“Super impressed”

Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront
Ranked #33 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Although I have never stayed in this hotel, I do a fair amount of booking for our board members when they attend conferences in this area. I recently book a few rooms and made a mistake that would have costed me A LOT more and benefited the hotel. Within an hour of booking online, I got a call from the hotel telling me I made the error and they were fixing it for me so I get the discounted rate. HOW HONEST IS THAT?! I must say that this kind of customer service is far and few between anymore, I am impressed and thankful!!!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephanie S
StephanieHReed, Manager at Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel - Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thanks so much; we appreciate the kudos! I hope you get the opportunity to come visit with us in the near future.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Loved the Hotel. Lots of areas to roam around. Happy Hour was great..... $4 Margaritas.
Also enjoyed the food.Friday Buffet was great..tons of crab legs. Try the crab dip at Happy Hour it can be a meal for 1;with chunks of crabmeat.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Choose a higher level. Great pet area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Papx5

Thanks for the great post. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I went to this hotel to attend a conference. Little did I know there was an experienced staff waiting to treat me like visiting royalty. From the moment I arrived until I left, there were people there to make sure my stay was spectacular! The restaurants had really great food, well prepared and presented, the bar tenders made great drinks, Joann, you are the best. I told them I wasn't concerned about the view from my room. Well, I had an ocean view, a view across the island and the sound back to the mainland. Apparently, there are no rooms without a view. The staff at the front desk were super friendly and helpful. I discovered I had a niece that worked there. She is a sweet heart! If you are looking to be on the beach, feel pampered, and have a wonderful stay, this is THE place in Ocean City, Maryland

Room Tip: Ask for Laile at the front desk and tell her that her uncle John sent you.
1  Thank John V

Thanks for letting fellow travelers know that we have a wonderful staff. I'm very proud to work with them every day. Leila and her A team front desk staffers couldn't be a better group of people. We appreciate the great review!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We've been coming to this hotel for nearly 30 years for an annual business conference. Our association returns due to the sweet deal the hotel provides for rooms for the attendees and the space it offers for meetings and exhibitors. It's fortunate that the hotel does this for it is dated, kinda musty and badly showing it's age. One of the most frustrating things about the place is that it has THE SLOWEST elevators I have ever seen.

On the plus side is its staff. They have some great, long tenured employees who have been working here as long as I can remember. It must be a good place to work which says something for the owner and management. In a town where there are over one hundred hotels in which to work, something keeps them here.

If your looking for an average place at average prices right on the beach and far removed from the hub bub of the boardwalk, consider the Clarion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor. You won't have much of a view but you won't be waiting on...
2  Thank Fullimit

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I agree that the elevators are slower during peak times, especially peak times during peak season, and I do apologize for the inconvenience. Regarding our employees, we do have a reputation for employee longevity. We have employees who have been here for more than 30 years; and a much larger percentage who have been here between 20-30 years. The employees at the Clarion Resort are extended family for each other. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I go to an annual conference at this hotel. While it is very very expensive even at the negotiated conference.rate, it is a pretty nice hotel. The pools are nice, conference venue good and beach fantastic. Food and drink are average in taste but super high in price. The rooms are barely above average and are dated. The staff is extremely nice and helpful so trade-offs folks, depends on what you want for your OCMD vaca.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank sevenangels

Thank you for your post. Just to make you aware, we do renovations every off season. Over the past few years, we've replaced the draperies, carpeting, and added flat screen TVs. We've also replaced the countertops with granite, and added new tiled flooring in guest room bathrooms. I believe the prices are in line with most other Ocean City venues, and we believe we offer a great value for our products and services. We appreciate your post, and look forward to being able to serve you in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was here for two nights Sept 6 & 7, 2012. Everything was fairly nice. When I arrived in the room there was a small part of what appeared to be a cigar under the coffee table (non-smoking room). It was cleaned up by housekeeping on their regular daily cleaning. Additionally ... only... in the morning, each morning... there were small, writing pen plunger sized, dark bugs in the bathroom... only in the bathroom (from what I could tell). They were NOT bed bugs. they ran fast, but I killed 7 the first morning and 8 the second morning. I found none late morning or after; only early morning. They seemed to come from the dropped ceiling in the bathroom and from under the commode. Keep everything zipped up when you stay here. Would be a 4 star had there been no bugs.

1  Thank ilikepurple069

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused you by the bugs in bathroom in the morning. After messaging with you, we had the floor you stayed on, plus the floor above and below inspected for any bug activity. Apparently, whatever was there during your stay is gone; but we treated the areas anyway.
We always appreciate being informed of areas where we need improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I just spent the last four days at the Clarion on 101st Street in Ocean City, Md and we so thoroughly enjoyed our stay. When I booked our reservation, I requested a higher floor and NO pet room. Both of my requests were honored with no problem. We were on the 15th floor in a room with 2 double beds, a sleep sofa, fridge and microwave, table and chairs, two dressers and a bathroom.
The first thing I noticed when I opened the door to the room was the smell...........it smelled CLEAN! Very clean, and very pleasant. Everything in the room was fresh and clean, the carpets weren't worn anywhere, and were vaccumed everywhere. The carpeting was dark blue, so any misses or lint would have shown immediately. There were no stains visible either. The beds were clean and crisp with four pillows (2 soft, 2 firm) on each bed, and the sofa bed was also newer and stain free. Nice neutral colored drapes covered the large windows and sliding door to the small balcony. Each room has its own air conditioner that you can set to your comfort. Ours wasn't working, so we called the desk and within 5 minutes, a repairman arrived and put a whole new unit in, so we were cool the rest of the night (it was VERY hot). Unfortunately it had stopped working again by morning, and again, there was a second new air conditioner put in within 30 minutes, and no problems after that.
The bathroom was spacious and clean, and they weren't selfish with soaps or shampoos or towels at all. And every day that the maid cleaned, you could tell that she CLEANED! Not just replace the towels and make the beds. Water spots were gone each day, the toilets were scrubbed as well as the tub and sink each day. And they actually give you glass glasses instead of those wasteful plastic cups in most hotels. All in all, we were 99% happy with our choice. The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was the small balcony. The balconies are not large enough to sit outside on, only to stand one or two people at most. I would have liked to be able to sit outside at night and watch the ocean or the bay.
The staff of the hotel were all polite and attentive, anxious to help any way they could. And I believe they keep the pets on one floor. We never smelled or found any evidence of dogs there unless we were coming in or going out and ran across an owner with their pet on a leash.
The whole hotel was clean and well maintained. They have a wonderful covered oceanfront deck with tables to enjoy a cold drink from their tiki bar, or their inside bar, or to just sit and relax, and with two pools......perfect!
We would definitely stay there again..........and again............and again. A++++++

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank momoo

We're always happy to hear that our guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves! Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We hope you come back year after year!