to say and work hard to make sure we are doing everything we can for the comfort of our guests.

One of the great perks to staying at the Atlantic isnt just the free beach chairs, or the great location, but the fact that we are located directly on the beach in beautiful mid-town Ocean City, MD. We have some of the best staff members working at our hotels and it truly shows by the feedback we receive.

Thanks again for being our guest, we hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the Atlantic the weekend before the 4th, for four nights. My husband and I and our 2 small children stayed in an oceanview, 2nd floor room with 2 queens and a pull-out sofa. I've been coming to OCMD my whole life, but this was the first time we came as a family. For the price and location, we couldn't have asked for a better hotel.

Some notes:
-- Best hotel location: on the beach, no nearby high-rises, etc. Seriously - this made our vacation.
-- The staff, especially the front desk crew, were always pleasant and helpful.
-- The parking situation was handled beautifully. We arrived early on Saturday during the check-out/check-in cross-over and parking was hard to find. They had their security out checking parking tags and offered to move our car when a spot opened up.
-- If you're expecting the Ritz, you'll be disappointed. The hotel was very basic, but not shabby. Very typical of other budget friendly hotels/motels in OCMD. You can see how they're slowly moving through the upgrades - I think the oceanfront rooms are probably a little nicer.
-- It was always clean, but there could be improvements. Like other reviewers, our bedsheets never fit quite right and a corner always popped off. I still don't understand why all hotels don't get rid of the crappy bedspreads and go with the white duvet/coverlets like the chain hotels. Haven't we all seen enough Oprah black-light specials?
-- The mattresses have seen better days, but it didn't ruin our trip - we all slept great.
-- The kitchenette was great and well stocked w/ dishes, cups, etc. I'd suggest they keep dustpans/swiffers in the rooms to help manage the sand we tracked in - but they'd probably get lost or stolen. But that would have come in handy for us.

I can recommend:
Belly Busters: Crabs & sandwiches & beer. We would bring the kids back to the room for their naps mid-day and one of us would grab sandwiches from Belly Busters down the block and we'd eat on our balcony.
45t Street Taphouse & OC Steamers: Great location right accross the street and they were really cool with the kids (sand-pail souvineers, etc.)
Fish Tales: Go early, stay forever. Good food, great drinks, amazing concept with the play area/face-painting for the kids.
Heavy Crabs @ 42nd & Coastal: I ordered crabs to bring home for the 4th - they were pricey, but hands down the best crabs I've had in years. The owner and staff are phenomenal.

Avoid at all costs: the Jolly Roger "amusement park". A complete and utter racket. Terrible staff, terrible concept. We should have just walked out when we learned how much it cost. Stick to the boardwalk.

All in all, I've already recommended it to friends and we'd definitely stay here again. Well-managed property in a prime, can't-be-beat location.

Room Tip: Oceanfronts have been upgraded first, the higher the floor the better the view.
3  Thank M M

Dear valued guest, thanks for you business during the 4th of July celebrations. We are so happy you made The Atlantic Oceanfront Inn your holiday accommodations. We do boast an amazing location close to night life, dining, local attractions and we are directly on the beach!
The Carousel Group did take over this hotel in 2011 and has been making some great improvements to the property and the rooms. We do offer an amazing vacation package as well. The Carousel Group Vacation Package offers the most amenities in Ocean City! Book a room at our hotel and get great discounts just for being our guest! Guests staying at any of our great hotels can join us for - FREE Ice shows every night at 6:30 (June 12 - Aug 20). - FREE Voucher for our free family photo night, - FREE Movies on the beach Wednesdays on 118th st - FREE Family movie night at the Carousel - FREE Live entertainment on Carousel Back patio everyday in the Summer from 2 - 6pm - 10% discounted dining at The Carousel. Thanks again for being our guest, we hope to see you again soon!