“Don't let the bad review ruin your vacation”

Princess Royale Resort
Ranked #5 of 103 Hotels in Ocean City
Pittsburgh, PA
“Don't let the bad review ruin your vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

My family of five stayed at the Princess Royale for a few days after the 4th of July this year. I booked the reservation back in March, then I checked Tripadvisor and became concerned based on some of the comments.

Let me tell you, there is nothing to be concerned about. My kids (9 mos, 4, and 5) and enjoyed the hotel. The pool was very good and clean. The access to the beach was great. The hotel staff was very helpful. The only subpar area was the hostess and wait staff in the restaurant at breakfast. I would stay again.

I am glad I didn't let past reviews deter our visit.

6 Thank ZippyPittsburgh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2005

Just returned from the Princess and had a terrific time. I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Suites on 17th street. (Which might be the best hotel in OC) but they were booked.I read some of the few bad reviews about this place so I was a little worried about going there. But I have to say everything was perfect. Had a room on the 4th floor, pool view because I have 3 kids. Room was comfortable and clean which to me is the most important thing. Cleaning service was great, would have been better if I spoke Rusian but asking for extra towels is the same in any language. Staff was very helpful and kind. Location is perfect and I loved the burgers at the beach side bar.
2 negatives:
1. Small balcony over looking the pool. It fits , at most, 2 adults on slim fast.
2. Charging 99 cents for the Mr. Coffee packs is just a bad managing decision. Paying $300 a night should get you free morning coffee.
Stay here.... You love it. Buy your coffee at Laytons acroos the street. Just for principal....

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Administrative Asst. at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2005
Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you on your next trip to Ocean City!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

We just returned from this resort, and we had a great stay! The Customer Service was excellent - they even called our room on our first night to confirm that everything was OK! This was something that we have never experienced at other hotels, and we were very impressed. The rooms were large and very clean - the housekeeping staff did a fantastic job the entire time that we were there. I read some of the previous reviews the day before that we were leaving, and was a little nervous about my choice, but we had an awesome time, and would definitely recommend this resort to anyone that is considering it!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

We visited The Princess Royale and had an Ocean front suite on the fifth floor.

Day one. We get in the room only to find a closet door leaning up against the wall. The maintenance man commented that the cleaning lady should have reported that. He fixed it immediately, but it kept coming off the track so it remain against the wall. One teaspoon and only four towels for a family of five. They however fixed that problem.

Day two. No cleaning services at all. I was not a happy camper. Even when I called in the morning for fresh towels and told them what had happened, they did not get to our room until late afternoon.

Day three. I needed to do wash. Well after the (what seemed like) two mile walk and only ONE washer and ONE dryer it wasn't easy. You better have quarters on you because there is no change machine in any of the vending areas. However, you will certainly find dirty dishes in there with you. I am talking about six plates and utensils glasses, etc... and I have to stand in there and fold clothes. These were not morning dishes. They were from the night before. This was all the time.

Day five. Time to leave. Well, the false fire alarm that woke everyone up at 6:40 am wasn't even annoying to me because that can not be helped. However, seeing a beach rental charge on my bill and having to tell the girl repeatedly that I did not rent anything was. The day it was rented, we didn't check in until late afternoon, she finally took it off. She then commented that she would find out who did this.

The room itself was clean. Except for the leaky ceiling and peeling away of the wallpaper. The blankets had holes in them. No fitted sheet for the pull out couch, which by the way is facing the wrong way. You have to turn your head completely to the right to see the T.V. The corridor was dirty, smelled of mildew. Always dirty dishes in the vending area and the laundry area. You were lucky to find an English speaking person. You need a map to find anything.

If I were staying in a less expensive hotel, then I would not be complaining. That is not the case. When I am spending $319.00 a night, I expect certain things. They give you nothing. Not even a packet of sugar without purchasing a cup of coffee.

We will never stay here again. In my opinion this hotel is way overpriced for what you get. Where is the multi million dollar renovated hotel they did in 2003? Things got that bad in only two years? I think at one time The Princess Royale was the place to stay, not now.

One final note. I am use to at check-out to be asked "How was my stay?" or "Was everything okay"? Nothing, just the bill and a coupon for staying in September or something. I threw it out.

Still waiting for the Supervisor, Ruby, to call me back in a couple of minutes. That was three hours ago.

30 Thank Bellanoches
, Administrative Assistant at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2005
With regard to the posting entitled "Oh, What a Stay", upon review of the claims made in the posting our records indicate that during the Trip Advisor's Member stay, she did not contact Guest Services nor the Manager on Duty regarding her dissatisfaction. Had she done so, we would have promptly sent a Housekeeping Supervisor to her suite and/or immediately relocated her to another suite.

Ms. B****** waited until she arrived back at home and then contacted the Manager on Duty, Ruby who did, in fact, speak with her on the evening of July 15.

Unfortunately, if we are unaware of a problem we can not possibly be expected to correct it.

We strive daily to provide each guest with outstanding service. However, in the event that, during an isolated incident, something is overlooked, if it is simply called to our attention we work quickly to address it to the guest's satisfaction.

I do feel it important to note that our records also indicate that feedback received via comment cards and welcome calls from other guests staying in suite 570 both prior to and since this guest all indicate satisfaction with the suite and service.

Accordingly, I regret that we were unable to exceed her every expectation.

long island, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2005

Back from a 5 night stay at the Princess Royale,. This is the one on the ocan, there is another on the bayside. The staff was very friendly, the rooms clean. the hotel itself was clean. Big rooms. Nothing to complain except that it is far from the boardwalk. However, it seems that the hotels closer to the boardwalk are more run down and geared toward singles and not family.

9 Thank chris516
, Adminstrative Assistant at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2005
Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you on your next visit to Ocean City!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2005

My wife and I spent our 1 year anniversary at the Princess Royale. We are not snobby travelers, but enjoy staying at nice hotels. This stay was good- its what you make of it- I think some people just like to complain. I'll give the good and the not so good for any of you considering staying here.

Good- Large rooms- we had a suite overlooking the pool- it was all that was available when we booked- but it was fine. Had problem with toilet running- was fixed immediately-

Location- away from the boardwalk noise, right on beach- beach area was very nice- volleyball nets available

Outside bar/ restaurant- nice to be able to walk up and grab a cold beer- food ( ie hot dogs/ pretzels/ sandwiches) was good for what it was.

Recommended restaurants- BJ's on the water ( 40th/Bayside) and Paoli's 115th st

Bad- pool was out of order for entire day Sunday- was disappointed, as were numerous families with kids- Just a sign hung- no explanation- front desk and staff had no clue what was wrong or when it would be fixed- was working next day

Staff- most staff had little or no English skills and didn't understand what you were saying- when asked directions, general hotel info, etc

Mini golf - located on roof- hot as all heck- pathetic in design and quality- if you like mini golf- go elsewhere to play

Overall- We made the best of our stay, and had a great time- the weather was great. I would probably stay here again- but would shop around first.

• Stayed June 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2005

Where do I start? My wife, Louisa, and I just returned from a 5 day/4 night stay at the Princess Royale and we were delighted. The room, hotel and beach are all Excellent.
We arrived June 22, 2005, 2:30pm but couldnt check-in early since our room was not ready. We returned at 4:05pm and we were greeted with a prompt check in. Our vehicle was parked in the garage by courteous valet personnel and also had our bags brought to our room by the bellhop. I usually tip a few dollars (here-and-there) on all vacation as we have learned, service seems to be better. We did tip at the Royale, although not necessary but appreciated when we did.

Room: All rooms are Suites. Did you hear me? All Suites... Not a box room like other comparable hotels. We requested a King size bed and non smoking (top floor); both were granted. The room was HUGE, with balcony overlooking swimming pool. It had two TV's, Iron w/ bd, Full kitchen & Livingroom and a very nice shower. I am actually in the process of replacing our showing head at our home after using the Royals. The OxyGenics shower is really relaxing and saves water. The hot water during dinner time doesnt last forever, but is sufficient. Room: A+
Pool: Really nice but crowded with plenty of kids. It is Olympic size with 3 Jacuzzi (1 inside, 2 outside) and 2-Suana's (one didnt work that well). But over all nice atmosphere. The pool area also has pool tables, ping pong table and video games. This is the area when you will defiantly realize it is a Family Resort. Do note: There is no life guard on duty and I personally feel that hotel should double think this as there is alot action happening.
Pool: B
Restaurant: There are 2-4 restaurants located on the premises but not all open until July 1, so we were not able to experience all. Schooner Restaurant though is very nice. The food is GOOD and the portions are even BETTER. Most workers were International and very respectful. The service was prompt. We ate there for Brunch and had a late drink. It did seem late light, Mgrment could not be found and workers waiting to serve. The bar had cold drinks and great service. There is also a grill on the Beach, but I'll get to that later. Restaurant: A
Personnel: Respective and Courteous. From waiter(s), bellhop, valet guys and even house cleaning. One day we ran back to our room a few minutes after the room was cleaned and a housekeeper, asked if there was anything she can do to make it better or something she missed to simply let her know. Impressive! The Valet guys are really kool. I actually have a $1000+ stereo in my car and forgot my cell phone + digital camera a few times and nothing got stolen. Trustworthy. Personnel: A+
Beach: Nice. The past few years we have gone to Outer Banks, Jamaica and Mexico but wanted to give old O.C. a whirl. The beach was a tad crowded as I think we caught the tail end of senior week, but the youngsters were fine. Everyone is simply working on his or her tan. They had beach volleyball activity. There is also Beach chairs and umbrellas for rent per day, but we had our own so we didnt get. There is Live entertainment (one man band) everyday. We didnt catch his name, but does cover songs. He plays for a few hrs in the afternoon and is a delight to hear while basking in the sun! There are two "Huts" set up one-minute off the beach. Food, Drinks and Ice cream stocked. Very nice addition. Beach Atmosphere: A
Other things to note: Roof top mini golf available, but the course is ancient. No biggy. Fun to do!

Overall our experience was really Great. Sometimes we get away for a day or two at the Castle and the Stand, but we think those days are over. Short or Long get-aways will now be spent at the Princess Royale. I highly recommend this hotel as long as you dont mind kids. Ohhh I forgot, I got the best deal. It was actually a lot cheaper than booking directly with the Hotel. You ask, where can you find this better price?
"If I told ya, I may hafta kill ya". Joking.
Go hither at the Royale, it will be a Blast!

Adam & Louisa