“Stay away from Princess Royale Ocean Front”

Princess Royale Resort
Ranked #3 of 104 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed October 1, 2006

Just came back from OC for the Weekend. This hotel is just awful. I reserved an ocean front suite on an upper floor. They gave me a 1st floor unit. When I complained to the night Manager, he said that there was nothing he could do. He was very rude and unhelpful. The entire hotel smells like mildew. I complained Saturday morning to the day Manager, who once again said that there was nothing he could do. He proceeded to tell me that he had been in every room on the first floor and that I had a nice view. I told him I had a nice view if I like looking at a bush. The staff is very unfriendly. To get to our room, we had to take the elevator up to the 2nd floor, get off walk this winding corridor that zigzagged, to get on another elevator to go back down to the first floor. It took 15 minutes to get from the lobby to our room everytime we wanted to go somewhere. Now imagine doing this while carrying your luggage. This hotel is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. Do yourself a favor and not stay at this hotel

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
11  Thank deedee3370
PrincessRoyale, Administrative Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2006

I am certainly sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay at the Princess Royale.

To address your concerns, please note that it is not possible to "reserve a room on an upper floor" as room numbers are not assigned until the time of arrival. As is stated on our confirmations, special requests (such as upper floor, near another party, etc.;) are gladly accepted but are not guaranteed. Every effort is made to accommodate ALL special requests but it is not always possible; especially during sold out periods such as September weekends. I do feel it important to note that the 14 oceanfront suites that we have that are located on the ground floor are quite popular and often requested as most guests are more concerned with the proximity of their suite to the ocean than its proximity to the lobby. And, of course, our bell staff is always available to assist our guests with their luggage.

With regard to an "odor", perhaps you were not aware that Ocean City recently experienced two terrible storms within days of each other during which dozens of properties in town, ours included, were flooded. A professional water damage company was hired to complete all the storm repairs, including pulling all the carpet to remove and destroy all the padding from the first floor hallway and suites. I am sure the "odor" that you are referring to was that process which has now been completed.

We certainly regret any inconvenience you experienced and hope that on your next visit to Ocean City that you find accommodations that exceed your every expectation.

Reviewed September 26, 2006

This property is infested with ants. Our room was crawling with them and the management only offered to move us to another room. A maid showed up with a can of bug spray. Believe me, This will not take care of their problem. I will never stay here again. It was a hastle to even get to speak with a manager. Very bad customer relations!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Hotrod47
PrincessRoyale, Administrative Assistant at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2006

Our property is absolutely NOT "infested" with any type of insects. In fact, at a cost of almost $10,000.00 per year, the entire property is treated WEEKLY, by a national pest control company, as a PREVENTATIVE.

However, it is not uncommon, when the screen doors of a suite are left open for gnats and/or noseeems, which are common in coastal environments, to enter the suite. And, I assure you, contrary to your posting, that is NOT an "infestation".

I certainly apologize for any sightings that occurred in your specific suite and am pleased to hear that our staff offered to promptly relocate you to another suite. However, with all due respect, to state that the "property is infested" is not accurate nor something that you are qualified to state as you only have knowledge of what you experienced in ONE of our 335 suites, from which we offered to move you. And, we have received no other comments regarding this matter which is further evidence that there simply is NOT an infestation.

Reviewed August 19, 2006

OK folks....just look at all of the reviews and then you will realize that this property is a definite NO GO. First, they charge 1st class prices and then give 4th class service. Couldn't get linens for the pullout until we called the front desk 4 times. We were awoke one morning at 6:00 AM to loud noises coming from the unit above . We called the front desk and they did NOTHING! Everything is extra at this dump (local phone calls, Internet access, $7.00 mixed drinks) Now I know why they constantly have vacancies. No outdoor pool and the indoor one is filthy.
There are plenty of hotels in OC to stay at but this one should not be on your list! Adios Princess Royale!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
14  Thank mderin
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Administrative Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2006

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay at our hotel. The items that you describe in your posting are not those we strive to provide. Certainly, it is not acceptable to have to call more than once to obtain additional requested linens though they are usually already in the closet of each suite if we are aware of the correct number of registered guests.

With regard to the nominal surcharge for Internet access, I believe you will find that we are very competitive with other resorts in regard to that fee. Of course, charges for different amenities vary from property to property. For example, please keep in mind that many hotels charge for parking and/or valet service; we do not; they are complimentary at the Princess Royale.

I also assure you that our drink prices are typical of those throughout the resort.

I am certain when you contacted the Front Desk regarding your noise complaint that they, in turn, contacted Security; as is standard operating procedure.

And, as I have stated in previous posts, our indoor pool is cleaned MANY times a day. A guest need only be at the pool a short time to witness this. However, when you host over 1,000 guests per day in the summer; many of whom are children that do not rinse well before entering, there is going to be sand in the pool. That is just a fact of being a beach resort.

Fortunately, the service that we strive to provide does result in us usually NOT having vacancies most days of the summer and many weekends year-round.

Again, I am sorry that we did not exceed your every expectation. I sincerely hope that on your next trip to Ocean City that you find accommodations more to your liking.

Reviewed August 13, 2006

We are overseas travellers living in the US for two years. We arrived in Ocean City without accommodation to stay one night. As the Princess Royale was noted as being popular we were able to secure a booking. We found the property to be dated, unclean and certainly not what you would expect for a three star property. The pool area was dirty, the lifts creaky, the noisy air conditioning unit positioned on the wall right next to your bed and apart from the front desk area which was tidy, the rest of the resort is shabby. You were even expected to leave a tip for the cleaner after paying a large rate for the nights stay. I would certainly not stay here on an extended holiday and was most disappointed. Needless to say we won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank LeightonNZ
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Our first family vacation was wonderful and the princess royale played a huge part. We arrived around 7:00 pm on friday 08/04/06. Check-in was smooth. The room was ready and clean. Since this was our first trip to OC we didn't know what to expect. while the hotel isn't the most modern in decor, the location and amenities are perfect for families with young children. We loved the indoor pool, our ocean view balcony and the fact that the beach is just steps away. The food was comparable in price to other eateries and having a restaurant on the premises made things easier for us. The sofa bed was old and HORRIBLE, but fortunately our children our young (5 yrs and 6months), so they bunk with us anyway. I loved the tempurpedic mattress and had been wanting to try one. All-in-all we were extremely pleased with our stay and can't wait to return. Hopefully the room furnishings will be updated when we do.

Thanks to everyone for making our trip a blast!

Stayed: August 2006
7  Thank mrslafair

Thank you for your patronage and your posting regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you found everything, with the exception of the sleep sofa mattress, to be to your liking.

While this is our 15th season, we did complete a multi-million dollar renovation in 2003.

Upon check out you should have received our popular bounce back coupon for a future off-season complimentary Thursday or Sunday night when staying Friday or Saturday. We hope that you will utilize the coupon so that we can look forward to seeing you at the beach again soon!

Thank you again.

Reviewed July 19, 2006

I just wanted to write a review since most of the reviews I have read have been so negative and I had very low expectations of this hotel before my recent stay there. However, after just returning from a 4 night stay I must say that we had a great time and will definitely return again. We had a 2 bedroom condo in the North tower. It was clean, quiet, and had a fabulous oceanfront view. Everyone we encountered was friendly and courteous and we encountered noone who had problems speaking English. We did the breakfast buffet which was OK. We liked going to Layton's next door better. We also did the seafood buffet in the ballroom which was OK as well. My only minor complaint is that on the weekends there is a guy providing musical entertainment outside by the beach bar and the sound really carries especially when you have young children who are trying to nap. The Tempur-Pedic bed was wonderful. My husband who has a bad back loved it. We will probably be buying one soon.

Stayed: June 2006
17  Thank plucker001
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Administrative Assistant at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2006

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your review and please be assured that we value your comments and opinions.

We are receiving SO many wonderful comments from our guests regarding our new Tempur-Pedic beds. If you did not take the promotional information that was available in your suite regarding the beds and would like it sent to you as you consider purchasing one of your own, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to send it to you.

Thank you again for your comments. I trust you received your "Bounce Back" coupon at check out for a complimentary future off season Thursday or Sunday evening when staying on a future off season Friday or Saturday evening so that we can look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Ocean City.

Diane Anderson, Administrative Asst.
Princess Royale
proffice@dmv.com

Reviewed July 5, 2006

I was searching for reviews of Ocean City hotels when I came across the Princess Royale link. I went to the hotel for New Year's Eve of 2005. I'm still so upset at our treatment at this hotel (more than a year later), that I had to write a review.
We bought the New Years' Eve package which included a buffet, live music, and open bar and a 2-night stay for $500 (per couple). We chose the Atrium Package (meaning the party was in the atrium). Well when we checked in an hour before the party everything was great. The lobby was nice as well as the atrium. We went to our room and realized we had a different smoking preference from our reservation, so we called the front desk. We were told the manager had to call us back. We waited for 30 minutes for a call-back, and at that point decided we should get dressed for the party. After we were dressed, still no call, so we called them. We were told a bellhop would be up to help with our bags because they were giving us a new room. Great! We waited for the bellhop...the party has started by this point. He never showed. So my husband in his suit and me in 3" heels moved our own bags. Naturally we wanted to speak with a manager but no one was available...go figure.
Grudgingly, we went to the party...late,and hoped to salvage our anniversary and new years. The party seemed to be fun until children started coming to join their parents. An adult party is not appropriate for children and we paid alot of money for it.
Well the next morning, my husband went to the front desk to complain about the lack of service the night before and we were given a ocean-front room. We nicknamed it "the Miami Vice room" because the decor was reminiscient of the show. But despite the decor, the room seemed fine. We began to prepare dinner (it had a full kitchen) and noticed the room was VERY cold, so we called the front desk AGAIN. Maintainance came and told us the heater was broken and he couldn't fix it, we would have to move AGAIN.
Our patience was waning.
We moved to another room. This time the bellhop showed. The remainder of our vacation (a half a day) was uneventful but we were upset. Upon check-out we spoke with management and was told they could do nothing to compensate us (not even a free breakfast) but we could write the Executive Comittee (whoever they are).
So we wrote them and told them of our terrible experience. We received a one-night stay during the off-season. A $75 room doesn't compensate for the $500 we lost and wasted. We went during a holiday. When we complained about that, we were told that was all the hotel would do for us.
I just don't want someone else to loss money as we did. I wish I would have read the other reviews before booking this "vacation".

• Stayed: January 2005
17  Thank Margareeta
Management response:Responded July 12, 2006

I regret that your stay with us over a year ago did not exceed your every expectation. I certainly wish that I could review your concerns however as your stay was over a year ago the record is no longer available.

With regard to smoking and nonsmoking, 75% of our hotel suite are nonsmoking. However, nonsmoking is by request only and is not a guaranteed room type. Please note that we do out BEST to honor ALL requests but sometimes it is simply not possible; especially on a sold out event such as New Year's Eve. However, I understand from your posting that your room was relocated upon your request.

I am sorry that a manager did not return your call more promptly. As with every New Year's Eve since our opening in 1991 ALL managers work the three New Year's Eve parties as we host over 1000 guests that evening. Accordingly, I am sure, due to the time of your request being at the start of the New Year's Eve parties, all the managers were assisting in that capacity.

Again, I regret that we did not exceed your every expectation.