“Poor Customer Service”

Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront
Ranked #33 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We just got back from a 3 day mini-vacation in Ocean City and stayed at the Clarion. We have stayed there and at the condos next door several times over the last few years. We have seen the quality of their customer service decrease over time, and now is at an all-time low. When I arrived to check in, there were at least 5 people behind the desk, none of which acknowledged my presence for the longest time, and there was not a smile or friendly greeting anywhere to be seen. Come on, folks, how hard is it to say: "Hi there, welcome, may I help you?" with even a fake smile? The check in clerk never once looked at me as she processed my paperwork. When I asked about the complimentary beach umbrella and chairs that I was supposed to get as part of the End of Summer special deal, she did not seem to know anything about it. Left the desk for a long time, while I waited. Came back and still did not know anything about it. Finally asked her supervisor who was standing nearby, and this lady said in a loud voice: "Well, she'll have to pay for it!" ( Hello, I'm standing here in front of you, you could just speak to me directly, I'm not invisible). When I pointed out the printout that specifically said "complimentary" she huffed and puffed for several minutes before finally giving me a voucher for the umbrella and chairs. Again never once spoke to me or looked at me. Only got a voucher for one day, even though we were supposed to get one for the duration of our visit. I didn't want to argue at this point. Not a great way to start a vacation. Same grumpy people at the desk at check-out. Would it kill anyone to smile and be pleasant to customers once in a while?

1  Thank ilc937
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were not extended excellent customer service. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and helping us to identify training opportunities. We are also grateful for your patronage throughout the years. I respectfully ask that you visit with us again, and give us another chance to offer improved customer service.

There are newer reviews for Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I loved this place, great location, loved the bar with the band playing , we ecspecially loved that it was dog friendly. They even allow your dog to sit at the bar. They have an indoor and outdoor pool, hotel is located on the ocean , we definitely will be back we give it a A++

1  Thank Havie1818
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thanks for the A++! Glad you had a great time. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Very nice older hotel with lots of amenities and directly on the ocean with outdoor and indoor pools.
Great breakfast buffet for $11
Rooms were very clean and quiet
OC has no alcohol on beach but because this is a 'private?' beach they sell drinks on the beach when the bar runners are working.

Room Tip: Ask for room with new AC units - better temp control. North side has less sun in room
1  Thank WillieRay

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We have proprietary rights on the beach, so we have a food and beverage wait staff out there in season, which our guests really like. We hope the Clarion Resort Fontainebleau will become a regular vacation spot for you!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Booked a Room to begin with but had extra person, upon arrival asked for soemthing a little bigger. They were able to accomadate and upgraded us to a (2) Bedroom Condo. It was a Great Experience! We'll be back again "2014"

1  Thank NewJerseians

2014 will be here before you know it! Thank you for your business, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was the first time we brought our dogs to a pet friendly hotel. They reserve 2 floors for pet owners and they keep the hotel as if you never saw a trace of animals.
Very clean, friendly service, fun atmosphere and we'll go back again.

1  Thank Yerkes

We're happy your family, including the furry ones, enjoyed your time with us! Thanks for choosing us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location...but thats it!! Dirty rooms, dog hair EVERYWHERE, filthy, fly infested dog run area and noisy construction from early am till pm! We have stayed at many pet friendly hotels and have NEVER had such awful accommodations! Will rent a house next visit for LESS money!!

4  Thank Runnergirl98

I'm very sorry to hear that you weren't pleased with your accommodations. Obviously, a dirty room is not up to our normal standard, and there is no excuse for it. I did private message you to ask what room you were in, but haven't heard back. If you get a chance, please contact me with your room number. Again, I'm very sorry you had this issue, and we wish you the best in your travels.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The rooms were very clean, but the décor is a little older. We loved that we had a private beach and that we could order food and drinks and they delivered it to where we were at the beach. We loved that. Also, hotel is very kids friendly with 2 pools and the beach steps away.

The only issue we saw was the elevators. For some reason, 4 are not enough and we used the stairs a few times. However, that can be a little challenging when carrying luggage and/or a baby.

Overall, the stay was pleasant and would definitely book this hotel again.

1  Thank RoRodriguez

I'm glad your family enjoyed your stay. During the busy summer season, the elevator can be a bit backed up, especially during check-in and check-out times. My guess is that may be the norm in many places. It's great that you'll be coming back, and we look forward to serving you again.