“Great service, dirty room”

Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront
Ranked #30 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gaithersburg
“Great service, dirty room”
Reviewed August 29, 2005

My husband and I recently spent two days at the Clarion Fontainebleau at 101st and Coastal Highway. I have to say that the location was great, everything you could possibly need was within either walking distance or just a short drive away. We checked in on Saturday, August 20, arriving at about 3:30 pm. Check in time wasn’t until 4:00 pm, but the line in the lobby to check in was quite long already. It was quite a chaotic scene with all of the cars pulling in and out, but Carla greeted us cheerfully when we arrived. Observing that my husband was having trouble getting around (he’s going through two total hip replacement surgeries) she suggested that he and our dog, Billy, go inside to sit and wait while I got unloaded and parked. She even “held” a handicapped spot for me! What a gem. Check-in at the front desk with Jim was swift, if a bit impersonal. I mentioned that it was our 6th wedding anniversary, but instead of getting congratulations, I got a blank look...oh well! There’s also something going on with the luggage racks. Although I truly appreciated Russell’s help, I could have easily managed our stuff and the rack myself, but I was told that all the ones available for guest use were “taken” and that unless I wanted to wait indefinitely, I would need to utilize a bellman. Same thing when we checked out. Frankly, since there aren’t enough elevators at the hotel, it seems that being forced to use a bell person’s services just adds to the already problematic and over-crowded elevator situation. I overheard at least two families planning to hit the beach earlier the next day because of the crowds trying to get down on the elevators at the same time everyday.
Then we got to our room. On the fifth floor (the pet/smoking floor, apparently), it was right next to the elevators, but fortunately, we didn’t notice much noise during our two-day stay. We did have an ocean view, to the left of the balcony. We actually saw dolphins frolicking offshore a couple of times! I figured that the rooms that are maintained for pet accommodations probably wouldn’t be plush, but the condition of our room was very disappointing. The carpet was visibly dirty and recently stained in many places. The footstool for the chair had a large brown smear on the side of it - care to speculate? The screen door on the balcony was broken. There was water/condensation dripping from somewhere higher on the hotel, and you would get wet if you stepped onto the balcony – the first time it happened, I thought it had started raining! Probably the worst thing about the room was the shower. Imagine coming in from spending the day on the beach, all hot and sticky, and you get in the shower and -- all you can get is scalding hot water! Not fun at all, and it actually prevented us from taking a dip the next morning before checking out. It seems that for the extra $30 a night charged to keep our dog with us, the least the hotel could have done was provided a clean, usable room. Also, the pet area is rather far away from the hotel’s front entrance; Billy didn’t make it a couple of times, and had to pee on in the parking lot :) Dogs are not allowed in the dining or pool areas, and not on the beach at all during the season; however, there was a group of people at the pool bar area who had their poodle with them, and no one seemed to mind. In our opinion, Billy had to spend too much time in the room to make it worth bringing him again during regular season (although he really enjoyed the small balcony, but watching him stretch his nose well beyond the railing made us quite nervous.)
Now the good things. Overall, the staff at the hotel were just outstanding. They were unfailingly cheerful and helpful. We dined at Horizons for our anniversary dinner, instead of going to the all-you-can-eat buffet being served in a conference room. Horizons was relatively empty, and we were able to enjoy our meal at an oceanfront table. The prime rib was very good (plus you get 20% off all entrees before 7:00 pm, which was a nice surprise) and the service was attentive, if a little overly familiar. After dinner, we hung out at the pool bar, right above Lenny’s beach bar, and enjoyed the live music and an after dinner cocktail. We hit the beach around noon on Sunday, and my limping hubby went down early and was able to get the pleasant young man who rented the beach chairs and umbrellas to set us up. The food and drink service on the beach was great – Jana was very cheerful and provided speedy service too. The pool bar makes a mean pina colada (just ask for a little extra rum!!!)
Overall, the hotel staff get a 9 and the hotel itself gets a 5. I’d go back, but probably only off-season. I will post some photos of the room and views a bit later.

10 Thank billysmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2005

My family has gone to the Clarion since way back when it was the Sheraton. Unfortunately it could use some renovation. The pool area really needs to be redone, it is in need of painting, new tables and chairs, and the pool water is always slimey (sand and lotion). I would never swim in it, although the kids dont seem to mind. They are also lacking enough seating at the pool area. On the upside the pool bar makes some slammin' banana daquiris. The rooms have been redone and they are nice. The prices are quite high and I think we will look for somewhere else next year with a nicer pool (kids love swimming), a balcony where you can actually sit outside, at a more reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank Payd2Type
Reviewed August 24, 2005

First time ever to OC, MD. Selected Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel because they offeded a two room "Cabana Room" with a Master bedroom upstairs but I was hesitent because of some of the negative reviews I read here. Nonetheless I reserved the room and kept track of the reservation "in case" they lost it. They didn't.

The room was GREAT. Large, clean, well equipped with pots pans dinnerware, 2 refrigs, microwave, 2 tvs. and your door opened into the pool area. If you dont like that (some pool noise, lots of activity, or music from the bar area daily) don't get it. For my family it was perfect... the kids loved it! It was perfect for us to be able to watch them play and swim and really enjoy themselves...and isn't that what a family vacation is all about! Additionally, the hotel provided kid entertainment...magic show, a clown, crafts and an outside play area. Access to the beach was easy and the general experience was simply great.

The hotel service was also very good. During our stay we called the front desk a lot for additional towels, blankets, pillows...they were always responsive and cheerful.

The only downside I felt was that the Cabana Room I occupied (1 of 6) was not the best one in terms of an ocean view. ONLY one of the Cabana Rooms has a good view of the ocean the rest only have a side view. So ask for the one nearest to the beach. The second floor has a nice window view of the beach, the others do not.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

Our room was spacious and very clean. Location with highrise hotels/condos was great for us. Beach was filled with families, 10 minute drive to boardwalk, near restaurants. Staff was attentive and friendly and restaurant was suprinsingly good although entertainment was mediocre.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
maryland
Reviewed July 3, 2005

Stayed at this hotel from June 30th & checked out July 3rd(thank god!!). Had I known then what I know now, I never would have stayed there. Family of 5(myself, husband, 15 yr. old, 4 yr. old & 1 yr. old). I personally didn't have any issues with checking in. But the problems started immediately after that!!!! Went to room(8th floor) & almost got smashed with the elevator doors that shut after 3 seconds! Actually lost my 4 yr. old in elevator as she went up to the 16th floor & I am left standing there helpless. The doors shut before the rest of us were able to get in with our luggage. Great start, right?? It gets worse...Get to room & flip light switch & no light working at door.(Have to turn on bathroom light). Send in my 15 yr. old to turn on lamp while I hold open door so she can see & lamp light is also not working. Finally find a lamp with a working light. Call front desk to replace 2 lightbulbs. Next, the room smells so bad(like a dead animal or worse...just smelled so absolutely rotten & it was NOT a smoking room). Once we took our shoes off, figured out the carpet was soaked in spots & socks came up black from walking around. Yuck!! We end up cranking up the air conditioner & opening up our balcony door just to get fresh air circulating in there. Next, hubby makes coffee & when he goes to pour it, it makes a huge mess as he notices the coffee pot is broken pretty badly on the pour spout.(Another call to the front desk & they replace the pot). Ok, that's the first day! 2nd day, get up, take showers to find out hair dryer doesn't work & I have hair down to my butt, so you can only imagine(another call to the front desk..unreal! they must be lovin' me at this point)...man comes up & has to take dryer off the wall & says he needs to take it to the repair shop & replaces with one that works. Today, my husband who is 6'4 notices a plate of food on top of the tall beureau that holds the TV. When he gets it from the back, it is a moldy plate of fruit(probably someone's previous room service)..Nonetheless, we figured out where part of the smell was coming from. Also, most of the cleaning crew don't speak English(not a horrible thing UNTIL you need something from them & they look at you like you are crazy, especially when you are handing them a plate of moldy fruit)!!!!!! Ok, next day, since we had a Family Plan w/ our hotel room, we go to dinner at restaurant which is included. When we get to restaurant, they ask if we want the buffet. We say Sure! They send us to another room where they have the buffet, which we are promptly told it is an additional 6 bucks per person & that it doesn't include drinks, so we decide not to do buffet & go back to the restaurant where not only do we not pay anything extra, we get served, unlike what would happen at the buffet. Very rude front desk girl at restaurant(she seemed altogether unhappy to see us back)..I said we decided not to get the buffet & I swear it was like she was shocked. Anyway, we end up getting seated & this restaurant,especially the tables are not clean, sugar everywhere, dirty glasses, coffee cups & silverware. We told them at front before we got seated that we needed a high chair for the 1 yr. old(duh!!!). When we are seated, our server comes & we had already been there for 2 minutes & still NO highchair. We ask her for a highchair, she says she'll be right back. Comes back & says, all highchairs were taken to buffet room, so I said, "Can someone bring us a highchair from that room??" The girl at the front was also there & says she will see what she can do to get us a highchair. I watched her from the table & she made no attempt whatsoever to get us a highchair. She made no phonecall though at the buffet there were so many workers there, that someone could have brought us a stinkin' highchair. I chalk it up to this woman's rudeness of being someone who apparently doesn't like her job foremost & 2ndly doesn't like families with small children. Server trying to be nice & making excuses for rude woman at front, ends up talking us into a booster seat in which I told her we would need to change tables for a table that had chairs with sides to it so that she wouldn't fall off the side of the chair onto the floor in the booster seat. We changed tables though it seemed like the end of the earth was coming because I asked to do this. It seemed once we were settled, all was good from there. Server very accomodating. Food very good! Then back to the unbearably obnoxiously smelly room. Also, on this particular day, it took housekeeping til 3pm to clean our room. That is just unacceptable. I called to front desk to ask why it seemed like they skipped our room & they told me that they had til' 5pm to clean our room. Indoor pool area nice. Convenient to get to the beach. Ample parking area. We did not visit outdoor bar or indoor bar & did not visit outdoor pool(too busy seeing sites to be worried with all that). Staff at front door of hotel pleasant. People getting room service putting their trays of dirty plates & glasses in the hallway were not getting picked up all day as we came in & out of hotel. Just gross!!!~~~ Checkout was fine. After all this, WE WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN, especially after making us feel bad for wanting to eat in their restaurant(which was included in Family Plan) & heaven forbid, you ask for a highchair!!! If you expect they are prepared for families, you will be highly mistaken & extremely disappointed. I did not like the way I was treated there at all. The blatant grossness of the smelly room which I'm sure had to be hazardous & obviousness that the cleaning crew are doing the bare minimun after finding that moldy plate of food. We had stayed at Comfort Inn in the past & have never had anything less than clean facilities & wonderful service & that is where we will stay from now on. Feel free to let me know your experience, whether you went with family or not doesn't matter. I'd love to hear from you!!!!!!!!~~~~~

• Stayed July 2005
24 Thank hickenInABiskit

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Reviewed June 26, 2005

I stayed at the Clarion this past weekend. I enjoyed the experience very much. Everything you need is right in the hotel or near the hotel. I mean you walk downstairs and you have your own private beach. Plus the staff serves you drinks right on the beach. I thought the serve was great. Also the buffet was very good too. After being out for the night, we headed back to the hotel and went to the bar and that was packed too. It was a lot of fun with people of all different ages. I plan on going back to this hotel sometime this summer. This time I will be bringing my pet because they allow animals there. I had a good experience at the Clarion and would recommend it to everyone. There was also always staff around ready to help out. I liked that a lot. I knew if I had an questions I could get them answered. The only thing I didn't like was the balcony. I thought it should of been a little bigger.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2005

I just returned from a three night stay at this hotel, the hotel was very nice but I must comment on the bar service I recvd at the ocean club bar and night club. I was with a group of twenty golfers who after a day of golf had no trouble spending some time at the bar and spending some money. The only problem was a barmaid named Ellen, She did not want to be there, nor did she want to serve customers and when she did she seemed like she was doing you a favor. It was easier to find water in the Sahara desert then getting a drink or a smile from this not so happy barmaid. The Clarion should send her to a customer relations class before they go broke at the bar. Im not sure we would return to this Hotel due to the bar service we recvd.

• Stayed June 2005