“Okay stay but could use updating,”

Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront
Ranked #29 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
columbia
“Okay stay but could use updating,”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

The restaurant is pretty good and definitely a good value. The hotel needs updating. The people at the bell station are exceptional at the desk not so hot.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tennisaceColumbia
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 17, 2009
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post your review.
I have reviewed your comments with our Rooms Divisions Mgr and Front Desk Mgr. to have some attitudes corrected so when or if you return for another visit you will be greeted with sunny, fun attitudes.
Again thanks for your comments and for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2009

Everything about our stay was comfortable and enjoyable. You must have the breakfast buffet!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank fractald
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Also thank you for your business. Please come see us again when you plan your next visit to Ocean City.
Mountville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

My mom and I decided to plan a vacation at the beach, as we do every year, and this was the first time we had chosen Ocean City, MD, in probably fifteen years. We chose the Clarion due to it's very reasonable rate, the amenities, the ocean view from our room and, of course, it's location directly on the beach. The major disappointment during our trip, which had NOTHING to do with the hotel, was the weather. It rained the entire time we were at the beach (Monday, Sept 7 - Friday, Sept 11). The trip was full of mixed emotions because of the weather, as you can imagine. However, just about everything at the hotel met or exceeded our expectations.

Here's a review of our experience at The Clarion:

1. The front desk staff at check in was very nice. The lobby of the hotel is very inviting and you definitely feel like you're at the beach when you enter the hotel. All of the staff members are wearing tropical button up shirts and there are many different things in the lobby that reflect the bright colors of what a tropical paradise would be expected to look like.
2. There is a business center right off of the main lobby that is only accesible with your room key. It features two high speed internet computers and a printer. I don't have a lap top (just a desk top at home) so it was nice to have access to the computers to check my personal email and to explore info about Ocean City. Of course, another thing to note: There is a concierge in the hotel who appeared to be available to answer any questions regarding things to do in Ocean City. We did not use the services of the concierge.
3. Our room was on the 9th floor and looked EXACTLY like the room that's featured on the website's virtual tour. The room was great. It was very spacious. There was a microwave and fridge (the microwave seemed a little older as we had a hard time opening it several times -- however, with determination, it would finally open). There were two double beds that were very comfortable (unfortunately, the pillows had a musty smell to them but my Mom and I always travel with Febreeze. We Febreezed them every day and they eventually were fine). There was a couch in the room and a nice table and chairs that could have been used as a desk or a dining table. There were three chairs around the table. And then of course one of our favorite features, was the 'standing room only' balcony. We noticed upon checking in that the screen door on the sliding doors had a tear in it and we didn't want to be held responsible for this damage since we, of course, had nothing to do with it. We called the front desk and it was replaced immediately. We were VERY impressed.

As well, the bathroom was very spacious and plenty of towels and wash cloths were provided. Also, their bath products are made by Neutrogena and we really enjoyed using them.
4. Upon our first night of arriving, we didn't feel like going out for dinner, so we decided to order room service. The food came from the in house restaurant called "Horizons". I had a Chicken Ceasar Salad and my Mom had Chicken Breast topped with Crab Meat and a special sauce, a baked potato, some sort of vegetable, bread and she got a pot of coffee and we had glasses of water. My salad was delicious and Mom's dish (I had to taste it, of course) was beyond words! It was so good it melted in your mouth. The gentleman who brought the food in was very nice but for the price, I guess I expected him to help us set things up like a waiter would, but he didn't. The tip was included in the order so we spent $12.00 on his just brining our meal up (a 15% tip is included on room service orders). He literally set everything on the coffee table and just left. I guess I expected more but maybe I'm wrong in doing so. Regardless, the food was great!
5. Since it rained the entire time, Mom and I did a lot of sleeping in each morning, shopping, eating out and movie watching.
6. Horizons, the restaurant on the property, had a live band peform each night from 9 p.m. - ?. Bars are not are thing so we didn't go down for that but we did agree this was a nice thing to have for guests so you literally didn't have to go anywhere while you're vacationing.
7. I did use the indoor pool twice and I thought it could be a little bit cleaner than it was. The water temperature was perfect. I was the only one in the pool (while my Mom sat pool side and read), but each time I swam, many, many long hairs would get tangled in my fingers and I even had to swipe a few out of my mouth (I'm bald, so I know they weren't my hairs). As well, in the bootm of the pool you could see large strips of sand that seemed to form near a drain at the bottom. Then, several tables had trash on them from where I assume guests had been sitting and eating and drinking (technically I don't think you're allowed to eat near the pool); it amazes me how lazy people can be when they're out and can't clean up after themselves. There were trash cans all over the place.
8. There was a covered outdoor seating area that appeared to be part of the outdoor dining area when the weather was probably nicer but it was available to guests for smoking (the entire hotel is 100% smoke free with designated smoking areas on the property). My Mom is a smoker (I'm not) so it was nice for us to go sit there while it was raining so we could watch the big waves, relax and people watch. Each time we were passed by a Clarion Hotel employee we were always greeted and small talk always ensued. The Clarion also has it's own private beach and during the peak season there's a bar that's outside and an uncovered seating area with tables and chairs surrounded by tropical flowers and trees.
9. The only unfriendly employee that we came across was a bellman who was pushy and appeared to only have his agenda as a priority. On several occasions, Mom and I would return from being out and would come through the main entrance of the hotel. As we would be working our way toward the elevator, this man would apparently be loading up another guest's luggage onto a luggage cart to take to their room. More than once, he literally pushed the luggage cart right in front of us and would take the elevator that we had been waiting for. Now this may sound trivial or childish, there's a point about the story. We were a guest and we were just as important as the guest he was servicing. We felt like he was working for a tip and really disregarded anyone else in the lobby except for the people he was servicing. He just seemed very aloof and unaware of anything else that was going on around him. Things like this annoy me. If you're in line waiting for ANYTHING, you shouldn't jump the line. Of course, I didn't say anything while we were at the hotel because Mom kept telling me to let it go. Of course, I wanted to include it here.
10. Last but not least, there were two gift shops on the premises. There was a jewelry store that my Mom enjoyed visiting and then there was a general type of gift shop that offered small souvenirs, snacks, post cards and such. I think it would have been nice if the gift shop carried a little more selection of small gifts but I'm sure the size of the gift shop had something to do with it. Also, on the same floor of the gift shops and the restaurants appeared to be where the convention center activities were. There seemed to be a couple of conventions going on while we were there and though that could seem like a disruption to vacationers, it actually was nice to see that many people meandering around the hotel. There was a spa available, too, on this floor (which was caleld the Terrace) but we did not use their services. There was one other restaurant/bar that was open (and I can't think of their name to save my life).

In closing, I want to say that we were quite pleased with the hotel. We didn't get housekeeping service every single day but the one day we went out late after sleeping in and lounging (remember, we had TONS of rain) we called for housekeeping services and to our surprise they sent someone right up. It was almost 3 p.m. and we thought it was mosly likely too late to get the room cleaned up Every housekeeper we came into contact with was very friendly and offered great customer service. We definitely tipped them!

Again, it rained EVERY SINGLE DAY! We literally went on the beach for about ten minutes the first day because the wind gusts were anywhere from 20 - 40 mph and a couple of days it rained a minimum of 2 to 4 inches of rain! Even when we'd try to stand on the 'standing only' balcony, we would get pelted with rain drops that were coming down so hard it hurt!

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank RobertECroneJr
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 21, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm so sorry you had bad weather during your stay. My daughter was visiting me the same week. She came down to lay on the beach and do nothing. She did nothing, but at my house. But that is one thing that is out of our hands.

In your comments you had a few issues. I have discussed those issues with the appropreate departments and they will be corrected.

Thank you again for your time and for your business. I really enjoyed your through review of our property and hope to see you on your next visit to Ocean City
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

On the day we made reservations to stay at The Clarion Fontainbleau Hotel (101 St.) was an indication of how perfect our vacation was going to be. When I mentioned to the Clarions reservation manager ( Donna Tr) we celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary she certainly went out of her way to make our stay "perfect"...... and it was!!!

The room, (pet-friendly suite), restaurants, beach bar, health club, amenities and especially the "refreshing" friendly staff combined to make our stay one of the best vacations we ever had.

Daily entertainment afternoons (at the beach bar) & nightly (at the night club) was "top shelf" making it unnecessary to leave the hotel. Another reason not to leave the hotel was the "excellent cruisine" at the hotel's restaurant.... especially the seafood buffet.

If all this wasn't enough ..... the hotel also had a very nice gift shop.... having everything from trinkets to fine jewerly.... I purchased the perfect "anniversary gift" (ring) there as not only a symbol of our 10th anniversary but as a "reminder" of the "perfect vacation" we had celebrating it at the " Clarion Fontainebleau Resort Hotel" in

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PA-IndianRider
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 18, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your wonderful vacation. And, may I add a belated Happy Anniversary!
Nice ring girl!
I am so glad we were able to make your anniversay a memorable one. I bet we can make the 11th one even better!
Thanks again.
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

My husband and I went for a short weekend trip, since we live in Maryland. We had a condo in OC when I was a kid, so I was unfamiliar with the hotel options in Ocean City. I read reviews and received a special rate email, so I decided to check it out. The private beach was a HUGE PLUS, you are able to take drinks from their tiki bar out onto the beach with you and enjoy them there, unlike most of OC. The staff at the front desk was very pleasant and so were the doormen.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank terpsgirl3
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 15, 2009
Thank you for your business and taking the time to post your review. We hope to see you next year. The beach will be waiting.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

We spent our Anniversary weekend in June at the Clarion with our Dog. We had previously checked in to one of the two other hotels that allows dogs in OC (Serene), but left immediately due in general disgust with the filthiness of the hotel and room.

We were able to get a last minute room here, so luckily the weekend was saved. We were completely blown away with the staff, the location (right on the beach) and quality of the Clarion. Lots to do onsite too- pools, restaurant, bars, beach access.

Summary- If we go back to Ocean City, the Clarion is the only hotel I would consider staying at.

*Side note related to Dogs in Ocean City- Dogs are not allowed any beaches in Ocean City during the summer, but if you travel north about 15 minutes to the assateague national seashore (not the state park) dogs are allowed on-leash.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skihouse132
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 16, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad we were able to make your very special weekend one to remember.

Hopefully when you return next year, check out Ocean City 's public dog park on 94th street, bay side. This is convenient as it's only a ten minute walk from the hotel.

Again thank you for your comments and your business.
Farmington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

Basically, the room was adequate. The maid serivce was above average (14th floor ) Was hoping for a balcony that we could sit on and enjoy the view of the ocean. The wait staff was above average.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
ChrissA1, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 2, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry you were not impressed with our property. From your comments, sounds like everything was good except the balcony. I apologize for this but that is the way the building was constructed. May I suggest the next time you visit Ocean City you may like to try one of our condo units located next door (Marigot Beach). All these units are ocean front and have balconies large enough for table and chairs.

Again thank you for your business and comments and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.