“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Herndon, Virginia
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I requested a room on the 3rd floor or above and was given a room on the Terrace Level (2nd floor) which was literally poolside --- I had to walk across the pool deck to get to my room --- guests should be notified ahead of time so that they can request a different room if they don't like this set up. I also had enough luggage to warrant a luggage cart. There were plenty available -- the problem --- I had to go through several sets of double doors to get to my 'poolside' room -- very awkward.

The room feels old and worn and in need of a renovation -- the carpeting, seating, all needs replacement. Definitely not worth the room rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Nina J
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
I'm sorry you weren't happy with your accommodations. The second floor rooms, which we call cabanas, have all had new carpeting, drapes and flat screen TVs installed. The couch and chair will be replaced in a few weeks. We typically use these cabanas as upgrades, since most of the third floor rooms don't have a view, and the cabanas have a spiral staircase leading to a loft with a king size bed. A bellman would have been happy to help you with your luggage cart. Thank you for posting and sharing your opinion. We do hope you will return to the Clarion Resort and give us a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed at the Clarion Fontainebleu with my wife the weekend of 14-16 September. Ocean City was particularly busy as it was Bike week. Now in fairness, I am not a biker and as such probably should have picked an alternative weekend for a beach getaway. That notwithstanding, I was not even remotely impressed with the OC Clarion resort. The property, although rennovated in 2002, is very very dated and in serious need of rehab! Check-in was a long process. There weren't many people in line however our wait was extraordinarily long as employees at reception would walk away from the counter for long periods of time. We stayed on the 3rd floor (which is a dog friendly floor) and that did not bother us since we have dog (but we did not bring her with us). We found the carpet in the hallway to be stained, dirty and littered with dog hair and food debris. A very unsavory sight for a first apperance. When we got to our room we found long strands of hair in the sink and shower and a toilet that did not work. Additionally the room had a musty odor. I was immediately disappointed and a little bitter given the price of the hotel. The only area that didn't fall short seemed to be the service by the beach bar and pool area. Staff there were prompt, courteous, and helpful. All in all I would not stay at this hotel again, there are many better options in ocean city, especially for the price you pay at Clarion.

Room Tip: Request a high floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank HotelHopper25
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I sincerely apologize that you weren't satisfied with your stay at the Clarion Resort. It's our goal to exceed every guest's expectations, and it seems we fell short of that with you. Regarding renovations, we do renovations every off season. As I'm sure you read in earlier reviews, we replaced the carpeting, draperies, TVs, and bathroom countertops (wtih granite) and floor tile over the last two off seasons. There is no justifiable reason for dirty rooms and hallways; but I do hope that during your stay, you contacted management about the issues you encountered. Thank you very much for identifying these opportunities for growth, and we hope you'll give us another chance to serve you.

Travelers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

New Windsor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while at a Convention at this hotel.
The accomodations were good, but pricey!
The food was just ok. The outdoor deck party was held in the evening and the food was cool.
The front desk were welcoming and helpful. Plenty of parking, although some of it across Ocean Highway.

1 Thank mr2turtle
Thank you for taking the time to post your review; we appreciate the opinions of all our guests.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Although I have never stayed in this hotel, I do a fair amount of booking for our board members when they attend conferences in this area. I recently book a few rooms and made a mistake that would have costed me A LOT more and benefited the hotel. Within an hour of booking online, I got a call from the hotel telling me I made the error and they were fixing it for me so I get the discounted rate. HOW HONEST IS THAT?! I must say that this kind of customer service is far and few between anymore, I am impressed and thankful!!!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Stephanie S
Thanks so much; we appreciate the kudos! I hope you get the opportunity to come visit with us in the near future.
va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Loved the Hotel. Lots of areas to roam around. Happy Hour was great..... $4 Margaritas.
Also enjoyed the food.Friday Buffet was great..tons of crab legs. Try the crab dip at Happy Hour it can be a meal for 1;with chunks of crabmeat.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Choose a higher level. Great pet area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Papx5
Thanks for the great post. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Calabash, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I went to this hotel to attend a conference. Little did I know there was an experienced staff waiting to treat me like visiting royalty. From the moment I arrived until I left, there were people there to make sure my stay was spectacular! The restaurants had really great food, well prepared and presented, the bar tenders made great drinks, Joann, you are the best. I told them I wasn't concerned about the view from my room. Well, I had an ocean view, a view across the island and the sound back to the mainland. Apparently, there are no rooms without a view. The staff at the front desk were super friendly and helpful. I discovered I had a niece that worked there. She is a sweet heart! If you are looking to be on the beach, feel pampered, and have a wonderful stay, this is THE place in Ocean City, Maryland

Room Tip: Ask for Laile at the front desk and tell her that her uncle John sent you.
1 Thank John V
Thanks for letting fellow travelers know that we have a wonderful staff. I'm very proud to work with them every day. Leila and her A team front desk staffers couldn't be a better group of people. We appreciate the great review!
Davidsonville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We've been coming to this hotel for nearly 30 years for an annual business conference. Our association returns due to the sweet deal the hotel provides for rooms for the attendees and the space it offers for meetings and exhibitors. It's fortunate that the hotel does this for it is dated, kinda musty and badly showing it's age. One of the most frustrating things about the place is that it has THE SLOWEST elevators I have ever seen.

On the plus side is its staff. They have some great, long tenured employees who have been working here as long as I can remember. It must be a good place to work which says something for the owner and management. In a town where there are over one hundred hotels in which to work, something keeps them here.

If your looking for an average place at average prices right on the beach and far removed from the hub bub of the boardwalk, consider the Clarion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor. You won't have much of a view but you won't be waiting on...
2 Thank Fullimit
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I agree that the elevators are slower during peak times, especially peak times during peak season, and I do apologize for the inconvenience. Regarding our employees, we do have a reputation for employee longevity. We have employees who have been here for more than 30 years; and a much larger percentage who have been here between 20-30 years. The employees at the Clarion Resort are extended family for each other. Thank you again for your review.