“You Get What You Pay For, But Not In A Bad Way”

We can't find prices for this hotel
EconoLodge Oceanfront Ocean City
Ranked #71 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I used this hotel for fire week. I only paid about 100 bucks, and I got what I paid for. The room was clean, but no frills (not even an HDTV), same with the beds. Parking was good, the pool was pretty good too. It's a good hotel if your just looking for a place to crash for a night or two and don't want to spend a ton of money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank gprimr1

Reviewed February 13, 2014

It was okay. Plenty of parking. A little bit of walking to boardwalk but good exercise. Wouldn't recommend if you have small kids who get tired easily & plan to go to board walk a lot. Koi pond was extremely shocking, bad upkeep and felt really bad for the fish (unclean no filter)! Need to work on that.. Nice because our room had view of the Jolly Rogers theme park, super close to water park. Near restaurants. Overall stay was nice!

Room Tip: 2nd floor has less noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 319alewis
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This past July of 2013, we stayed at the Rodeway Inn and we had a wonderful stay! Thinking back there's not one bad thing that I can say about it.. We stayed there for a week in mid July and the room rate was the best oceanfront rate I have ever found in Ocean City! The room was very clean and comfortable, there wasn't anything I needed to do to make us feel more at home.. Usually I feel the need to wipe and disinfect everything but I didn't really need to do that there.. The beds and pillows were very comfortable, and the bed linens weren't from the 1970's.. The furniture, kitchenette, and bathroom was updated. All in all it was a very good stay, I would definitely stay there again! Also, I have already recommended it to friends and family!

Room Tip: Continental breakfast is average, nothing fancy like a waffle maker..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ChaCha1651
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is our fourth time staying here and again it was enjoyable, was a last minute get away to the beach to squeeze in one last time before winter, got an oceanfront room the night before and went down this past Sunday. Got down early and was able to park there and enjoy the beach for a while before we got the room. Went back around three to get the key and the older gentleman who checked us in earlier remembered us from being there before and moved us from the second floor to fourth floor oceanside. I regret I never got his name but he always seems to be the one who takes care of us and he always does a great job. Oceanfront rooms above the first floor have a great view of the beach.
While the rooms are not the greatest they are clean and the beds are comfortable, who really spends a lot of time in the room at the beach anyway. Also the breakfast is not the greatest is free and the coffee is good.
All in all a good place to stay at the beach and will look to stay there in the future.

Room Tip: If you don't plan on using the safe let them know at check in or you will be charged, but again...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobertb
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The front desk staff were all friendly and very helpful. Flo and Ann were the housekeepers and they were very friendly and the rooms very clean. It was closed to many good restaurants like Coins to name one.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bakaman
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Really pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Stayed one Saturday night in the oceanfront building on the 4th floor. Room was clean, building is solid and no problems with noise. We were very happy to find that in addition to the promised fridge and microwave, there was a small sink area with granite counters, cupboards and dishes, along with soap, dishrag and towels to wash them. There is a coffeepot in the room but you need to bring your own coffee so far as I could see. Plan to breakfast elsewhere as it looked like just juice, coffee, instant oatmeal and pastries are available on the lobby breakfast. Still, the coffee was pretty good. Our total price with tax was $144/night. The oceanfront building is completely worth the slightly higher price. Beautiful view and just 2 blocks walk to the north end of the boardwalk. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HfromMD
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here one night, Sunday, Sept. 15th. This is the "off season", yet it was the very end of OCMD "bike week" and was still kind of a busy night. I researched this hotel on TA, and decided to give it a try. We were pleased, and would go back again if I am able to get a good deal again. I found an excellent deal for an OF room (on line), so my review is of the OF building. The property consists of 2 buildings; one directly OF, and one behind it, separated by a parking lot, which is referred to as "city view" in the rates on-line.

The cons:
1). NO SCREENS ON THE BALCONY DOOR!? I LOVE to listen to the sound of the waves/ocean, especially at night when I'm sleeping. To me there is no better sound on earth. I looked, and NONE of the OF rooms have screens on the balcony slider doors. I can only speculate that this is either due to security issues OR, concern with storm damage during thunderstorms and people leaving the glass doors open when they are not in the room. Still, this left me in a quandary of sorts ....... do I leave the door open at night and risk flies/mosquitos or, worse still (to me) leave the OF balcony door closed and miss out on my favorite part of an OF room! In the end, I decided to leave the door open after 11PM because I know mosquitos are very weak flyers (and there was a pretty strong breeze) and figuring that flies are mostly out in the daytime. We ended up with 2 flies in the room in the morning when I closed the door shortly after sunrise.

2). The balconies are only "semi-private". The divider between room balconies is a metal panel, but it is not a complete panel, all the way to the floor, and not all the way to the rail ........ it is partially open, so if you have neighbors on their balconies you will not have as much privacy as you might have expected.

3). ONE elevator in the OF building to serve 48 rooms on the 2nd floor and above.

4). The outdoor pool WAS cold as others have mentioned, but then this was Sept. 15th.

5). The bathrooms/shower rooms in the indoor pool area need a bit of sprucing up.

The PROS (and, there are MANY more PROS than cons)!!

1). LOCATION/LOCATION/LOCATION. Gorgeous, wide stretch of beach here!! Within walking distance to Higgin's Crabhouse, Wendy's, McD's, Anthony's Beer/Soda/sandwiches, etc., Papa Johns, small convenience stores, right across Ocean Hwy. from a large theme park for children (sorry, don't remember the name), easy walking distance to one of the best happy hour bars in OC (Coconuts Tiki Bar @ Castle's in the Sand - Live music early - sometimes 12 - 8 or 9 p.m., and they get good bands!!), only approx. 2 or 3 short blocks to the end of the boardwalk, and only 2 properties down from the Dunes MANOR (not the "regular Dunes motel) hotel, which has a nice, cozy, romantic OF dining room, a very small bar, and (main reason I am mentioning it) a very nice, wide OF deck lined with rocking chairs and an expansive view. For the price of a cocktail from the bar you can sit and spend some time just rocking away, enjoying the quiet, the view and even a do a bit of reading.
2). OF building is a small, 5 story building with 60 units, 12 across.
3). EXCELLENT views of the ocean and beach, especially 3rd floor and above.
4). OF units are well equipped mini-efficiency units for the price, with microwave, coffee pot, mini-fridge, storage cupboards, melanine (plastic) cups, plates, utensils, ironing board and iron.
5). Our unit was very clean. The bedspreads/linens were what you would expect of a budget hotel, but everything was clean, smelled clean, etc. All of our towels were bright white and nice smelling, and not the "thread bare" that is often associated with budget hotels. Plus, our cleaning lady (an older lady) was an absolute DOLL, and it is obvious that she takes pride in what she does!
6). They allow you to have 6 people in these units for whatever rate you obtain. There are two double beds and a sofa bed, with a "half wall" between the region of the 2 dbls and the sofa bed (which is near the OF slider door). Sheets for the sofa bed and extra blankets provided.
7). The outdoor pool deck is quite nice, with very nice chaise lounges and a few tables with umbrellas.
8). The indoor pool area was large, had quite a few lounge chairs, and the pool was warm, fairly large and appeared clean.
9). AC unit was efficient and quiet and bathroom has wall heat if needed.
10). Flat screen tv on a swivel stand that can be directed towards the beds or the sofa.
11). Continental breakfast is sparse (coffee/tea/hot chocolate, package oatmeal, watered down juices, bagels, packaged sweet rolls) but available.

Summary: If you can get a deal you are happy with, this place is a good deal. I personally would pay up to $30/$40 more per night for the OF units during summer season, because the view is fabulous ........ trust me on that one!!

Room Tip: Request a room 2nd floor or higher in the OF building. 1st floor rooms in the OF building have no p...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple