“Consistently Great Experiences at the Rodeway Inn!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
EconoLodge Oceanfront Ocean City
Ranked #71 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
New Jersey
“Consistently Great Experiences at the Rodeway Inn!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

This was the third year we stayed at the Rodeway Inn. My family was looking for a change of pace/scenery from the Jersey Shore we had frequented since we were kids. We originally found it by calling all the Ocean Front hotels up and down the beach. The Rodeway Inn had the best prices by far so we gave it a shot. The first year (2006) my family (me, husband and 2 children-6 and 2 at the time) and my parents went and had adjoining rooms-which was great for the kids to spend time with them. The last 2 years my brother's family (consisting of his wife and 3 kids-now 8, 4 and 4 months) joined us as well. We all feel we could not have made a better choice!!

The rooms are clean and big-2 double beds and then a fold out couch-with a partition between them. There is a small table and chairs and a coffee table and a TV armoire and dresser w/ mirror. There is a small kitchen area with a little fridge, sink and microwave-also a little coffee maker. There is an area to hang clothes with a safe also. The bathroom is spacious with a tub shower and a large vanity/counter area.

The first 2 years we were able to have the couch opened up and also had a crib (the hotel provided) set up in the room all at once and were still able to easily move around once adjusting the table/chairs and coffee table.

The absolute BEST feature is the veranda. What an amazing view of the ocean-which is just steps away. They have chairs and a small table out there and there is plenty of space to have a few people sit comfortably. If you have the adjoining rooms-the verandas have a partial half wall so you can chat out there yet they are private enough if you don't know your neighbors also. Every night I'm there, after the kids are in bed, I sit outside and read a book and enjoy the ocean breeze and watch the people strolling the beach in the moonlight. Aside from one dragonfly this year-I have never had any issues with bugs at all while out there either-a BIG difference from Jersey!

The outdoor pool is directly down below and just beyond that is the short path through the dunes onto the beach. The beaches are clean and safe-they have umbrella rentals ($15/day) and chair rentals available on the beach and there are also some people that walk around and ask to take pictures of your family or kids (there is a fee only if you buy them). When you return from the beach you can rinse your feet (and beach toys if you have kids) right as you walk off the beach as the hotel has a little shower at the edge of the pool.

There is also an indoor pool with windows all around making it light and bright and great for after the beach or for a rainy day or late night swim (it's open until 10pm) There are also bathrooms and changing rooms in there-a great plus when you are at the beach and need a quick place to go!

The staff is great-very friendly and helpful! Check in and out is always quick and they are great at accomodating requests (our 3 rooms are always right next to each other). The continental breakfast isn't glamorous but it works well for mornings when you just want to get out to the beach first thing. They added bagels this year which was a nice treat for something different. The other choices are Sara Lee packaged muffins and danishes-not bad at all. Coffee is available all day. Also there is a soda machine outside the lobby.

There is lots of parking available and unless you get back really late at night you can usually get a spot right near the entrance. Even if not-it's a short walk-and the elevator is right near the entrance also. There are also entrances on both sides of the building (in addition to the center one) and one has a ramp for luggage carts or strollers.

Location is great-one short block from the Jolly Roger Amusement Park, Go Karts and the Water Park. You can walk to several kinds of restaurants including 2 crab houses, an Italian place, McDonalds, Tommy's Sub Shop, and many others. The boardwalk is about a 5 minute drive down the road and parking in the municipal lot is easy and cheap and gives you a very short walk across the street to the rides and arcades.

It's not fancy or first class-but it's perfect for an affordable convenient laid back family vacation! This year over the course of 5 days-my son didn't take out his Nintendo DS once-now THAT is saying something :)

We can't wait until next year's trip to Ocean City and our stay at the Rodeway Inn!!

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Maid service can be late
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank dawndell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bel Air, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

I had been looking over the internet for weeks trying to find an oceanfront hotel that had reasonable prices and good reviews. I came across this one and at least got the good reviews. The prices I found online turned out to be higher than when I called the hotel itself and I ended up paying about $300/night. For that price I expected much better.

The staff was excellent! I had to call twice, once for the original reservation and again to change days. Both times the man who answered the phone was friendly and helpful. When we arrived too early for checkin the man at the front desk was friendly and quick to preregister us. He also welcomed us to use the changing rooms at the indoor pool, use either of the pools or just spend a few hours on the beach until our room was ready and we could pick up our key.

We had an upper floor balcony reserved, but had to switch our days and ended up with 1st floor oceanfront. The view was OK, you can see the ocean but not the beach and the outdoor pool is right in front of you. It was convenient to be able to let the kids swim while we were getting ready in the room and still be able to watch them. Both pools were great with plenty of cushioned lounge chairs to go around. The indoor pool is surrounded by sliding glass doors which were open. It's bright and breezy in there and no overwhelming chlorine smell.

The room itself had an unusual odor the moment you step through the door. There was also an odor on the patio coming from the A/C unit. It should be known though, that I've been accused of having a "bionic nose" and being a little sensitive to smell. That being said, neither odor was so persistent that I even bothered to notify the front desk. The carpeting seemed either new or very well cared for. It was soft and comfy, not even a little sticky like you sometimes get at the beach.

The room had 2 double beds, a pull out love seat, and a kitchenette. The beds were a bit small to me, I'm used to a king size, but they weren't too uncomfortable. The sheets on both beds were stained but seemed clean. There were extra pillows already in the room. The loveseat was clearly dirty and stained, we never opened it, didn't even want to see the inside. The kitchenette had a nice fridge, microwave, coffee pot, toaster dishes, and glasses. It was really nice.

This was the first time we stayed somewhere off the boardwalk. It's only about 2 blocks to the boardwalk, but we like to go back and forth from the beach to the boardwalk pretty frequently for food, drinks or just walk around.

I expected more for my money and for that reason would probably not stay here again. We have decided to go back to staying on the boardwalk and for that reason will definitley not stay here again. We're going to try out The Stowaway Grand Hotel on 21st and boardwalk next time.

• Liked — Beach front
  • Disliked — Stains and smells, too far from boardwalk
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Stacey6574
Rochester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

Stayed here for a few days this month. Great location, room was very spacious and airy. Stayed on 3rd floor with ocean front room. I agree it was very quiet even with families all around. Just down the elevator, out the door and you were at the beach. The only difficulty was getting into the building - had to climb stairs to get to 1st floor and then elevator. May be hard for some people. The boardwalk was just a few minutes away from the hotel. Each room had a refrigerator, sink and microwave. The breakfast was plain - prepackaged bagels and pastries - but at least they were fresh and untouched by others. My only complaint is that they should have had jelly and/or peanut butter to go along with the cream cheese and butter. Fine for what it was. Coffee all day but juice only until 10 am. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DNS27
annapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

A few days ago I took a quick last minute trip to the beach. I booked this hotel because of great reviews, oceanside location and price. It was much better than I had hoped. The staff were super friendly and went out of their way to help. The room was very spacious, clean and steps away from the sand. It was also one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in - I didn't ever hear any noise from the hallway or our neighbors. My only complaint was that the breakfast buffet consisted of bagels and terrible pre-packaged pastries. Not even cereal. But that was minor compared to everything else. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — location at beach, friendly staff, big room
  • Disliked — buffet breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lizzyb23
BUFFALO, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

After searching the internet for a reasonably priced hotel in Ocean City we found this OCEAN FRONT hotel for $134.99/$124.99 per night. We were nervous about what it was going to look like and were pleasantly surprised! They have two pools one indoor and one outdoor over looking the beach. We were on the fourth floor and it was BEAUTIFUL!! Very clean rooms and they're efficienies so you have a fridge, microwave and sink. And the rooms are a little bigger than normal hotel rooms making for a very comfortable stay. It does have a free contential breakfast which is not very good.

• Liked — Perfect location to the boardwalk and Ocean Front
  • Disliked — Continental Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank KCLELLAN
Ellicott City, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

We stayed at this hotel from 5/29/08 - 6/1/08. We had booked a room in the building off the ocean. We didn't arrive until approx. 1:30 in the morning on our first night and upon getting to our room, we noticed a distint odor of amonia and/or cleaning solution. The carpet was damp too. We were too tired to deal with it at that time and we went to sleep.

In the morning, my wife went to the front desk simply to ask them to have the maid try to do something about the smell and she was immediately told "Oh no, we won't have that. We have an empty oceanfront suite and we'll move you there." Totally unexpected, but very much appreciated!! Obviously very customer service oriented.

The oceanfront room was beautiful. Very clean and spacious. Only negative comment would be that the wifi reception was spotty.

Upon checkout, the front desk clerk was very friendly making sure my stay was OK and leaving me with a very pleasant "please come see us again." Sometimes it's just the little things and the staff of this hotel just did those little things right.

• Stayed May 2008
2 Thank alngeoffro
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2008

Outstanding! My wife, child and I highly enjoyed our time in the Rodeway Inn Oceanfront and would definitely recommend it to others. It was clean, people were friendly, and exceeded our expectations, especially for the low price. Don't expect the Hilton, of course -- it's a basic motel, but definitely an excellent choice for the budget traveler. The indoor and outdoor pools, hallways, the room, bathroom, were all clean and pleasant. We had reserved a room on the parking-lot side, and asked when checking in if we could possibly be bumped up to the oceanfront side... and we were! No complaints... a great experience!

• Liked — Cleanliness, low price
  • Disliked — Nothing -- everything was wonderful
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family