“Families with toddlers BEWARE!!!!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn Oceanfront

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Quality Inn Oceanfront
Ranked #30 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Newburg, Md.
“Families with toddlers BEWARE!!!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and always have found it to our liking. This time was no different except for one large difference. I have a two year old daughter and she will pretty much try anything and get into everything. Well we stayed on the fifth floor and we were ocean front. We love to here the noises coming of the beach so we used to like to keep the door to the balcony cracked so we could hear the waves crashing. However on the balcony the bars are so far placed apart my daughter had her whole head and half of her body through the bars before my husband grabbed her arm. So she was not aloud on the balcony while we were there. I mentioned this to the front desk and was told that they have netting but they do not put it up because some people say it effects the view for them. I told her I believe this needs to be fixed, I mean even if I had the netting how strong is that. I was also given a room with out a bath tub, it only had a handicap shower with a two & seven year old this was not convienent. So if you stay here and need a actual bath tub you need to inform them of that when you make the reservation. It is a nice hotel besides that though, but I don't think I will stay here again until they fix the problem with the balconies.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
dover, delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

Hotel was very nice, staff was extra nice and mad you feel as if you were at home ! Our room had all new appliances and carpet! i will be coming back to this hotel next year for my summer vacation!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank lindeery
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

This was our first visit to Ocean City, so we weren't exactly sure what to expect. Stayed 3 nights at the Quality Inn Oceanfront. I felt that the price of the hotel room was on the expensive side, but during my initial research found that it was a common rate for Ocean City.
We originally booked a poolside room. I figured that the poolside room would still have a balcony and view to the outside, just not the ocean. So after checking-in we went to check out our 2nd floor poolside room.
The room itself was fine, but it had no natural light. There were 2 small windows on either side of the door into the hotel room, but no natural light made it through them because the overhang from the walkway/porch above was so deep. And at the other side of the room, the sliding doors went out onto an interior balcony that opened up in the atrium, 'tropical oasis', area. If you don't want to see the sun or outside while staying at this hotel than this room would be fine, but I need some natural light. So we went back to the front desk and upgraded to an oceanfront room (which surpisingly was only $50 more total for our 3 night stay). This was the best desicion. Our hotel room was clean, not fantastic, but clean and the view was great.
I agree with the previous reviewers comments about the tropical oasis/atrium. It didn't appear clean at all (we did not use the indoor pool or hot tubs at all). The birds in their cages were covered up at night, so they weren't loud all night long. But the covers were removed at 730/8am so if we were late sleepers they would have woken us up every morning.
For this hotel I would recommend an oceanfront room on the 4th or 5th floor. Nothing lower; otherwise when you walk out of your room you are in the 'tropical oasis'.
The beach at the hotel was perfect location, not too busy, and very easy to access from the hotel.
We also did not use the outdoor pool, but it was always very busy. And in the middle of the parking lot.
Also, the gym is very small and the free wireless internet was spotty. We could not always get it to work.

1 Thank milano14
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

A picture is not worth a thousands words. The only way to experience whether something is to your liking is to see it in person. This was in my opinion, the worst hotel I ever attempted to stay at. When you pay a premium, $260 per night which is comparable to other hotels on the water, I expected the accommodations to be at least adequate. Please note, I am not that picky and realize not everyone may see things the way I did.

Upon entering the parking lot we noticed the outdoor pool in the back of the hotel in the parking lot positioned between the parked cars. Not the best locale, but not the hotel's fault. It was pouring rain so I left my family in the car to check-in and walked through some cheap automatic folding doors, like walking into a CVS, into what was supposed be a lobby. The lobby appeared no larger than an average size hotel room, more like a foyer, and I noticed a very foul odor. Not what I expected at all. We were an hour early so the person behind the counter told us they would call my cell phone when the room was ready. So, we went exploring. Check-in time came and went and no call. So, at about 4:15 I came back and the key was conveniently waiting for me. Glad we didn't wait for the call. Since it was still pouring, I left my family in the car to go see the room. So glad I did. As I walked through the "atrium" to get to the only elevator, I noticed this was where the foul odor was coming from. The atrium consisted of an indoor pool and two poorly maintained hot tubs surrounded by sopping wet carpet everywhere. There was sand and stains all over the place. You had to walk through a narrow path by the hot tubs and pool and it was very dark, humid, hot and smelly with a few parrots in cages. It was a dreary environment to say the least. They must depend on the sunlight coming from the atrium glass to provide light but since it was pouring rain that day, it was like walking through darkness. The lights were very dim. Not a cheery bright feeling. As I stood there looking at everything I noticed what felt like rain drops on my head. I looked up and noticed it wasn't. It was the leak coming from the skylight above.

But now the fun part. I got to my door and when I started to put the card key in the slot I noticed the door was already starting to swing freely open. It was not latched and could not be closed shut. No need for a key! I went into the room and looked on the other side and to my shock, noticed the door molding completely ripped off the right side of the door frame with no way to secure the door shut. The mechanism could not latch. I could not believe that this room was given to us like this! How can this not be reported by hotel hospitality or staff before handing over the keys? I went back down and nicely stated the issue and that this obviously would not be a safe room to put my family. Their reaction was so nonchalant and they simply said they would just give us another room. So I went back to inspect the second room and surprisingly it was nice inside. But everything else about this hotel wasn't and the hotel, by evidence of the reviews I have read, are better suited not boasting and keeping the other amenities. Should have stuck to my instincts. Both hot tubs were filthy and half full with exposed hoses and plumbing everywhere. Can't believe this would be acceptable code but what do I know. The bird cages where the parrots are kept were filthy. What was supposed to be an indoor oasis was more like a tropical nightmare. Even my son could not stop sneezing in the lobby and was holding his shirt over his nose. In theory, this could be a good concept but the upkeep is probably more challenging than in more traditional hotels. You just got the sense that no one cared about keeping this place looking and smelling good. I simply told the front desk I could not stay here and we went off and found another hotel at an even better location that we ended up being very happy at for close to the same price.

If your looking for a decent room with an unarguably good view then fine. But getting to it should be a pleasurable experience and this was clearly not the case. I'm surprised this place isn't condemned but I can't judge whether something is too code or not. The indoor facilities were important to me in case it rained, and at $260 per night I had expected something at least clean and adequate. What a potential nightmare!

2 Thank OCtraveler_9
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

We recently took our summer vacation, and stayed at the Quality Inn, on 5400 Coastal Highway in Ocean City, Md.

The Hotel was very clean, and the Staff were terrific. Whomever is managing that Hotel, is doing an Excellent Job!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Beachy159
cpf172
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

At a time when so many companies are watching every penny and lacking in the customer service department, I was so pleased with our interaction with the reservations desk at Quality Inn Oceanfront.

We were scheduled to visit last weekend, but my son was hospitalized Friday night. Expecting to lose all of our money, we'd thought we'd try to apply it to another visit down the road at least. The reservations desk, with no questions asked, refunded the full amount despite the cancellation policy.

My son is out of hospital and healthy and we'll certainly be back at this hotel in the next few weeks to enjoy our time at the beach!!

3 Thank cpf172
Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

I stayed at Quality Inn with my 8 year old grandson and some friends. We had a great stay. The Hotel has everything you need without going anywhere. The beach is close. The outside pool is very nice and has a bar. I felt very comfortable letting my grandson wander around. He loved the birds. I will definatley stay again.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family