“Excellent staff--Truly Pet Friendly Hotel--Expensive”

Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront
Ranked #30 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We found the Clarion clean, comfortable and convenient. The property is truly pet friendly with a small fenced area of grass for business. Dinner in Horizons was excellent. The room itself was small but the beds were very comfortable and very clean. There were plenty of towels. The only real problem was that the main AC unit fan was very loud but didn't seem to provide much air circulation. The bathroom fan was a waste of time. The fantastic staff made up for any room shortcomings. This was the most pleasant, proficient staff that I've encountered in a long time. Every time we encountered a staff member we were greeted with a smile and pleasant conversation. Good job.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SummerGirl1950
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I'm glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize for the noisy AC. We are currently researching new HVAC systems, and hope to have improvement in that area soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a dated hotel in need of major renovation. They come across as a modern beach resort. That would of been true if this was the 1970's. This property is in need of major renovation to be demanding the 300 dollar per night prices they charged me. The room was falling apart and had a very unique awful odor. It was not mildew. I can not relate it to anything I know. The room was not even worth $100 a night. The property management ignored our complaints and refused to take any action. The bottom line is to avoid this property. There are better properties at a more reasonable rate closer to the boardwalk in Ocean City. This was a totally disappointing stay. The on-site restaurant horizons should be avoided for the price they charge. When we visited the restaurant for their seafood buffet the food was not at Temperature. It was cold. Parking at this property is a nightmare. There are very limited spaces close to the hotel. They have an Overflow parking lot across the street that is not very easy to access. To access this overflow lot in a safe manner you have to go one block to a crosswalk. If you don't it's like playing a live game of Frogger dodging the heavy traffic on the Boulevard just to get to the property. I will never visit this property again when in Ocean City.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mmsmithtravels
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

I'm sorry that you were not pleased with our hotel. We are constantly making renovations in the off-seasons, most recently new lobby furniture, new carpeting, new draperies, and have added flat screen TVs in every guest room. If you would, please message me the name of the manager who would not address your concerns. That is never appropriate behavior and we certainly would never condone that type of attitude.

There are 206 parking spaces adjacent to the hotel, with another 160 in the satellite lot. It's true that you need to walk just one block to the traffic light, and we encourage all guests using that lot to do so. It's very unsafe to cross any highway anywhere without doing so at the legal and appropriate crosswalk.

We wish you the best on future travels!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our stay at the Clarion was comfortable. Although the hotel is outdated and in desperate need of a renovation, the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The balcony is a joke. There is only standing room for one person.

The Clarion had plenty of amenities. The breakfast at Horizons was excellent as was the service. The drinks at Lenny's were good but a bit pricey. The food at Lenny's was average and over priced. I guess you are paying for the convenience of walking in from the beach for lunch.

We didn't use the indoor pool but my daughter loved the outdoor one. You could get service from Lenny's at the pool too and the wait staff was excellent! As with the rest of the resort, both pools could use a facelift.

Overall we had a nice stay. The only down side is the price. For the outdated state of the hotel I just can't justify paying upwards of 250 per night.

2  Thank Tiffany K

I'm sorry you weren't pleased with the value of your stay. We do feel our rates are in line with our value, and they also are in line with the town's rates. I do want to to point out that our balconies are standing balconies only, and they are advertised as such, on our website, and in all of our literature.
Thank you for complimenting our staff; we're very proud of their outstanding customer service!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We travel to the site every year for a conference. The property is a bit, well more than a bit, dated, but well groomed, for an older property. Other than the conference, what brings us back year after year are the staff and service. The same staff are there to great us yearly. They are both friendly and accommodating. When I reported to the front desk that I was not satisfied with my 3rd floor room with a view to the unknown, the front desk staff person graciously moved me to a higher floor with a better view within a few minutes. When he saw me later, he asked how was the room and inquired about my stay. I come back because these people care or a least put forth an earnest effort which is certainly lacking at many other places. I found the same level of hospitality in the restaurants; lounges; pool area, etc. The common areas are basic but adequate and quite nice. Just like Grandma's. . .not a lot of frills, but comfortable and nice. . .I always feel welcome...Very family and kid friendly. . .however great live music in the lounge at night for the 30 and older crowd. You can have a good time without having to leave this property. . .A good time at the beach although the weather was crappy.

Room Tip: Ocean view. . .high floors
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AugusteTravel

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a weekend in June, the location is good, it has access to the beach where you can get chairs and umbrellas. The check in and out was quick, the room was clean but the AC was too noisy and the beds uncomfortable (too soft). One of the mornings we went to have breakfast and we paid a fortune for cereal and left overs. Then for lunch we went to the outside bar and waited over an hour for food our food. Overall not a good experience. We won't come back next year.

1  Thank Jugaral69

I'm sorry that you had issues with your stay. We are currently in the midst of researching a new HVAC system, so we hope to have the "noisy" situation resolved in the near future. I don't know what you mean by you had cereal and leftovers for breakfast. If you had the breakfast buffet, we do keep the food refreshed until the buffet ends. I apologize for your extended wait for your food on the deck.

I do hope you made management aware of your issues while you were still here with us. I hope you do come back so we can extend to you our excellent customer service, which is what we strive for every day.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We decided to stay an extra night on our vacation. Our hotel didn't have an available room so we booked a night at the clarion resort. This hotel is just ok. It's relatively clean. It's on the beach. That's about it. The front desk clerk was unaccomidating the elevators where so slow the restaurant was also extremely over priced. My advice is you could do so much better for the price

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank adebb
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

I'm sorry you weren't happy with your recent stay; I especially apologize for the seemingly unaccommodating front desk employee. We strive to maintain excellent customer service, and take that goal very seriously. We do feel that our prices are inline with the town, and are of a good value; and we continue to do renovations every year in the off season.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Had drinks and bar food at the beach bar on 6/15
Great band food was good and Mary the bartender was excellent!!!
Made our visit a very good time !!
Next time we come to OC we will definitely visit the Clarion beach

1  Thank Hrman3

Lenny's Beach Bar & Grill is definitely a great time! We're glad you enjoyed it, and hope to see you back soon!